Re: [KL] Sound design on the computer

  • Marc Halbr├╝gge
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1, 2002
      Hi Steven!

      There's already a lot of work done.

      At sonikmatter, you can take a look at the kurzfile project that give's you the
      specifications you need.

      If you're coding in C++, you can take a look at my old programs. There's already
      some classes for sample, keymap and program object that work fine (look at
      http://www.geocities.com/mhalbrue/kcompact/ for an introduction,
      http://www.geocities.com/mhalbrue/kcompact/k25s_en.htm provides source code
      including program objects).

      By now, I don't have the time to work on it, but I would help you getting
      started.

      Greetings
      Marc

    • lhopkins1@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 3, 2002
        Dear Steven,

        In the Synth-Tek Studio, we have 5 Macs and a Windows PC on an ethernet
        network (for file sharing purposes). All the Kurzweil, AKAI, and Roland
        samplers are connected via SCSI (we've got a switcher box that will take any
        sampler off of the SCSI buss with the Flick of a switch). This way we can
        dump samples directly to the samplers using a program like Spark. We use a
        MOTU 896 firewire digital audio I/O and a Unitor 8X8 MIDI interface.

        As far as software editors, we use Emagic's Sound Diver for sys-ex control of
        all MIDI devices. For sample editing we use Pro Tools, Logic Audio, Peak, or
        Spark. For looping samples, the best choice is still Infinity (from Antares).
        Other utilities include the "Translator". This wonderful program is the best
        choice to convert your sample libraries from one format to another. As far as
        plug-in are concerned, we couldn't do without our Waves bundle. L1 is tops.
        We have many others. All MIDI sequencing is done on Logic Audio.

        Other nifty utilities include Sound App, BarbaBatch, Beat Monster, Recycle 2,
        and Wave Convert Pro.

        On the Win/PC side, we use Acid 3 and Gigastudio. Stienberg's Wavelab seems
        to be a favorite sample editor on the PC.

        Samples divide themselves into three categories:
        1. One Shot Samples
        2. Phrase Loops
        3. Multi-sampled Instruments

        So the fist step is to decide where the source of the sample is going come
        from. I can't stress enough that VAST and KDFX is a wonderful source for
        creating new and fresh sounds. Several sounds that appeared in one of my
        recent sound design jobs (Sci - Fi film "Minority Report") were created from
        scratch using nothing but VAST waveforms, VAST synthesis and KDFX. Programs
        on Mac like "Max" or "Kyma" can also generate sounds directly from your
        computer.

        One the initial sample is recorded, you'll truncate any dead space on the
        front and back end of the sample. Then you will loop the sample if looping is
        called for. I calculate (using beat monster) the exact amount of samples
        needed in a tempo based loop. Tighten the attack to the first real transient
        as you truncate on a phrase loop. Zooming in on the sample helps you
        visualize this. On a multi-sampled instrument, typically the loop start point
        will not be the beginning sample, so go ahead and leave the initial samples
        that come before the first repeated pitch cycle. (In other words, the scratch
        of a bow, the breath before pitch or the lip buzz, etc.) Looping a sample of
        an ensemble is typically more difficult than a solo instrument because the
        pitch center is rarely the same. Infinity has 5 looping tools that can loop
        anything from a string section to an oddly tuned clangorous bell, gong or
        cymbal. A multi-sampled instrument does not have to be looped, but it will
        require more memory and will not work for a music cue that has sustain longer
        then the normal playing length. Many Gigasampler sound programs do this
        because of the streaming capability of this software sampler.

        Once your single sample, construction kit of related samples or multi-sampled
        instrument is completed, it's time to dump them into your hardware or
        software sampler. A typical sampler synthesis engine will allow for control
        of pitch, timbre and amplitude on each synthesis layer.
        These control can be automated (such as an LFO vibrato or an envelope that
        controls timbre and amplitude) or they can be assigned to a physical MIDI
        controller of some kind (such as a wheel, Key Velocity, key pressure, a panel
        switch, a slider, a ribbon or a pedal). I use the random control source on
        acoustic multi-sampled instruments to add a small amount of variation in
        pitch, time and amplitude between each note. See my sequences on Kurzweil's
        "Power Tools" CD-ROM for examples of this effect.

        Then layer or split as many layers as needed if your going for an ensemble.
        Then add appropriate ambient effects and your sound should be ready to
        perform.

        Hope this is what you were asking for.

        Larry Hopkins
        synth-tek.com
        Coming from Synth-Tek in two weeks "Digital Home Studio"

        In a message dated 7/31/02 8:00:12 PM, stevenlebeau@... writes:

[...]

      • Tim Fogliani
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 3, 2002
          Larry,
          You make it sound so simple..ha ha. :-)
          Tim

          kurzlist-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
          > It will take from 24 to 48 hours for Yahoo!Groups to cancel you.

        • Brian Cowell
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 5, 2002
            The subject line says it all I guess.....

            http://community.sonikmatter.com/cgi-
            bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=002681#000000

            I hope you enjoy it.

            Cheers
            Brian Cowell

            Brian Cowell
            Sonikmatter Content Manager

            http://sonikmatter.com/

            "Sonikmatter = mind + music + technology"