Re: [KL] Re: Question regarding Yamaha Foot Controllers

  • Vaughn Smith
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2002
      Can someone tell me what value pots the K-2600s prefer in
      the foot controlllers?

      Thanks, Vaughn Smith
    • Geoffrey Mayer
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 1, 2002
        Steve L. Roberts wrote (Wed, 27 Feb 2002):

        > I have a Yamaha Foot Pedal that I would like to use as a controller for my
        > K2500. I seem to remember a problem with using Yamaha controllers...
        > something about linear vs. exponential pots. I also vaguely remember
        > someone having a work around... Was that you, Geoffry?
        >
        > Programming the CPedal is not a problem for me... just need to know about
        > the hardware compatibility.

        Here's the most recent correspondence on this. You should read it all.

        Tim Fogliani wrote (Wed, 19 Dec 2001):

        I have a Kurzweil continuous controller pedal that I am not totally happy
        with. I would like to find a pedal that has a greater volume range and is
        easier to make subtle changes with. I bought a Yamaha FC7 pedal on someones
        recommendation from the list and find it seems to change volume much to
        quickly over a short pedal throw range. Just found one that
        Rolls(RRFX402P ) makes and was wondering if anyone had any experience with
        this pedal.

        Torry Wilson wrote (Wed, 19 Dec 2001):

        You may also want to look into the Roland EV5...

        Kurzweil Support (David Fox) wrote (Thu, 20 Dec 2001):

        First of all, our keyboards require a pedal with a 10k linear potentiometer.
        Most manufacturers EXCEPT Yamaha and Korg make pedals with the same
        specifications and should work. Yamaha and Korg pedals use an exponential
        potentiometer and therefore will not work correctly.

        But as to your statement that "I would like to find a pedal that has a
        greater
        volume range", that really is not a function of the pedal itself, but of the
        Kurzweil. the pedal is simply sending controller values from 0-127. (You can
        check how smoothly the values change with the pedal movement by using the
        MIDIScope function in the Kurzweil).

        The way in which an instrument responds in terms of amplitude changes to
        controller #7 (volume) messages is typically fixed within the instrument's
        software and can't be changed. I find that on most instruments (from all
        manufacturers), you really don't get a full range of 127 values for volume
        change. This is true on the Kurzweil as well. For instance, on my K2500R,
        with
        the volume turned all the way up and listening through a decent pair of
        headphones, I find the volume drops to inaudible with a value of around 10.
        Also, changes from one single number to the next don't always produce an
        audible
        change in volume, so you don't really have 127 different values in which
        there
        is an audible change in volume.

        Of course, with the controller at 127, your max volume is still going to be
        determined by the parameters on the F4 Amp page, as well as the Output page.

        One thing you can do to get more detailed control is to not use the standard
        controller #7, but instead use some other controller number that has no
        predefined function (for example #9) and then assign that controller as the
        Source 1 control on the F4 Amp page. You can then use the Depth parameter to
        control the specific amount of volume change you want over the course of the
        full range of controller values. Of course, you must also obviously assign
        the
        pedal to the controller number you have chosen for this task.

        Geoffrey Mayer wrote (Thu, 20 Dec 2001):

        The Yamaha controller pedal uses an exponential potentiometer, but the
        Kurzweil requires a linear pot. Therefore the Yamaha pedal will not produce
        the right curve unless you do the following: make a converter cable (1/4
        inch TRS male to female) that reverses tip and ring, put it between the
        pedal and the Kurz, and the Yamaha pedal becomes very useable with the Kurz.
        I have done this with my Yamaha FC7 and it works fine.

        Kurzweil Support (David Fox) wrote (Fri, 21 Dec 2001):
        I would not recommend using the trick of swapping the tip and ring wires of
        a log control pedal to make it more linear. This works because at low pedal
        settings (where it is most non-linear), the reference voltage source becomes
        overloaded and decreases.

        In a K2600, the same reference voltage source is applied to both control
        pedals so if one or both of them use this trick, there will be severe
        interaction
        between the two pedals. Some products, such as the Stage Pianos, use the
        reference voltage for other functions, such as the Volume/Data slider and
        the pitch/mod ribbons, so their reading would be affected by the pedal.
        Also
        the high current flow through the wiper of the pedal's potentiometer will
        shorten its life and lead to instability at low settings. Finally, the
        reference
        voltage source itself will be running at an elevated temperature due to the
        overload so its life may be shortened as well.

        So I would strongly recommend using a linear pedal.

        Something someone could try is to replace the exponential pot in a Yamaha
        pedal with a 10k linear pot, connected as follows:
        Connect Tip to wiper
        Connect Ring to top of pot
        Connect sleeve to bottom of pot
        If the right pot were found to fit in an FC7 it would be a great solution
        that would make a nice pedal (with its adjustable spring point) work
        correctly with the K's.

        God bless!

        Geoffrey Mayer
        geoffrey@...