Re: [KL] Swap out floppy with SCSI card reader SCM PCD-50B K2000 keyboard

  • Pearce Cowart
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 26, 2013
      I did this myself on my K2600 about eight years ago, using a real PCD-50B, with no how-to guide. My level of expertise is on par with configuring my own PCs from components.

      Jammie is right: I measured the distance between the Kurz's internal hard drive socket and the floppy bay, bought a 50-pin SCSI ribbon cable that was longer than I needed, then cut it to size. I'd forgotten that I had to replace the Kurz's floppy power connector with a Molex connector common to hard drives of the day (which is what the card reader needs).

      I retired my floppy altogether, and haven't had the need for it since (knock on wood).

      All the reader's slots should be active whether you use them or not, depending on how you configure the jumpers on the card reader. Just step through the SCSI device IDs on the K's Disc menu. The jumper settings determine what the FIRST device ID is for each of the slots (I forget the order they fall in, but it really doesn't matter so long as you stay out of the way of your K's base ID). If I remember correctly, there's a maximum ID that the reader itself can transmit, and if you set the starting ID too high, some of them will "fall off the end" (not be recognized).

      If the sticker explaining the jumper settings is missing or unreadable, there's an image of it currently on Flickr. Just search for SCM PCD-50B.

      Good luck, you're gonna love the result!

      Pearce

      If you have a true 50B
      On Apr 26, 2013, at 8:20 PM, Jason Budris wrote:

      > Thanks for your help! So I do have the pcd-50 do I have to use the PCMCIA with a card adapter as the main drive or can the other slots on the reader be used with more commonly available memory cards instead?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Jason
      >
      > On Apr 26, 2013, at 1:19 PM, "jammie" <jammie.emma@...> wrote:
      >
      > > just buy a male floppy to hd molex cable
      > >
      > > and a normal 50pin idc scsi cable will be fine
      > >
      > > no more pcd-50b
      > >
      > > but the pcd-60b does work and are available buy a single drive they are much cheaper and there are sellers on ebay marking them up by $80-100 as a specific kurzweil drive
      > >
      > > you will need a pcmcia adapter what is good on the pcd-60b is that the pcmcia card does not stick out like on the pcd-50b
      > >
      > > its just like swapping the floppy drive remove the floppy drive install the pcd-60b in the same holes fixings as floppy plu the male floppy to molex cable gender changer and plug this into the pcd-60b
      > >
      > > the power cables are correct as the male floppy plug can only fit one way so the cables are correct
      > >
      > > get a long enough scsi 50 pin idc cable

    • Jason Budris
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 26, 2013
        Sweet thanks for sharing you knowledge and experience. I'll look through my Amiga and old pc lot of parts for this molex adapter. I think I have found a usable scsi cable that is the perfect length it has a red line on one side of it. I really love the kurzweil it sounds so good can't wait to dig deeper with what it can do.

        Thanks,
        Jason

        On Apr 26, 2013, at 9:46 PM, Pearce Cowart <pcowart@...> wrote:

        > I did this myself on my K2600 about eight years ago, using a real PCD-50B, with no how-to guide. My level of expertise is on par with configuring my own PCs from components.
        >
        > Jammie is right: I measured the distance between the Kurz's internal hard drive socket and the floppy bay, bought a 50-pin SCSI ribbon cable that was longer than I needed, then cut it to size. I'd forgotten that I had to replace the Kurz's floppy power connector with a Molex connector common to hard drives of the day (which is what the card reader needs).
        >
        > I retired my floppy altogether, and haven't had the need for it since (knock on wood).
        >
        > All the reader's slots should be active whether you use them or not, depending on how you configure the jumpers on the card reader. Just step through the SCSI device IDs on the K's Disc menu. The jumper settings determine what the FIRST device ID is for each of the slots (I forget the order they fall in, but it really doesn't matter so long as you stay out of the way of your K's base ID). If I remember correctly, there's a maximum ID that the reader itself can transmit, and if you set the starting ID too high, some of them will "fall off the end" (not be recognized).
        >
        > If the sticker explaining the jumper settings is missing or unreadable, there's an image of it currently on Flickr. Just search for SCM PCD-50B.
        >
        > Good luck, you're gonna love the result!
        >
        > Pearce
        >

        > If you have a true 50B
        > On Apr 26, 2013, at 8:20 PM, Jason Budris wrote:
        >
        >> Thanks for your help! So I do have the pcd-50 do I have to use the PCMCIA with a card adapter as the main drive or can the other slots on the reader be used with more commonly available memory cards instead?
        >>
        >> Thanks,
        >> Jason
        >>
        >> On Apr 26, 2013, at 1:19 PM, "jammie" <jammie.emma@...> wrote:
        >>
        >>> just buy a male floppy to hd molex cable
        >>>
        >>> and a normal 50pin idc scsi cable will be fine
        >>>
        >>> no more pcd-50b
        >>>
        >>> but the pcd-60b does work and are available buy a single drive they are much cheaper and there are sellers on ebay marking them up by $80-100 as a specific kurzweil drive
        >>>
        >>> you will need a pcmcia adapter what is good on the pcd-60b is that the pcmcia card does not stick out like on the pcd-50b
        >>>
        >>> its just like swapping the floppy drive remove the floppy drive install the pcd-60b in the same holes fixings as floppy plu the male floppy to molex cable gender changer and plug this into the pcd-60b
        >>>
        >>> the power cables are correct as the male floppy plug can only fit one way so the cables are correct
        >>>
        >>> get a long enough scsi 50 pin idc cable

      • jammie
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 27, 2013
          only the pcvmcia slot works as its a lun drive which is a cd duke box config

          samplers never supported the lun

          so the other slots will not work

> [...]

          >> Thanks,
          >> Jason
          >>
          >> On Apr 26, 2013, at 1:19 PM, "jammie" <jammie.emma@...> wrote:
          >>
          >>> just buy a male floppy to hd molex cable
          >>>
          >>> and a normal 50pin idc scsi cable will be fine
          >>>
          >>> no more pcd-50b
          >>>
          >>> but the pcd-60b does work and are available buy a single drive they are much cheaper and there are sellers on ebay marking them up by $80-100 as a specific kurzweil drive
          >>>
          >>> you will need a pcmcia adapter what is good on the pcd-60b is that the pcmcia card does not stick out like on the pcd-50b
          >>>
          >>> its just like swapping the floppy drive remove the floppy drive install the pcd-60b in the same holes fixings as floppy plu the male floppy to molex cable gender changer and plug this into the pcd-60b
          >>>
          >>> the power cables are correct as the male floppy plug can only fit one way so the cables are correct

        • Pearce Cowart
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 27, 2013
            Is this a K2000-only thing, Jammie? They all definitely work in my K2600.
            PC

          • jammie
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 27, 2013
              dont own a 2600

              did they provide lun support for the later generations

              the pcd-47b is a 3 slot scsi reader and each has its own scsi id

              but because of the lun the pcd-50b/60b only do the pcmcia as a scsi id which
              is what ever you set it to

              the other slots are luns and dont have scsi id

              if the 2600 reads every slot then its the only sampler that does

              when accessing does it say luns and how do you know which lun device is
              being used

              now the pcmcia slot with a adapter card which can take different types of
              memory then it would see different types

              but with lun drives on none lun systems they only see lun o

              can you take some photo of you accessing the different luns on your k2600

              roger might be able to tell use if luns are supported by the k2600
              > Is this a K2000-only thing, Jammie? They all definitely work in my K2600.
              > PC
              >
              > On Apr 27, 2013, at 2:54 AM, jammie wrote:
              >
              >> only the pcvmcia slot works as its a lun drive which is a cd duke box
              >> config
              >>
              >> samplers never supported the lun
              >>
              >> so the other slots will not work

            • Les
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 27, 2013
                I can confirm the removal of floppy and installation of SCSI device.
                I used a zip100. Suits me perfectly, I have about 1000 zip disks that go nicely between pc, mac, K2000,K2500, Akai S5000 and S3200,emu samplers (not EIII for some reason) and no issues.
                The ide version of the internal 100Mb zip has a floppy power connector but not the SCSI version.
                I removed a pcb mount connector from a broken floppy drive and made my own adaptor to a suitable length, rubber sleeving over the +5 and *12 pins, red and yellow that is.

                I can also confirm that the old split floppy programs will load without fuss but need to be on seperate media. For me that's a dedicated set of 4 100Mb zips, labelled KR1, KR2 etc.
              • Pearce Cowart
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 27, 2013
                  I should know better than to reply to a post late at night... Jammie you are completely right, I have a PCD-47B, not a 50/60B. Even says so right there in the display. It's the little things that escape me when I don't look at them every day.

                  Jason, listen to Jammie [turns red]

                  Pearce

                • Jason Budris
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 27, 2013
                    Ok Will do. So I also updated the OS to 3.87 that won't help I assume. So in your all's opinion which is the best choice for cf reader on k2000 keys. I also have a scsi Zip drive external and internal. I'm just trying to figure a good way to connect to my Mac for backups/custom disks and the fact I have a lot of downloaded sounds I would like to use. I don't have a USB Zip drive anymore so that option won't work to well.

                    Thanks,
                    Jason

                  • James L Woodley
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 30, 2013
                      Here is a link to my CF upgrade document. You may want to use new components instead of out of production card readers and PCMCIA adapters.

                      http://home.earthlink.net/~jlwoodley/audio/K2000_CF_install_2012.pdf

                      Wish that uploads were enabled for KurzList, that way I could put this in an easily accessible place.