RE: [KL] Re: why are the 3 AA batteries in my K2500 battery-backed RAM draining rapidly?

  • Dave Halliday
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 1, 2012
      Or maybe the quality of the batteries are dropping.

      I remember when batteries were "leak-proof" and now they are decidedly not.

      An email to the manufacturer might be a place to start.

      Dave

    • Garth Hjelte
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 2, 2012
        I didn't know this was still an issue, but...

        >The K2000 will NOT read ISO9660 CDs with the 3.54 OS. That capability did not arrive until version 3.78.

        Last I heard on this was 2008 where Kurzweil and Sweetwater still distributed 3.78. EEPROM swapping was discouraged.

        Is 3.78 available anywhere? Does anyone know where KCDMaker is anymore?

        Garth Hjelte
        Sampler User
      • voxdestrukt
        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 2, 2012
          This guy on ebay has the setup EPROMS:

          Janis: http://www.ebay.com/itm/KURZWEIL-K2000-K2000R-OS-3-87J-and-Setup-Eproms-Janis-/120699549019?pt=Keyboards_MIDI&hash=item1c1a40f55b

          Calvin: http://www.ebay.com/itm/KURZWEIL-K2000-K2000R-OS-3-87-and-Setup-Eproms-Calvin-/120843221729?pt=Keyboards_MIDI&hash=item1c22d13ae1

          I found on KCDMaker here: http://forum.sonikmatter.com/forums/index.php/files/file/10-kcdmaker/. Looks like you need to be a member.

          -lanrosta

          --- In KurzList@yahoogroups.com, Garth Hjelte <garth@...> wrote:

          > I didn't know this was still an issue, but...
          >
          > >The K2000 will NOT read ISO9660 CDs with the 3.54 OS. That capability did not arrive until version 3.78.
          >
          > Last I heard on this was 2008 where Kurzweil and Sweetwater still distributed 3.78. EEPROM swapping was discouraged.
          >
          > Is 3.78 available anywhere? Does anyone know where KCDMaker is anymore?
          >
          > Garth Hjelte
          > Sampler User

        • Garth Hjelte
          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 7, 2012
            At 07:32 PM 8/2/2012, you wrote:

            >This guy on ebay has the setup EPROMS:

            Well, I can't in good conscience buy from this guy. First, he is charging $65 when the item isn't even his. $65 for a pair of EEPROMS is a lot of profit. He also sells OS disks for Ensoniq's (not his to sell). Look, I understand selling things for convenience, but it shouldn't be for such silly profit. Bottom feeder.

            What really offended me is this listing:

            Ensoniq CD-ROM Drive - ASR-10 TS-10 TS-12 EPS16plus - includes 16 CDs of samples
            http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120962708681

            Most certainly the CD's are pirated, and I bet some of them are my copyrighted property.

            The capper for me, tough, is that if you try to ask a question, it is refused. The eBay page for questions ("Contact Seller") says:

            "We're sorry we couldn't find an answer for you. Unfortunately, this seller is not able to respond to your question. We suggest reviewing the item again to see if your answer is in the seller's listing. "

            I've reported him to eBay, but they usually don't do anything.

            Does anyone know another source for the EEPROM's?

            HOWEVER...

            The ability to read ISO CD's isn't necessary, plus, no one needs KCDMaker. All you have to do to make a CD-ROM that a Kurzweil (3.01 and further though, but that's most everything) will read is this:

            Mac
            ---
            Read and do www.neilturner.me.uk/2007/01/10/creating_fat_disk_images.html
            or download this: www.chickensys.com/bin/kurzbase.zip
            Mount your created image, copy your .krz files to it
            Burn using Toast or similar, use 2048 sector size

            Windows
            -------
            Download this: www.chickensys.com/bin/kurzbase.zip
            Mount with something like Virtual CloneDrive or Daemon Tools
            Copy your .krz files to it
            Burn using your favorite CD-burning software, use 2048 sector size if it asks

            Read here for more info and explanation:

            http://www.chickensys.com/blog/?cat=1

            Garth Hjelte
            Sampler User
          • jammie
            Message 5 of 20 , Aug 7, 2012
              well the proper price is over $100 from kurzweil

              so you either buy them proper or get them from some one who is copying them

              both are making a prophit but one goes to the manufacturer

              but there will be no more updates as there is no physical room left

              for it no room left on chips

              but if you buy them from the bay then they are copied chips

              and you have to bare the brunt if they work or not as there is no support for dodgy copied chips

              i brought mine from kurzeil and i had to send my chips back to them

              once i took out the version 3.54 out

              but i do find it funny that on one hand your moaning about other companies making money from you buy selling your sample cdroms with cdrom drives quoting copywrite

              and yet your asking for copywrite os eeproms from other sellers other than kurzweil

              i find that hipicritical of you

              as your the first to send stop and desist emails when trying to give away your software as you say its none transferable

              so buy the eeproms from kurzweil and be a good copywrite law abiding citizen like your always saying its wrong to others
[...]

            • Ronald C.F. Antony
              Message 6 of 20 , Aug 7, 2012
                On 7 Aug 2012, at 16:30, Garth Hjelte <garth@...> wrote:

                > At 07:32 PM 8/2/2012, you wrote:
                >
                >> This guy on ebay has the setup EPROMS:
                >
                > Well, I can't in good conscience buy from this guy. First, he is charging $65 when the item isn't even his. $65 for a pair of EEPROMS is a lot of profit. He also sells OS disks for Ensoniq's (not his to sell). Look, I understand selling things for convenience, but it shouldn't be for such silly profit. Bottom feeder.

                Not a lot of profit. Anyone who's not a "permanently working for minimum wage loser", i.e. anyone with some education will charge between $20-75/h for semi-skilled work. A true professional will charge a few hundred bucks (doctors, lawyers, etc.).

                My car mechanic charges $85/h. So given the time and materials and equipment required to procure the EEPROMS, program them, test them, package them, mail them, charge for all the time, equipment amortization, dealing with billing, questions, etc. $65 is actually on the low side of things.

                I'm not making any statements as to the legality of doing so, because that's a matter between the vendors and that guy and the respective licenses, etc.

                Similarly reselling Sample CDs is a matter that may or may not be legal, depending on the jurisdiction, interpretation of first sale doctrine, etc. upon which I won't comment either.

                So regardless if that guy is shady or not, $65 for the service of programming the EEPROMs is perfectly adequate. This isn't someone doing a favor to a friend, this is someone who tries to have a life and wants to be compensated for wasting his time on other people's problems.

                It's offensive to me, how people always are willing to pay top dollars for bankers, lawyers, doctors, plumbers (particularly when the toilet is overflowing), car mechanics, retarded athletes, etc. but when a regular person charges what's a reasonable price, then they are being treated as if they were vultures.

                Ronald
              • voxdestrukt
                Message 7 of 20 , Aug 7, 2012
                  I was just providing you the info where to find the stuff. You asked. I am not the supplier of either of those links/products. I just used Google and found the info. I agree, it is lame, but where else can you find them without buying an EPROM burner and obtaining the source firmware first?

                  -lanrosta

                  --- In KurzList@yahoogroups.com, Garth Hjelte <garth@...> wrote:

                  > At 07:32 PM 8/2/2012, you wrote:
                  >
                  > >This guy on ebay has the setup EPROMS:
                  >
                  > Well, I can't in good conscience buy from this guy. First, he is charging $65 when the item isn't even his. $65 for a pair of EEPROMS is a lot of profit. He also sells OS disks for Ensoniq's (not his to sell). Look, I understand selling things for convenience, but it shouldn't be for such silly profit. Bottom feeder.
                  >
                  > What really offended me is this listing:
                  >
                  > Ensoniq CD-ROM Drive - ASR-10 TS-10 TS-12 EPS16plus - includes 16 CDs of samples
                  > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120962708681
                  >
                  > Most certainly the CD's are pirated, and I bet some of them are my copyrighted property.
                  >
                  > The capper for me, tough, is that if you try to ask a question, it is refused. The eBay page for questions ("Contact Seller") says:
                  >
                  > "We're sorry we couldn't find an answer for you. Unfortunately, this seller is not able to respond to your question. We suggest reviewing the item again to see if your answer is in the seller's listing. "
                  >
                  > I've reported him to eBay, but they usually don't do anything.
                  >
                  > Does anyone know another source for the EEPROM's?
                  >
                  > HOWEVER...
                  >
                  > The ability to read ISO CD's isn't necessary, plus, no one needs KCDMaker. All you have to do to make a CD-ROM that a Kurzweil (3.01 and further though, but that's most everything) will read is this:
                  >
                  > Mac
                  > ---
                  > Read and do www.neilturner.me.uk/2007/01/10/creating_fat_disk_images.html
                  > or download this: www.chickensys.com/bin/kurzbase.zip
                  > Mount your created image, copy your .krz files to it
                  > Burn using Toast or similar, use 2048 sector size
                  >
                  > Windows
                  > -------
                  > Download this: www.chickensys.com/bin/kurzbase.zip
                  > Mount with something like Virtual CloneDrive or Daemon Tools
                  > Copy your .krz files to it
                  > Burn using your favorite CD-burning software, use 2048 sector size if it asks
                  >
                  > Read here for more info and explanation:
                  >
                  > http://www.chickensys.com/blog/?cat=1
                  >
                  > Garth Hjelte
                  > Sampler User

                • Roger J
                  Message 8 of 20 , Aug 7, 2012
                    When I was at Kurzweil, we always encourage others that could erase and burn newer versions of our software to just do it with our consent.  Often newer versions improved performance and corrected bugs.  And this helped to reduce problems that could be resolved locally, plus in any service department you are trying to exceed expectations to reduces upsets and increase customer satisfaction.  Yes it is copy righted, but this is for other reasons like the protection of intellectual propriety rights from copy-cat manufacturers.

                    Software always has some bug. Fixing one bug may give you 5 new bugs.  Venders will often supply you a part that may have a slightly different circuit timing and what was a stable version now has a problem.  Bottom line, just burn the V3.87 and enjoy it.  The guys at Kurzweil know you deserve a great O/S and want you to have it.  If they had the staff, they would do it for you, even today with the current silly overlords from Hyundai.

                    This is also true for the other manufactors and as a servicer for them, they too wanted us to update software. Roland use to pay an addition 1/4 hour if we updated the version.  Since their Service Department is no longer managed by a service professionals (sadly managed by a warehouse mgr), but who knows, the guys at Roland would want you to have it too!

                    Doing a volume ebay business is another story.  A one off copy to increase customer satisfaction in my view finder is always okay!

                    >________________________________

                  • voxdestrukt
                    Message 9 of 20 , Aug 7, 2012
                      '>It's offensive to me, how people always are willing to pay top dollars for bankers, lawyers, doctors, plumbers (particularly when the toilet is overflowing), car mechanics, retarded athletes, etc. but when a regular person charges what's a reasonable price, then they are being treated as if they were vultures.'

                      Indeed! Welcome to the NWO!

                      '> Well, I can't in good conscience buy from this guy. First, he is charging $65 when the item isn't even his. $65 for a pair of EEPROMS is a lot of profit. He also sells OS disks for Ensoniq's (not his to sell). Look, I understand selling things for convenience, but it shouldn't be for such silly profit. Bottom feeder.'

                      Well, to be fair to synthplus, the $65 is for both the setup EPROMS and the OS EPROM. Looks like it's $40 for just the OS EPROM...

                      http://www.ebay.com/itm/KURZWEIL-K2000-K2000R-OS-3-87J-Software-Eproms-Janis-/110662934928?pt=Keyboards_MIDI&hash=item19c4066190

                      I don't think this is too unreasonable. I am not sure of the legality, however. I am glad there is at least a way to obtain the updated OS. I do think Kurzweils 'EPROM exchange' policy is a bit expensive and ridiculous. Some people may want the option of going back to the older OS and thus keeping the old EPROMs.

                      I have used Chickensys software (legally) since 1991. I respect that company and am glad you guys offer products for discontinued synths. I know it is a small business and that making a living at it is not easy. I am pretty sure things are not so easy for synthplus either though. He can't be making a decent living with just the items listed on ebay.

                      Either way, I posted to point out that both of the items you were looking for were indeed still around on the net.

                      --- In KurzList@yahoogroups.com, "Ronald C.F. Antony" <rcfa+kurzlist@...> wrote:

                      > On 7 Aug 2012, at 16:30, Garth Hjelte <garth@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > At 07:32 PM 8/2/2012, you wrote:
                      > >
                      > >> This guy on ebay has the setup EPROMS:
                      > >
                      > > Well, I can't in good conscience buy from this guy. First, he is charging $65 when the item isn't even his. $65 for a pair of EEPROMS is a lot of profit. He also sells OS disks for Ensoniq's (not his to sell). Look, I understand selling things for convenience, but it shouldn't be for such silly profit. Bottom feeder.
                      >
                      > Not a lot of profit. Anyone who's not a "permanently working for minimum wage loser", i.e. anyone with some education will charge between $20-75/h for semi-skilled work. A true professional will charge a few hundred bucks (doctors, lawyers, etc.).
                      >
                      > My car mechanic charges $85/h. So given the time and materials and equipment required to procure the EEPROMS, program them, test them, package them, mail them, charge for all the time, equipment amortization, dealing with billing, questions, etc. $65 is actually on the low side of things.
                      >
                      > I'm not making any statements as to the legality of doing so, because that's a matter between the vendors and that guy and the respective licenses, etc.
                      >
                      > Similarly reselling Sample CDs is a matter that may or may not be legal, depending on the jurisdiction, interpretation of first sale doctrine, etc. upon which I won't comment either.
                      >
                      > So regardless if that guy is shady or not, $65 for the service of programming the EEPROMs is perfectly adequate. This isn't someone doing a favor to a friend, this is someone who tries to have a life and wants to be compensated for wasting his time on other people's problems.
                      >
                      > It's offensive to me, how people always are willing to pay top dollars for bankers, lawyers, doctors, plumbers (particularly when the toilet is overflowing), car mechanics, retarded athletes, etc. but when a regular person charges what's a reasonable price, then they are being treated as if they were vultures.
                      >
                      > Ronald

                    • Roger J
                      Message 10 of 20 , Aug 7, 2012
                        John at Cantos Music Foundation for a fee (cost of eprom plus the time) will burn you anything you want.  He has copies of just about every eprom ever used on a musical instrument.
                        Plus most of the GALs and PALs.

                        Email him at  LeimseiderJ@...

                      • Gary Brumm
                        Message 11 of 20 , Aug 7, 2012
                          Hi Roger,

                          Good to hear from you! Kurzweil has always had outstanding support of their legacy products whether it is free Manual downloads
                          or free OS upgrades on-line. I wish all companies would do such a good job with these things.

                          Thanks,

                          Gary