Re: [KL] EL replacement

  • Bachi
    Message 1 of 16 , May 1 1:58 PM
      Thank you, you're right, there's something with the angle of the LCD, I can't read in front of the LCD but it's better if I flip the LCD and change the angle. I try to change the contrast but nothing happen. At -50 or 50 it's still the same.

      Message 2 of 16 , May 1 2:01 PM
        Thank you for your answer,
        You're right, it is a contrats issue, the contrast don't work at all, At -50 or 50 it's still the same. What do you mean by the 5 volts regulator. Is it an adjustement on the motherboard ?
        Bernard

        --- In KurzList@yahoogroups.com, Roger J <winking_n_nodding@...> wrote:

        > www.telesisgear.com
        >
        > He makes backlights and did have complete LCD.
        >
        > Sound like a contrast issue. Set the contrast to the middle setting (MASTER) and
        > then bump the 5 volt regulator up or down to get a good contrast. A very small
        > adjustment will cause noticeable improvement. It is like 1/100 of a volt causes
        > a 2 click change. Later K2000 had a contrast range adjustment. Also make sure
        > your -12 supply is up to snuff, as it is part of the contrast circuit, but not
        > touchy like the 5 volts. This is why some K2000 when they got hot would have
        > contrast changes.
        >

        > ________________________________

      • Roger J
        Message 3 of 16 , May 1 3:52 PM
          1st did the contrast work properly before you changed the displaces back light?

          If yes, then I would be looking for a damaged LCD ribbon cable or damage around the area where you unsoldered the back light.  Pin 4 is the contrast control voltage. It originates on the audio board and is routed to the engine board via the inter-connect plug. There is a test point on the audio board also, TP13.  Changing the contrast setting via the menu master page or holding down the enter button and spinning the alpha wheel should cause the voltage to change.

          If it does, the circuit works and if it goes to the display, it should work; with the exception of one or more of the four voltages used in the circuit being out of calibration. They are +12, -15 bias, 2.5 volt reference & the 5 volt digital.  If the circuit works and all four voltages seem correct, then adjusting the (default) LCD contrast adjustment R240?(hard to read schematic) if you have one, as early models did not have this adjustment, then bumping the 5 volt adjust R180?(again lousy print) slightly will effect the contrast in big ways!  Having a bad or mis-adjusted 5 volt supply will make your contrast bad. Always check this first before any repairs or calibrations to other circuits.  As I recall a 1/100 of a volt of the 5 volt dig supply equals 2 clicks of contrast!  In the early days of the K2000 we would bump this up or down to give the display the perfect contrast default setting, till the adjustment was later added to production.

          There were also versions that had this contrast pot tacked to the board. It should be obvious and would not have any silk screening.

          ________________________________
          You're right, it is a contrats issue, the contrast don't work at all, At -50 or 50 it's still the same. What do you mean by the 5 volts regulator. Is it an adjustement on the motherboard ?
          Bernard

          --- In KurzList@yahoogroups.com, Roger J <winking_n_nodding@...> wrote:

          > www.telesisgear.com
          >
          > He makes backlights and did have complete LCD.
          >
          > Sound like a contrast issue. Set the contrast to the middle setting (MASTER) and
          > then bump the 5 volt regulator up or down to get a good contrast. A very small
          > adjustment will cause noticeable improvement. It is like 1/100 of a volt causes
          > a 2 click change. Later K2000 had a contrast range adjustment. Also make sure
          > your -12 supply is up to snuff, as it is part of the contrast circuit, but not
          > touchy like the 5 volts. This is why some K2000 when they got hot would have
          > contrast changes.
          >

          > ________________________________

        • Roger J
          Message 4 of 16 , May 1 4:00 PM
            Another schematic is slightly clearer and it looks like R246 or 248 for the default contrast.

            ________________________________

          • jammie.emma@blueyonder.co.uk
            Message 5 of 16 , May 1 4:42 PM
              some thing wrong with the contrast then to the lcd module did you dislodge any thing

              the contast changes the voltage to the lcd which changes the angle on most synths its a 10k linear pot with a shunt resister in line to lower the voltage by 0.4 v to vcc

              if vcc is 5v then the angle highest voltage would be 4.6v

              then it goes down from there to 0v depending on what angle you require check for cold spots or a loose connection pin 3 is usually the angle pin get a volt meter and test voltage

              Thank you, you're right, there's something with the angle of the LCD, I can't read in front of the LCD but it's better if I flip the LCD and change the angle. I try to change the contrast but nothing happen. At -50 or 50 it's still the same.

              > change the contrast of the lcd you just got the angle wrong

              • Bachi
                Message 7 of 16 , May 1 6:32 PM
                  Thank you all for the info. Everything is working now. I must confess that my K2000 is all apart, because I do a paint job to the instrument (I'll post some pictures when it'll be done).
                  I tested the LCD without all the components connected to the audio board. So now, I do a new test with everything connected to the audio board (the floppy, the mod whell, and the volume fader) and the LCD works just right with a nice backlight and the contrast works well too. I'm sorry for all the trouble, I'm newbie with electronics.
                  Thanks again

                • Roger J
                  Message 8 of 16 , May 2 5:25 PM
                    Here is the K2000 contrast modification issue by KMS engineering.

                    ________________________________

                    You're right, it is a contrats issue, the contrast don't work at all, At -50 or 50 it's still the same. What do you mean by the 5 volts regulator. Is it an adjustement on the motherboard ?
                    Bernard

                    --- In KurzList@yahoogroups.com, Roger J <winking_n_nodding@...> wrote:

                    > www.telesisgear.com
                    >
                    > He makes backlights and did have complete LCD.
                    >
                    > Sound like a contrast issue. Set the contrast to the middle setting (MASTER) and
                    > then bump the 5 volt regulator up or down to get a good contrast. A very small
                    > adjustment will cause noticeable improvement. It is like 1/100 of a volt causes
                    > a 2 click change. Later K2000 had a contrast range adjustment. Also make sure
                    > your -12 supply is up to snuff, as it is part of the contrast circuit, but not
                    > touchy like the 5 volts. This is why some K2000 when they got hot would have
                    > contrast changes.
                    >

                    > ________________________________

                  • Roger J
                    Message 9 of 16 , May 2 5:50 PM
                      K2000 update attached.

                      ________________________________
                      Another schematic is slightly clearer and it looks like R246 or 248 for the default contrast.

                      ________________________________

                      You're right, it is a contrats issue, the contrast don't work at all, At -50 or 50 it's still the same. What do you mean by the 5 volts regulator. Is it an adjustement on the motherboard ?
                      Bernard

                      --- In KurzList@yahoogroups.com, Roger J <winking_n_nodding@...> wrote:

                      > www.telesisgear.com
                      >
                      > He makes backlights and did have complete LCD.
                      >
                      > Sound like a contrast issue. Set the contrast to the middle setting (MASTER) and
                      > then bump the 5 volt regulator up or down to get a good contrast. A very small
                      > adjustment will cause noticeable improvement. It is like 1/100 of a volt causes
                      > a 2 click change. Later K2000 had a contrast range adjustment. Also make sure
                      > your -12 supply is up to snuff, as it is part of the contrast circuit, but not
                      > touchy like the 5 volts. This is why some K2000 when they got hot would have
                      > contrast changes.

                    • Bachi
                      Message 10 of 16 , May 3 7:34 AM
                        I see no attachement with your post, maybe you have to put it directly in the files section.
                        On my audioboard the constrast setting is R180. It's a Calvin early revision. When I changed the setting of contrats in master, I can't go too far, at -10 and +10 I see nothing, but it's not a big deal for me, 0 is perfect. Also, I suspect that I have problem with the LCD ribbon, I moved the LCD a little bit and lost the display, so I'll check that too.
                        Thank you, your posts are very helpful.