Identifying options internally on a K2500X

  • jquartic
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 1, 2010
      Hi all,

      I recently purchased a physically damaged, partially canabalized K2500X to use for backup parts for my main keyboard, which is a K2500XS.

      I am trying to identify options it has installed so that I can remove them and reinstall into my working K2500XS (which has no options installed other than Sampling).

      It appears to me that it has KDFX, Orchestral and Contemporary ROMS, RAM, and P/RAM installed.

      I have posted a PDF of the interior of the K2500X with the options in question at the following link...

      https://www.wuala.com/jquarticw/K2500X%20Photos?key=FoLCya194XXS

      I think I can safely reverse install everything at this point except for KDFX.

      Any assistance in verifying these options and some advice on uninstalling and reinstalling KDFX would be greatly appreciated.

      Thanks very much.

      John
    • Christopher Arndt
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 2010
        jquartic schrieb:
        > Any assistance in verifying these options and some advice on
        > uninstalling and reinstalling KDFX would be greatly appreciated.

        I can send you the KDFX installation manual as a PDF if you need it.

        Chris
      • kurzweil_freak
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 2, 2010
          Your PDF assessment is correct in all counts. You definitely have KDFX, both of the ROM options, sample RAM, and PRAM installed.

          In migrating parts from one keyboard to another, you'll want to be very careful with the PRAM option. The only thing holding it into the board are the pins and they're very fragile.

          Also, I wouldn't advise trying to migrate the KDFX board unless you have an installation manual for it as it can be very difficult and the installation procedure can vary depending on a number of different variables such as whether or not you have the sampling option installed and even what revision your motherboard is on the migrating to instrument.

          Even if you do manage to migrate the parts, you would still then need to update your instrument's software, including OS and most likely the boot block that loads the OS also. Usually, the boot block software only comes on a floppy disk included with a KDFX installation kit for installation by a trained technician and isn't available for download from Kurzweil. If you do try to migrate your KDFX, you may want to contact Kurzweil to see if they can make this file available to you.

          Good luck with it! :)

          -Brett

          --- In KurzList@yahoogroups.com, "jquartic" <jquartic@...> wrote:

          > Hi all,
          >
          > I recently purchased a physically damaged, partially canabalized K2500X to use for backup parts for my main keyboard, which is a K2500XS.
          >
          > I am trying to identify options it has installed so that I can remove them and reinstall into my working K2500XS (which has no options installed other than Sampling).
          >
          > It appears to me that it has KDFX, Orchestral and Contemporary ROMS, RAM, and P/RAM installed.
          >
          > I have posted a PDF of the interior of the K2500X with the options in question at the following link...
          >
          > https://www.wuala.com/jquarticw/K2500X%20Photos?key=FoLCya194XXS
          >
          > I think I can safely reverse install everything at this point except for KDFX.
          >
          > Any assistance in verifying these options and some advice on uninstalling and reinstalling KDFX would be greatly appreciated.
          >
          > Thanks very much.
          >
          > John

        • jquartic
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 3, 2010
            Chris...

            Thanks for your offer of the KDFX Installation PDF. It is greatly appreciated. I'll contact you offlist.

            Brett...

            Thanks for all of your detailed info. I understand about the P/RAM option. I actually purchased one for my K2500RS which I haven't installed yet, and I see that the pins are very delicate. I'm wondering on my parts keyboard if I should remove the KDFX board before trying to uninstall the P/RAM?

            I knew about the OS upgrade with KDFX, and the different installation 'quirks' with different board revisions. But I didn't know about the boot block upgrade software. I'll try contact Kurzweil and maybe Sweetwater for this. Also, if someone on this list has the floppy for the boot block upgrade and would be willing to create a DiskImage and attach it to an eMail for me, that would be most appreciated.

            There are a lot of synth communities out there, but I always find Kurzlist to be one of the most courteous and most helpful.

            John