Orch ROM BLock and RMB-K - Followup

  • Garth Hjelte
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2009
      Also, how much is the street price of the:

      -RMB-K
      -Orch ROM Block

      If these are not realistic, what Kurzweil format CD would you guys
      recommend that has Orchestral sounds on it?

      Garth Hjelte
      Sampler User
    • mgha1123
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 4, 2009
        --- In KurzList@yahoogroups.com, Garth Hjelte <garth@...> wrote:

        > Also, how much is the street price of the:
        >
        > -RMB-K
        > -Orch ROM Block

        I recently saw an RMB-K on eBay for around $30.

        I thought that installing the Orchestral ROMs consisted of three parts:

        1. the RMB-K daughterboard
        2. the actual sound ROM board
        3. updated setup ROMs for the "computer" side of the K2000 (the 68000 microprocessor).

        In other words, we add the sound ROMs so that the sound engine has more samples in ROM, and we change out the setup ROMs so that the operating system has more objects that it knows about (the samples, keymaps, programs, setups, effects in the 900's bank).

        > If these are not realistic, what Kurzweil format CD would you guys
        > recommend that has Orchestral sounds on it?

        ftp://ftp.kurzweilmusicsystems.com/pub/Kurzweil/Pro_Products/K2000-K2vx-K2500

        Directory: Demos
        Directory: Effects
        Directory: Information
        Directory: Jordans_Stuff
        Directory: K2000-K2vx
        Directory: K2500
        Directory: Programs
        Directory: Samples
        File: _README.TXT

        There's _tons_ of good stuff there. Put it on a hard-disk or CD.

        And use the listings of it, newly hosted on Jon Stubb's site...
        http://www.bubbastubbs.com/kurz/K2xxx_PD_File_Info.zip
        (Thanks, Jon!!!)
      • mgha1123
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 4, 2009
          --- In KurzList@yahoogroups.com, Garth Hjelte <garth@...> wrote:

          > Also, how much is the street price of the:
          >
          > -RMB-K
          > -Orch ROM Block

          I think I saw an RMB-K on eBay for $30... a broken Kurz was split up for parts.

          IIRC, adding an Orchestral ROM to a K2000 required three parts:
          1 - the RMB-K daugherboard that holds the orchestral and contemporary roms
          2 - the orchestral rom board
          3 - setup roms that contain new objects

          So, the sound roms give the sound engine new samples to play,
          the RMB-K give you a place to plug in the sound roms,
          and the setup roms provide the "computer" side of the K2000
          with new objects to play with (sample headers, keymaps, programs, setups, effects).

          > If these are not realistic, what Kurzweil format CD would you guys
          > recommend that has Orchestral sounds on it?

          I'd get the programs and samples from Kurzweil's FTP site:
          ftp://ftp.kurzweilmusicsystems.com/pub/Kurzweil/Pro_Products/
          and slap 'em on a disk or CD.

          And I'd grab the listings from Jon Stubb's site:
          http://www.bubbastubbs.com/kurz/K2xxx_PD_File_Info.zip
          to browse what's there.
        • Fraser Hutchinson
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 4, 2009
            Hi all.

            I have a new unused RM5-26 General MIDI block for the K2600. I bought it
            before I realized I didn't have any free slot for it J

            Asking $150 plus shipping.

            http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RM526

            -Fraser

          • mgha1123
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 4, 2009
              I'm afraid that apologizing for the multiple posts will just generate more junk mail for everyone, but I _am_ sorry for not waiting long enough to see the original posts appear and causing the duplicates.

              OK, I'm going to exile myself now. Sorry.