What would make this happen?

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2009
      Hi group.

      A number of times in the last few weeks, I've turned on my K2000VP
      keyboard, and it's not in tune. It's about a 1/2 step high.
      Sometimes a simple restart brings it back to normal, other times a
      complete shutoff for a few minutes and restart brings it back.

      I've tried complete resets (thinking something must have gotten
      corrupted), but it hasn't always restored the tuning. There are no
      tuning adjustments made from the Master page. It is set for A=440

      It's annoying to have this happen on gigs.
      What do you think is causing this?

      Steve
    • Jon Stubbs
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2009
        When we've heard about this in the past, it is often related to a
        dirty potentiometer on the pitch bend wheel.

        Ways you can test this:

        Do a MIDI Panic when it happens. See if it resets pitch.

        If it doesn't, go the the Master/Utils/MIDI page, work
        the wheel, and look for random pitch bend messages.

        You can look up some instructions for cleaning that pot,
        if that is what it turns out to be.

        Jon
      • Michael Houston
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 2, 2009
          Hi Steve,

          I can think of a couple of things that could cause this, including
          some motherboard badness, but when this happened to me it turned that
          the pitch bend potentiometer needed to be de-gackified. I suspect
          similar goofiness could ensue from the ribbon controller.

          YMMV, of course. Hope that helps!

          Later,
          Michael Houston

          >Posted by: "Steve" <mailto:maestrosteve18@...?Subject=
          >Re%3AWhat%20would%20make%20this%20happen%3F>maestrosteve18@...
          ><http://profiles.yahoo.com/maestro_steve>maestro_steve
          >

          >Sun Feb 1, 2009 12:47 am (PST)
          >

          >Hi group.
          >A number of times in the last few weeks, I've turned on my K2000VP
          >keyboard, and it's not in tune. It's about a 1/2 step high.
          >Sometimes a simple restart brings it back to normal, other times a
          >complete shutoff for a few minutes and restart brings it back.
          >I've tried complete resets (thinking something must have gotten
          >corrupted), but it hasn't always restored the tuning. There are no
          >tuning adjustments made from the Master page. It is set for A=440
          >It's annoying to have this happen on gigs.
          >What do you think is causing this?
          >Steve
        • Steve
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 2, 2009
            Thank You to Jon Stubbs, Jon Kirch and Michael Houston for your help.
            You all had the same suggestion about the pitch wheel.

            I just cleaned the pot for the pitch wheel, and hopefully that will do
            it, but I'll keep aware of midi messages being sent if it should
            happen again.

            Steve