K2600S - flanging a4 - c4 and other issue

  • mcgiffert69
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1, 2008
      Hi KurzList! Hope you can provide direction here:

      My K2600 exhibits intermittant flanging sound on keys A4 through C4,
      regardless of sample. It doesn't seem that a mechanical problem with
      the keys would make an audio problem like this, but I may be wrong.

      Concurrent with this issue, during file saving (naming), using the
      kurz buttons to move the cursor to the next digit, pushing the next
      button jumps the cursor two spaces, not one, so something is messed up
      with the software, possibly the hardware.

      I have tried resets, diagnostics don't show anything wrong, I pulled
      the battery for a day, replaced it with a new button cell, same problem.

      Thanks for any ideas of what may be happening.

      Best,

      Stephen
    • kkissinger@kevinkissinger.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1, 2008
        Are you playing through a DAW (that is, a computer sequencing environment)?

        If you have MIDI channel set to receive BOTH local and remote
        commands, and if your DAW is echoing the command back to the Kurzweil,
        then for each note that you play the Kurz will play the note twice --
        with a few Millisecond difference between the two. This difference
        will cause the "flanging" effect.

        The other effect is that you run out of polyphony twice as fast. :)

        Not sure about the pushbutton issue, though. I suppose it could be
        contact bounce on some of your pushbuttons -- I've never experience
        that problem.

        Good luck!

        -- Kevin

        Quoting mcgiffert69 <mcgiffert@...>:

        > Hi KurzList! Hope you can provide direction here:
        >
        > My K2600 exhibits intermittant flanging sound on keys A4 through C4,
        > regardless of sample. It doesn't seem that a mechanical problem with
        > the keys would make an audio problem like this, but I may be wrong.
        >
        > Concurrent with this issue, during file saving (naming), using the
        > kurz buttons to move the cursor to the next digit, pushing the next
        > button jumps the cursor two spaces, not one, so something is messed up
        > with the software, possibly the hardware.
        >
        > I have tried resets, diagnostics don't show anything wrong, I pulled
        > the battery for a day, replaced it with a new button cell, same problem.
        >
        > Thanks for any ideas of what may be happening.
        >
        > Best,
        >
        > Stephen

      • Jon Stubbs
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 1, 2008
          With this kind of issue, it's good to put the rig into a
          simple mode. Put it in program mode, use the original
          default Control Setup, and unplug all MIDI cables.

          If the flanging is still happening, then put the K2600 into UTILS/
          MIDI mode,
          and watch the display as you try to get the symptom to repeat.
          You might see two notes where you expected one.
          Could that mean you have a dirty contact on those four keys?
          I'm not sure.

          The button press thing sounds like some kind of loop-back issue,
          although I suppose it could be just fussy buttons, you could
          try pressing on one side of the button or the other to see
          if it changes anything.

          Might be time to reinstall the OS & Objects?

          On Aug 1, 2008, at 5:47 AM, mcgiffert69 wrote:

          > Hi KurzList! Hope you can provide direction here:
          >
          > My K2600 exhibits intermittant flanging sound on keys A4 through C4,
          > regardless of sample. It doesn't seem that a mechanical problem with
          > the keys would make an audio problem like this, but I may be wrong.
          >
          > Concurrent with this issue, during file saving (naming), using the
          > kurz buttons to move the cursor to the next digit, pushing the next
          > button jumps the cursor two spaces, not one, so something is messed up
          > with the software, possibly the hardware.
          >
          > I have tried resets, diagnostics don't show anything wrong, I pulled
          > the battery for a day, replaced it with a new button cell, same
          > problem.
          >
          > Thanks for any ideas of what may be happening.
          >
          > Best,
          >
          > Stephen

        • David Smith
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 1, 2008
            I had the 2 button jump problem and someone on here advised me to turn the program change parameter off. It worked.

            Dave

            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 2, 2008
              Brilliant help! Thanks to the group for clearing this up for me.

              It was a MIDI loopback, which explained the flanging and the naming
              problem skip. I should have known to check this... Thanks for the
              group gently pointing me to the obvious.

              My two Kurz units go through a midiman usb box. The USB cord had come
              unplugged at some time (it has been a while since I've edited on my
              DAW). While it was unplugged, I could change MIDI to local and the
              flanging and skipping went away. Keeping the MIDI on BOTH, I plugged
              the midiman's usb back in, and everything was back to normal.

              Cheers!

              Stephen