Still having problems with sound... I light in the end of the way: Problems with Live Mode.

  • Rafael Gallino
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1, 2008
      Hi all! I'm still fighting with my sound problem in my k2500RS, I don't like
      to surrender, but I think that I finally will decide to send it to a tech
      service. By the way, I want to share with you some things I have discovered.

      The sound stops aleatory and suddenly in the unit, and I discovered that
      sometimes a little time before it hangs, I can hear some little cracks and
      pops in the sound. Well, seeking and touching all the options in the unit, I
      discovered that I can reproduce that behavior setting the LiveIn mode in the
      sample page. When I set that mode, the unit starts to crack and pop, until
      all the sound disappears... After that, a simple soft reset, and the unit
      works fine again (only if before the reset I change the mode to other than
      LiveIn, because if I start the unit with that option in LiveIn the unit
      starts to make noise when I turn it on and the sound goes away after a few
      seconds). So I think the problem is in the sampling option. I checked the
      connections, and they appear to be ok. I have searched all the forums in the
      web, seeking for people who has experienced problems with the Live mode, but
      I did not have any luck. So, if somebody experienced the same, please tell
      me. Maybe I can fix it at home before I have to send it to a tech service.
      I'm a little afraid of tech people, because is an old unit, and sometimes
      they do not have a idea of what to do, and they can damage the unit in other
      ways.

      A lot of thanks to all the people here!

    • DavidBrown99
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1, 2008
        The sample option depends on good RAM.
        When you did the Self Diagnositics test and checked the RAM, did it check OK?
        The self test is in the manual.
        David

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 1, 2008
          Hi! Thanks for your reply! The RAM/PRAM diagnostic says PRAM Absent, but the
          final message says Success. I do not have PRAM expansion installed, so I
          think it is ok. The Sound RAM diagnostic takes a time, and finally said
          Success. I have a unit with two banks for 72 pin simms, and it appears to be
          16 mb each one, because in the diagnostics I see:

          Bank 0: 8M Bank 1: 8M
          Bank 2: 8M Bank 3: 8M

          And the test says Success!

          On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 6:37 PM, DavidBrown99 <DavidBrown99@...> wrote:

          > The sample option depends on good RAM.
          > When you did the Self Diagnositics test and checked the RAM, did it check
          > OK?
          > The self test is in the manual.
          > David

          Saludos,
          Rafael Gallino (rafaelgallino@...)

        • Tyrone Lumley
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 1, 2008
            Most of you probably now this by now, but if this helps anyone than I'm happy.

            My K2000 came with an external, SCSI HD. It's a Elktron Overdrive 80, and a whopping 80 Mb !

            Anyway, I don't know how to program (yet), but I have been dealving into editors, patch transfer, storage, back up and the like. One of the big problems is getting patches OUT of the K-2000. I bought a SCSI CD-ROM, and loading is easy enough, but I really, really wanted to back up all the sounds that came with it and didn't really feel like inserting 200 floppies.

            So, I bought a PCI SCSI adapter card for my PC. Should be easy enough, right ?

            Wrong.

            XP immediately recognized the Kurz and asked me for drivers. I googled a bit, and ended up at the Kurz files. They had some workarounds for 98, but not XP. I just couldn't get my PC to see the Kurz, and vice versa. However, they also suggested that directly accessing the Kurz from Windows is fraught with peril. So, I figured I'd just download from the Kurz to the 80 Mb Overdrive, then from the Overdrive to my PC.

            Problem was, XP didn't see the HD. It was listed in device manager, but I couldn't browse to it. So, after a little more googling, I realized that I had to enter computer management and create a new partition.

            BINGO !

            XP saw it, formatted it, and assigned it a drive letter. I'm backing up from the Kurz to the SCSI HD as I type, and will soon go from the SCSI HD to my PCs HD via the SCSI card.

            So, In a nutshell.

            Kurz-->SCSI HD (or other device) ----> PC. Just make sure you use Computer Management in XP, and create a new partition.

            Again, hopefully I'll save someone a couple or three hours.

          • David Smith
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 1, 2008
              You should not enter the Hard Disk Mgmt. screen on the K2000 if you are currently accessing the drive from XP (viewing the contents in Explorer qualifies), since the K2000 will assert as Master on the SCSI bus and that can cause lockup. I just exclusively do my hard disk accessing using the PC and have not run into a problem yet. I did notice once that a directory rename from Explorer was not recognized by the Kurz but have not investigated that problem further.

              Dave

              Tyrone Lumley <tyrone_topheavy@...> wrote: Most of you probably now this by now, but if this helps anyone than I'm happy.