FLOPPY DRIVE----HELP!

  • geetwee23197
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 2, 2008
      ok. I have been a happy user of the k2000 since '96. I never sampled or
      played with the program editing but just flipped out over the sequencer
      Now I own 3 kurzweils all k2000 and # 1 doesn't power up, #2 floppy
      drive won't load or save----and now #3 (which I dearly love cause of
      the orchestra rom and enhanced memory) also will not load or save to
      floppy.

      Meanwhile I have hundreds of floppies with over a thousand sequences
      including several broadway shows (some fully orchestrated) and all the
      high school choir material that I have done with my kids for 11 years!

      It occurs to me that a cd drive might be a good idea now, but I need
      some guidance in getting these floppies on to a computer.
      I have finale, I have cakewalk. And by the way I also have a korg triton
      and have no idea how to use that either but that is another story

      Anybody got any ideas out there?

      Thanks

      Rich
    • DavidBrown99
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 2, 2008
        When I see that sort of thing from those vintages, the first thing I think of is
        the power supplly. I have many of them also, and every time one would go down
        it was always the power supply! The K2000 is not noted for a robust power
        supply. Even when my floppy started messing up it turned out to the be power
        supply. I would turn on the unit and the light to the floppy would just stay
        on.... etc.
        None of those problems can be solved without some knowledge and a meter.
        You don't sound like you have that sort of equipement?
        David

        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 2, 2008
          Some kind of scsi devise would be helpful to back up and
          access your sequences (songs in .krz format)

          Then you can move all of your thousand plus sequences
          from floppies onto another medium. Hopefully the floppies
          are in good shape. Remember that all media have limits
          to their shelf-life. So it's good to look at rebacking
          up every decade.

          Step one is to get access to a floppy drive to get the
          .krz files from the floppies and onto a hard-drive.
          If you can't access a computer with a floppy drive,
          you can purchase a USB floppy drive (make sure it's compatible
          with your platform- mac or pc).

          Copy all the .krz files onto your computers internal drive.

          The next step is to get a way back to your K2000.
          Unfortunately, a CD-ROM drive won't allow you to save
          from your K2000.

          An external scsi drive is fast, and easy, but it requires
          that your computer have a scsi port AND that your computer
          can recognize discs formatted in FAT16 (which the K2000 uses).

          I use a mac. I have a scsi card reader that I got from
          http://www.scsiforsamplers.com

          I can format the cards in my K2500, and mount the cards on my
          computer using USB card readers. And I can easily pass
          my library back & forth between my computer and my K2500.

          This isn't the cheapest alternative, but it is very convenient.

          It might be cheaper to get an external scsi drive, and
          a cheap PCI scsi card.

          JD from scsi for samplers is very helpful with these
          questions.

          Jon

          >ok. I have been a happy user of the k2000 since '96. I never sampled or
          >played with the program editing but just flipped out over the sequencer
          >Now I own 3 kurzweils all k2000 and # 1 doesn't power up, #2 floppy
          >drive won't load or save----and now #3 (which I dearly love cause of
          >the orchestra rom and enhanced memory) also will not load or save to
          >floppy.
          >
          >Meanwhile I have hundreds of floppies with over a thousand sequences
          >including several broadway shows (some fully orchestrated) and all the
          >high school choir material that I have done with my kids for 11 years!
          >
          >It occurs to me that a cd drive might be a good idea now, but I need
          >some guidance in getting these floppies on to a computer.
          >I have finale, I have cakewalk. And by the way I also have a korg triton
          >and have no idea how to use that either but that is another story
          >
          >Anybody got any ideas out there?
          >
          >Thanks
          >
          >Rich

        • Jon Stubbs
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 2, 2008
            I saw my sentence about re-backing up every decade
            and made myself laugh.

            I'm talking out my butt. I have no idea how often
            a person should replace/remake their archives.
          • Stew Pidasso
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 2, 2008
              Step one, copy anything on floppy to your computer hard drive.

              Step two, copy all of that onto CD(s)
              - Make two copies if you really want to be thorough

              Purchase a SCSI PC Card reader (SCSI cable, 2GB compact flash card, and
              PC Card adapter) as mentioned previously in earlier messages. SCSI for
              Samplers has a complete kit listed on eBay for $130

              Does your computer have a compact flash card reader? If not, get one of
              those too.

              After purchasing this new equipment, you can copy your files onto the
              compact flash card, then load them into the K2000's using the SCSI PC
              Card reader. The PC Card reader is silent, has no moving parts, and
              transfers data very quickly.

              Ultimately, you'll probably need a new power supply for your K2000's. I
              would recommend finding a keyboard repair shop in your area for that
              service.

              Good luck!

              Charlie
              (aka Stew Pidasso - say it out loud a few times, you'll get it :-p)
            • Jon Stubbs
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 2, 2008
                Consider also that you might want to load the .krz files
                into your Kurzweil and export them as Standard MIDI Files,
                so that you can open them in some other sequencer when needed.
                It sounds like that could be a pretty tedious task.
                Particularly if you wanted to keep track of what sounds
                were on what tracks.
              • DavidBrown99
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 2, 2008
                  When to backup? Simple: Immediately.

                  When I finish work on a project regardless of type: midi/audio/DAT etc I make
                  at least two copies onto two different types of media before shutting down.
                  This has saved me several time in the last 22 years and allowed me several times
                  to go back and dig something up that was more than 10 years old.

                  Lots of disks to write on and keep track of... but it works.

                  David

                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 2, 2008
                    --- geetwee23197 <GEETWEE231@...> wrote:

                    > ok. I have been a happy user of the k2000 since '96.
                    > I never sampled or
                    > played with the program editing but just flipped out
                    > over the sequencer
                    > Now I own 3 kurzweils all k2000 and # 1 doesn't
                    > power up, #2 floppy
                    > drive won't load or save----and now #3 (which I
                    > dearly love cause of
                    > the orchestra rom and enhanced memory) also will not
                    > load or save to
                    > floppy.
                    >
                    > Meanwhile I have hundreds of floppies with over a
                    > thousand sequences
                    > including several broadway shows (some fully
                    > orchestrated) and all the
                    > high school choir material that I have done with my
                    > kids for 11 years!
                    >
                    > It occurs to me that a cd drive might be a good idea
                    > now, but I need
                    > some guidance in getting these floppies on to a
                    > computer.
                    > I have finale, I have cakewalk. And by the way I
                    > also have a korg triton
                    > and have no idea how to use that either but that is
                    > another story
                    >
                    > Anybody got any ideas out there?
                    >
                    > Thanks
                    >
                    > Rich

                    First: the failed floppy drives: The very most
                    frequent cause of problems would be the drive getting
                    dirty inside. Since floppies are no longer as often
                    used in computers, you may have to order, but obtain a
                    3.5" floppy drive cleaning kit. This will consist of a
                    special floppy that is made of an absorbent material
                    with a place to put liquit, a small bottle of cleaning
                    liquie. Insert floppy into drive, attempt to load it
                    (this will fail, but the drive should run a few
                    seconds in trying). Do this several times, then test
                    with a real Kurz floppy. May clear up your problem.

                    Second: Backups - floppies do die eventually - a
                    couple of the 30 Analog sound ones that came with my
                    K2000VP were unreadable when I got the unit used. If
                    you have a Windows based computer, every single floppy
                    should be backed up on the computer. I set up a
                    specific directory (use only 8 character - dot - 3
                    character file names or just 8 character file or
                    directory names) named KURZ2000 on my computer, then I
                    make sub-directories indicating what sounds (like
                    ANALOG, KEYSOLU, FACTORY, with other directories under
                    them - like Bass, Brass, Keyb, pianos, strings, vocal)
                    Put all of the files in some logical order - it will
                    help a LOT when you are looking for something a few
                    years later.

                    Once you have gotten all the floppies stored somewhere
                    on a computer, use a CD burner to burn CDs of the
                    different sounds (same kind of disk arrangement). The
                    later versions like 3.54 up of the K2000 OS will read
                    CDs that are made with computers. Burn also to CD -
                    the idea is to get enough copies so that you don't
                    lose everything if a drive goes bad.

                    Third: Decide how you want to get the sounds into and
                    out of the Kurzweil. Don't even think about an
                    internal Hard Drive - too much strain on the power
                    supply. Valid modern options are either external HD or
                    some form of card reader. The K2000 can see a single
                    2Ghz partition on a SCSI drive, any size above that
                    will be wasted. If you don't have enough SCSI
                    knowledge on your own, just purchase from someone like
                    www.scsiforsamplers.com - they sell both the card
                    readers and the Hard Drive kits.

                    I have a 4G HD mounted in an external SCSI enclosure
                    for my K2000 (and a 9G for my K2661). You can put an
                    awful lot of sounds in 2 Gigs. If I were to do it
                    over now, I would probably go with the memory card
                    adapters, no moving parts plust the old SCSI drives
                    are getting harder to obtain. My K2661 reads Smart
                    Cards up to 128mb - they are difficult and expensive
                    to obtain, so I use an adapter to read the more
                    available xD cards. I also have an xD card adapter
                    for my computer, so it makes it easy to assemble
                    similar sounds (or all the sounds needed for a
                    particular gig) on one or two memory cards, then
                    transfer them to the Kurzweil. Both HD and cards are a
                    lot faster than the original floppy drive.

                    Jim Cason
                    Promised LAN Computing, Inc.
                    K2000VP, PC2, PC2X, K2661 (PC3X soon)
                  • Stephen 352
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 6, 2008
                      Hey There Rich,

                      Your predicament should be telling you (and others) to move away from floppy
                      disk technology. Floppy disks/drives are a flawed, limited technology left
                      over from the 1980¹s. Over the years, through normal use and the passing of
                      time, a floppy disk will fail. The technology itself is similar to analog
                      tape: an acetate substrate with oxide glued to it, rubbing over a metal
                      head.

                      Do yourself a favor and get a memory card drive, such as the Microtech
                      PCD-47B. You can use 2 GB CompactFlash memory cards. With an inexpensive
                      adapter, you can have 2 cards inserted at once. Newer Kurzweil hardware can
                      work with 8 GB devices, so you can have two 8 GB CompactFlash cards mounted
                      at once ... that¹s 11,700 times the storage of one floppy disk! ... I think
                      we can all agree the floppy drive should be put out to pasture!

                      I installed the Microtech PCD-47Bi internally in my K2600R, replacing the
                      floppy drive. The first time I formatted and listed a 2 GB partition in the
                      DISK screen, without hearing a hard drive spin up, I immediately wondered
                      why Kurzweil has not been shipping the K26 series with these devices as
                      standard equipment.

                      A little planning for the future is always smart ...

                      For now:

                      Get a CompactFlash card reader/writer for your computer. A PC can format and
                      read/write a CompactFlash memory card that the Kurzweil will work with.
                      Then a floppy drive on your PC and the card reader/writer will allow you to
                      move all files to CompactFlash.

                      Next, get in touch with JD Wilson over at www.scsiforsamplers.com. He¹ll
                      fix you up with an external SCSI-based, Microtech Card Drive that will allow
                      up to 2 CompactFlash cards to be mounted at once.

                      In the future:

                      When you upgrade to new Kurzweil equipment, you can get a USB-based card
                      drive (as new Kurzweil hardware seems to be sporting USB, as on the new PC3)
                      and all your files will be accessible with the newer equipment.

                      Regards,

                      Stephen 352

                      Kurzweil K2600R / Kurzweil OS v4.11
                      Contemporary ROM / Orchestral ROM