Upgrade K2000 OS1.00C to OS2.07C and P-RAM

  • Roland Löhlbach
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1, 2007
      Hello!

      Two questions to the peeps in the ML.

      The first one is fairly simple. I'm looking for a cheap "maximum P-RAM"
      upgrade. Either from a Distributor in Germany (it seems like PPE bought
      up another third party provider and stomped all K2000 stuff) or from
      somebody who wants to sell it for dirt cheap.

      The second one is a bit more delicate for sure:
      I'm having a Kurzweil K2000 here, OS is still V1.00 (Calvin). The K2k is
      in good shape, the disc drive was replaced once, I'm using a ZIP drive
      with it (SCSI) where I stored all my patches on it (thank god it's in
      DOS form) and I also put 16MB in 4x4MB SIMM chips into it. No further
      options, everything is the default setup.

      I still have two OS chips lying around however that never really worked
      for me. Those are v2.07C (Engine Chips Lo U3 and Hi U6). I always tried
      to put them into the K2k directly, but all I see after that, are blank
      patches, there is no sound output and I can access jack sh*t to be honest.

      I know however, that if I want to get OS3.87 someday, that I need to do
      some soldering stuff to trick out the system that there is a new OS in
      it. And I slowly have a feeling that this is the case in terms of OS2.xx
      too.

      So my question to the people in this ML - does anybody maybe have a
      detailed manual, how I can upgrade my OS from v1.00 to v2.07 (even
      though it's not helping much other than being able to upgrade to v3.87
      without further soldering) with just the Engine Chips?

      Soldering is definitely no problem (as long as I'm careful working), but
      I finally want to revive my K2000 again as it's a bit too powerful for
      using it as a simple MIDI controller only.

      Thanks for the help and have a nice day

      - Fox
    • Jon Stubbs
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 1, 2007
        >The first one is fairly simple. I'm looking for a cheap "maximum P-RAM"
        >upgrade.

        You might be able to find one used (pulled from a dead K2000).
        Or maybe there are still some folks who have some stock of them.
        This is the option that requires soldering.

        >I also put 16MB in 4x4MB SIMM chips into it.

        If you wanted to, you could upgrade to 64 Meg (4x16MB)
        for fairly cheaply.

        >I still have two OS chips lying around however that never really worked
        >for me. Those are v2.07C (Engine Chips Lo U3 and Hi U6). I always tried
        >to put them into the K2k directly, but all I see after that, are blank
        >patches, there is no sound output and I can access jack sh*t to be honest.

        What you need are the setup chips to get you from OS 1.xx to v2 or v3.

        >I know however, that if I want to get OS3.87 someday, that I need to do
        >some soldering stuff to trick out the system

        You don't need to solder for the OS upgrade, only for the P-RAM.

        Maybe someone on this list knows where you can get P-RAM or
        those setup chips.

        Jon
      • R B Meng
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 1, 2007
          I can offer a little help -- from memory from about 10 years ago. To upgrade from Calvin version 1.0 to 2.0 or higher, you will need the appropriate Calvin OS EPROMS and the corresponding "PSEUDO" and "GODOT" chips as well. One of them re-maps some of the address lines or address mappings which might explain the blank patches. I'm assuming that you have the Setup EPROMS installed. I don't remember any soldering being required for an OS upgrade. That's for power and ground for the PRAM upgrade. There is (was?) a used K2000 PRAM upgrade on eBay the last time I looked. K2000 parts show up there occassionally -- just get a non-DOA guarrantee.

          Also think about buying a working, fully loaded K2000 -- for about the same price as the parts you are looking for. A K2VXS pretty much has it all.

          Regards,

          R B Meng

        • DavidBrown99
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 3, 2007
            Some Version 1's - The program voices may be on the OS chips and you have no
            setup chips.
            While you have it open, look at the area of chips where you have Engine hi,
            Engine lo, and report if you have "setup hi" and "setup low" chips in that same
            area or do you have empty sockets?

            david