Up-dating Kurz PC2X via MIDI

  • profcott
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1, 2005
      In order to up-date my Kurzweil PC2X Operating System, I need to load
      a MIDI file into the PC2X using a MIDI cable and sequencer
      application either via:

      1 A standalone sequencer/MIDI file player that can send Sysex (System
      Exclusive) data, or

      2 A PC with a MIDI interface (nope), CD-ROM drive (yep) and
      sequencing software capable of sending Sysex such as Windows Media
      Player (yep)

      Now - I am not v techie,and you may know the best way of doing this.

      At present my PC is not MIDI-enabled - how do I do that then? Easy?

      I have an Akai MPC 1000...could that do the trick? (Load from PC via
      USB > MPC1k and then MIDI cable send to PC2X?)

      OR

      If I burn the OS onto CD-ROM and put into my Akai DPS 24..is there a
      way that it can do this with a MIDI out from the DPS 24?

      Any help/suggestions/guidance gratefully received!
      _________________
      Rob

      PS Please note - sent to Performance Controllers Group also
    • Allan Evett
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 1, 2005
        Hi Rob...

        I attempted the same thing earlier this year: I was
        updating the OS of my PC2 to 4.00 - so that I could
        load the "Classic Keys" expansion.

        I'm attaching an installation troubleshooting guide
        (in PDF format), which I received from Duane Garvin at
        Kurzweil. It does reference the use of Windows Media
        Player for PC2 software upgrades, and provides
        guidance and tech tips for that method of 'playing'
        the data into the PC2.

        To MIDI enable your PC: the simpler, the better (at
        least for this application). I found that an M-Audio
        Uno (1 to 1, MIDI to USB) worked fine. ( I believe
        it's still the least expensive hardware option
        available...)

        Sometimes this can be a tricky procedure. If you have
        difficulty getting WMP to fly the sysex data in, you
        may need to use sequencing software. Again: the
        simpler the better. There are freeware programs
        available, on-line; also, some of the prominent music
        software companies offer downloadable trial/demo
        versions of their software. Often though, the digital
        audio capabilities of these programs must be disabled
        first, for this application. In my case, the 'load in'
        finally worked - using the sequencing software: Emagic
        Logic 6; but I had to disable the digital audio
        portion of the program (Core Audio) to get the PC2 to
        accept the data without 'hanging up' the procedure.
        Basically, it seems that Kurzweil sysex travels best
        through a simple 'MIDI only' player, and using a basic
        interface...

        Regarding the use of an MPC1000 or DPS24: I've not
        heard of this being done, but it could work. I learned
        that there have been many different ways that users
        have managed to get the necessary data into their
        PC2s; so, if others on this forum have had luck using
        the MPC/DPS as a player, then that's another option...

        Keep me posted on your progress...

        Allan Evett