winXP and disk format conflicts

  • bangzoomalice2themoon
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 31, 2005
      1) Re: "Unknown device problem" by Tony Palermo
      Works GREAT on my 98 & ME machines. But Xp doesn't seem to offer
      "unsupported drivers" in the list!! Any workarounds??
      2)
      --How do I set properties of the Kz Hd to "removable" in Xp?
      I recently added a new xp sp1 P4 3.2Ghz system. "Old" was win98. I am
      connecting
      through SCSI to an Kurzweil Hd formatted to FAT32, or FAT (not sure,
      as it
      is the proprietary format to kurzweil).
      Reguardless, IT WORKS with my win98 and minME machines, seemlessly.
      All I
      have to do on them, is boot up w/ SCSI connection to the
      keyboard/drive, go
      into device manager, and change the properties of it to "removable
      drive",
      and BAM, I'm in buisiness.
      But on XP machine, :boot up, device mngr, and disk mngmnt, ALL
      recognize the
      drive, "online", etc., but it does not show up in "my computer". This
      is the
      point where, on 98 & ME, I can find it in device Mngr, and simply
      right
      click properties of it, and check the box-"removable drive", but no
      such
      option found in XP!!
      ---Ive tried reformatting the drive in every format through windows
      (XP),ie.
      NTFS, FAT32, FAT, AND from its host (Kurzweil seuto dos), but then
      there is
      no cross platform, (either Kurzweil, or XP cant read files written to
      it
      from the other).
      It seems that the difference of it WORKING beautifully (98 & ME) has
      to do
      with my initial question. How do I make XP consider it to be
      a "removable"
      drive, as in 98 or ME??
      PLEASE HELP!!
    • Frank W. Kooistra
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 2, 2005
        Can be
        1/ termination problem : You new scsis card is more critical about termination
        2/ XP sees the kurz as a device which nees a driver
        i saw reports were after 8 tries XP stops
        Use the drive externally : and switch the Kurzweil off is than a solution

        3/ if it is the data format : you must have a backup or connect to a win98 machine and format the drive to Fat format

        Best solution is : switch to linux ... No virus , stable , free and lots of tools