Which Software to Buy

  • Jean-Luc Nest
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2003

      > Hi, I am new to digital music and was wondering if I could get some
      > input on which music software to buy? I have an iMac and a k2500S. I've
      > done some research and have come to the conclusion that either MOTU or
      > Logic Platinum are the best overall software packages for sequencing
      > and other digital music functionality. Does anyone have pros and cons
      > for these packages or recommendations for others?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Chris

      Links to try before buying:

      http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/mac/top20/?nl42
      http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/search/
    • Lee Sebel
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 1, 2003
        "Tim Fogliani" <piano@...> answered:

        >Sonar is my preference..very powerful
        >www.cakewalk.com

        Except it won't run on an iMac. Read the original post.

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 1, 2003
          Me & a few friends all use DP.
          It is very complete software, with lots
          of features, good documentation, a consistent
          user interface, and a pretty easy learning curve.

          On the MIDI side, MOTU has lots of options
          for different quantizing, transposing, drum
          mapping etc. You can do these "destructively"
          (making a permanent change). Or you can use
          "plugins" that you can tweak in real time.
          The arpeggiator is really cool, and there
          is a velocity-compress function that is useful
          for boosting soft-notes without losing all
          their dynamics.

          The graphic editing of midi events is good.
          Although there are some grab handles that
          are small and tedious to click on at higher monitor
          resolutions.

          As for patch lists & pop-up program menus,
          MOTU's FREEMIDI has those functions built
          into it. But I wouldn't be suprised if ALL
          other programs are better at this.

          On the audio side, MOTU is a fully functional
          audio workstation. Good editing & mixing functionality.
          Decent plug-ins. Although if you choose to go with
          the OS X version, you'll have fewer plugins to choose
          from for a time.

          I've heard that Logic has better audio quality.
          That may be so.

          >Hi, I am new to digital music and was wondering if I could get some
          >input on which music software to buy? I have an iMac and a k2500S. I've
          >done some research and have come to the conclusion that either MOTU or
          >Logic Platinum are the best overall software packages for sequencing
          >and other digital music functionality. Does anyone have pros and cons
          >for these packages or recommendations for others?
          >
          >Thanks,
          >Chris
          >

          >To QUIT KurzList, send a *blank* message to
          >kurzlist-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
          >It will take from 24 to 48 hours for Yahoo!Groups to cancel you.

        • Ronald C.F.Antony
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 2, 2003
            On 31 Oct 2003, at 16:47, Christopher Torrice wrote:

            > Hi, I am new to digital music and was wondering if I could get some
            > input on which music software to buy? I have an iMac and a k2500S. I've
            > done some research and have come to the conclusion that either MOTU or
            > Logic Platinum are the best overall software packages for sequencing
            > and other digital music functionality. Does anyone have pros and cons
            > for these packages or recommendations for others?

            Logic is by far the most efficient platform in terms of CPU usage.
            Also, the Logic Environment lets you do all sorts of tricks with MIDI.
            Lastly, Logic works well with SoundDiver, also from Emagic, which is
            one of the few MIDI librarians with decent K2*** support.
            It would be my choice (heck, it *is* my choice), but do yourself a
            favor, get Logic Platinum. The rest of the bunch are more like
            Logic Light and seem to be missing features that people expect, and
            the manuals and third party books are all written with Platinum in
            mind, so it's a frustrating experience trying to figure out why some
            things don't work ;-)

            Ronald
          • jerk
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 2, 2003
              StudioVision Pro is no longer supported (gibson bought opcode, then sued the
              programmers, deleted the source code, refused to update or open source other
              things, etc.) but it is now *freeware* (!) and is widely considered to be the
              deepest midi software ever. it was cutting edge in the audio dept until gibson
              screwed it over in 1999. together with Galaxy pro editors, it was considered
              state of the art until 1999.

              you can get it for free at http://www.davidkanemusic.com/opcode/vision.html, and
              other places.