(Independence Day, media, etc

  • jagna8@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , May 2, 2004
      Dear Group,
      the idea of showering the newspapers with our letters is great!
      I asked an English journalist why Polish letters to the editor were almost never printed, and he said: if there are five letters protesting against the use of the phrase 'Polish concentration camps' and twenty five describing various ways of cooking squirrels (yes, that's England for you), then we will print the squirel ones, simply because they reflect larger readers' interest... I do believe that it is that simple, rather than that there is 'conspiracy', etc which some (either non-writing compatriots, or writing but not published) believe.
      After AFOdyssey was made we had four articles published in the main British newspapers, and several fewer ones, and several items on BBC 4 radio. All were a result of systematic and 'obsessive' letter writing, to specific, carefully chosen journalists: either those with sympathy or interest in Poland, or known to be 'subversive', not agreeing with the establishment line, or those with particular interest in 'truth, principles, correcting historical versions, etc'.
      A tip: you must be prepared to be ignored at first (v.frustrating), and to write several letters before you stir their interest (mine were gradually more passionate -and somehow, some emotion did seem to have done the trick). Good luck,
      Jagna Wright
    • Lech Lesiak
      Message 2 of 6 , May 2, 2004
        --- jagna8@... wrote:
        ---------------------------------
        Dear Group,
        the idea of showering the newspapers with our letters
        is great!
        end quote

        If people want to do this, more power to them.
        Personally I have found on this side of the pond that
        it's an exercise in futility.

        The vast majority of North Americans simply aren't
        interested. I've raised this matter any number of
        times with North Americans, and they find it an
        interesting sidelight to WWII, but not very important
        in comparison to, say, the Japanese-Canadian
        experience of deportation to the interior or the
        extermination of European Jewry.

        And there is no reason why they should be. Most
        people are interested only in those events to which
        they have some connection. How many of us care very
        much about what the Turks did to Armenians in 1915?

        Czesc,
        Leszek
        Edmonton Alberta Kanada

      • Zbigniew Bob Styrna
        Message 3 of 6 , May 2, 2004
          Leszek,

          I found just the opposite. For the last few months I've told many people
          about these issues and all of them have found it interesting to say the
          least. Most of them were/are interested, ask more questions, and are
          horrified at what happened and that they did not know about any of this
          stuff. Nd one I show them picture , movies and facts, they become even more
          interested.

          Maybe they were just being polite.

          Ciekawy Zbyszek

          Message 4 of 6 , May 5, 2004
            Dear Jagna,

            Thank you for your tips.  I agree that people with a strong sense of justice and honor would be more likely to respond positively to all distortions of history: in particular to those consisting of outright lies.  My young neighbor demonstrated this touchingly.  Two months ago I gave her A Question of Honor for her birthday.  She has four children under the age of five.  She read the book in two days!  Her husband said that she didn't sleep and let her kids watch television which she seldom permits!  Her first comment to me was, "They just wouldn't leave you be."  What grabbed her was the sense of outrage she felt at Poland's fate and all the lies told, or permitted to be told, by men who consider themselves honorable.  She has prompted three other people to read the book (her husband, father, and girlfriend).

            The same book makes a very brief reference to the British informing the Polish Government that after the war Britain will bill Poland for the cost of maintaining Polish soldiers.  Unfortunately, I didn't jot down the page but I'll find it as I never give up which is a good quality to have when dealing with the media.

            Cordially,

            Halina Trevelyan
            Los Angeles, USA

            Message 5 of 6 , May 18, 2004
              Dear Jagna and Group,

              Although I have not had any replies from the media re my American Independence Day story line, I'm persevering.

              Just wanted to let you know that my e-mail to the BBC re their On This Day site succeeded.   In a matter of hours, they changed the fourth entry in the Timeline: World War II from "27 Sep 1939  Poland surrenders to Germany" to "27 Sep 1939 Warsaw capitulates to Germany."  I also received a gracious note from them.  As we  know, Poland never surrendered to Germany.

              Cordially,

              Halina
              Los Angeles, USA

              jagna8@... wrote:
              Dear Group,
              the idea of showering the newspapers with our letters is great!
              I asked an English journalist why Polish letters to the editor were almost never printed, and he said: if there are five letters protesting against the use of the phrase 'Polish concentration camps' and twenty five describing various ways of cooking squirrels (yes, that's England for you
            • Wanda Madeyski
              Message 6 of 6 , May 20, 2004
                Dear Halina:

                It could be helpful if you and whoever is writing to the Media, supplied the
                Group with the addressee's address, (e-mail and snail mail) so if they
                wanted to write as well promoting our interests, they could do so. Thank you
                and all the best,

                Wanda