RE: [Kresy-Siberia] escape from USSR

  • Zbigniew Bob Styrna
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 2 7:36 PM
      Mr. Wojciechowski,

      This sounds like a wonderful thing you're doing.
      Out of 5 Kolodziej family members on my mom's side, 3 survived. My aunt
      tried suicide but someone pulled her out of the frozen river, my grandmother
      died in Kudymkar and my grandfather died en route to Iran and was buried in
      Kazakhstan.

      I hear 1.7 million were taken to Siberia according to the Movie "A forgotten
      Odyssey".
      There is about 30,000 people listed that made their way out in 1942 into
      Iran. See web site below:

      http://www.aforgottenodyssey.com/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=PWlist

      I heard that the total number that got our that way was about 120,000. I
      never hear 200,000.

      My uncle Boleslaw Kolodziej that survived got out to join Anders army but he
      is not listed in the above mentioned document.

      My mother Domicela Kolodziej was forced to work on a Kolhoz till 1946 , way
      after the war ended. Her and her sister Wictoria were let go in May 1946 to
      travel to western Poland.

      I'd love to know the answer.

      Regards
      Zbigniew

      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 3 1:12 AM
        In answer to this my own research showed the following...

        .....We do, courtesy of the Teheran based Polish Red Cross, have
        precise figures relating to those who had survived and then escaped
        the Russian nightmare. In 1943 it stated that 115,742 Polish citizens
        had been evacuated from the Soviet Union, of which 21,688 were
        classified as children. At the same time, according to the Polish
        Embassy in Moscow, 265,501 people were listed as remaining on Russian
        soil, of which 76,146 (29%) were children.

        This is taken from my own family story.

        Michael Kulik
        Walsall,
        England.

        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 3 8:44 AM
          I'm very confused,

          According to web site http://www.aforgottenodyssey.com, there were 1.7
          million Poles (of various faiths ) deported to Siberia. SO:

          1,700,000
          - 115,742
          - -265,501
          -----------------------------
          1,318,757
          That leaves over 1.3 Million people unaccounted for. Where did they go? What
          happened to them? Did they all die en route to Siberia in 1940, in Siberia
          and on the way out of Siberia to Iran in 1942?

          Regards
          Zbyszek
          Canada

          In answer to this my own research showed the following...

          .....We do, courtesy of the Teheran based Polish Red Cross, have
          precise figures relating to those who had survived and then escaped
          the Russian nightmare. In 1943 it stated that 115,742 Polish citizens
          had been evacuated from the Soviet Union, of which 21,688 were
          classified as children. At the same time, according to the Polish
          Embassy in Moscow, 265,501 people were listed as remaining on Russian
          soil, of which 76,146 (29%) were children.

          This is taken from my own family story.

          Michael Kulik
          Walsall,
          England.

          --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, "polish" <polish@i...> wrote:
          > We are having a discussion on the subject of "how many poles
          escaped USSR with Gen. Anders following granting of "amnesty". In
          his book the good General says 127.000. Jagna Wright in the film says
          120.000, I have always used a figure of 200.000, but I cant verify
          this source.

          > Thank you in advance.
          >
          > J Roy-Wojciechowski
          > Honorary Consul, Republic of Poland
          > 51 Granger Road, Howick, Auckland. NZ.
          > Tel.649 534 4670. Fax. 649 535 4068
          > email(polish@i...)
          > website www.polishheritage.co.nz

        • polish
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 3 9:44 AM
            Thank you. I will display the plaque to members when I get agreement
            from authorities. It is not easy.

            J Roy-Wojciechowski
            Honorary Consul, Republic of Poland
            51 Granger Road, Howick, Auckland. NZ.
            Tel.649 534 4670. Fax. 649 535 4068
            email(polish@...)
            website www.polishheritage.co.nz
          • Custance.family
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 3 11:48 AM
              Hi Zbyszek,

              The question on the number actually deported comes up from time to time on our site. To the best of my knowledge there is no figure that can be regarded as precisely and undisputably exact! Jagna's figure is 1,700,000, I've heard it said that it was nearer 2 million and others say it was 'only' around 1 million. Some very big differences in opinion.

              In his book "An Army in Exile" General Anders states on page 69,
              quote:

              "... I tried to assess the real figure of Polish citizens deported
              in 1939-1941, but it was extremely difficult to do so... ...Eventually
              I was directed to Fiedotov, an NKVD general... ...He told me
              that the number of Poles deported to Russia amounted to 475,000.
              It turned out however that this did not include all those arrested
              while crossing the frontier or soldiers taken prisoner in 1939.
              All people arrested on account of their political activities, or
              Ukranians, White Russions and Jews, indeed all Polish citizens
              belonging to racial minorites were considered to be Soviet citizens..."

              "...eventually we put the number at 1,500,000 to 1,600,000 people.
              statistics obtained afterwards from Poland confirmed these figures."

              End of quote.

              Jagna's figure is not far off Anders calculations! I believe around half of the deported perished in Siberia and on the awful journeys to freedom.

              I hope this is useful to your research.

              Dianne
              Hitchin
              England

              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 3 1:31 PM
                Yes but how many escaped to Iran?

                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 3 2:16 PM
                  Do you mean how many actually made it out alive to Iran? Or how many
                  received Russian release documents and were allowed to leave Siberia/Russia?
                  Does that include numbers, like my grandfather, that died on the train in
                  Kazakhstan on the way to Iran?

                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 4 12:34 AM
                    Hi

                    You wrote

                    "Yes but how many escaped to Iran?

                    J Roy-Wojciechowski
                    Honorary Consul, Republic of Poland
                    51 Granger Road, Howick, Auckland.  NZ "

                    Have you tried investigating through the following site? http://www.aforgottenodyssey.com/mainref.html#r1
                    I would have thought the Embassy of the Republic of Poland in Teheran, Iran (details on this web page) might have the information you require. Or the Hoover Institution or The Polish Institute and Sikorski Museum - all on this web page!

                    Hope this might help.

                    Dianne
                    Hitchin
                    England

                    .

                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 4 12:42 AM
                      Thanks Di

                    • Eve5J@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 15 , Apr 4 8:13 AM
                        Dear Janek:

                        I think it is very difficult to arrive at a precise number of people who escaped the USSR with the Anders Army, or for that matter, to arrive at a number of people who were actually deported to the USSR.  How many people do not appear on any lists at all, whether it be the Memorial Society, the Evacuation list, the Anders Collection at the Hoover Institution, etc.?  I have said many times that my family had more than three branches that were deported, but I am concerned primarily with three of them--my grandfather's family and those of two of his brothers and their families.  There is no mention anywhere of my Uncle Michal's family which consisted of 7 people with two dying in the Valley of Death.  How many others are there that were not counted?  How many people of these uncounted multitudes died as soon as they stepped on free soil in Persia?  How many of those uncounted and not included, died in the Valley of Death while waiting to leave the USSR?  To this day there are those who were orphaned who do not know their true names, who do not know how many people made up their families, what their names were, or where they were born.

                        Somehow, could the memorial plaque reflect all I have written above?

                        Eve Jesionka Jankowicz
                        USA

[...]

                      • Krystyna
                        Message 11 of 15 , Apr 4 9:54 AM
                          Hello everyone;
                          While using my search engine searchin for "sybiraczki"  found  a web site with available books in references to Rosyjska Zbrodnia na Wschodzie or genocide and extermination of Poles in Kresy-Siberia

                          Also searching for "andersowiec" ( who were my family members) I found a web site describing a soldier who had returned to his home and family in Kresy and was once again deported to Siberia  in 1951... go figure
                          Krystyna S

                          "Custance.family" <Custance.family@...> wrote:
                          Hi

                          You wrote

                          Message 12 of 15 , Apr 4 11:08 AM
                            Thanks Eva, from the info received so far the figure appears to be
                            between 115.000 to 127.000, as recorded by General Anders. I will
                            probably stick with his figure, as this is first hand tangable statistic, but
                            more important the figure will achieve my purpose on informing New
                            Zealanders and others as to why we (733 orphans and 105 caregivers)
                            were brought to NZ and more important why most stayed.

                            Thank you all for your help.

                            http://www.whitcoulls.co.nz/featuredbook1.asp?StoreURL=whit
                            coulls&bookid=014301904XJ Roy-Wojciechowski
                            Message 13 of 15 , Apr 5 12:16 AM

                              I agree. Extremely well put Eve.

                              Polish Love

                              Zbyszek

                              Message 14 of 15 , Apr 5 8:27 AM
                                Hi Zbyszek,
                                1.7 million is the best estimate of deportees and POW's in Russia. Little more than 100,000 were evacuated to Iran. Some returned to Poland after the war, there are many remaining in Russia. Unfortunately, many just perished there and nobody knows how many of those. Sometime ago, I saw on television a program about Poles in Russia in the area of Samara. Most of them did not speak Polish - these are chldren and grandchildren of the deportees. But they have emotional ties to Poland. The program showed production of opera by Stanislaw Moniuszko, "Straszny Dwor" (Hounted Mansion) sang in Russian. Also there was a program about Poles in Ukraine "Polska Wies" (Polish Village). The sang Polish folk songs in Polish costumes.
                                Romuald
                                Virginia USA