"Harcerki" Polish Girl Scouts - Ahwaz, Persia

  • Eve5J@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 18, 2002
      Hello all -

      Attached is one of my Aunt Aniela's photos.  This is of the
      Polish Girl Scouts, "Harcerki," taken in Ahwaz, Iran on
      5 September 1943.  My aunt, Aniela Jesionka, is lying down
      on the left.  She was 12 years old then.  I am hoping that
      since there are so many faces in this picture, maybe a few
      group members will recognize a mother, aunt, sister, friend,
      grandmother, or even themselves?  Happy searching and
      good luck to all.  Please let me know if anyone is recognized.
      Thanks.

      Eve (Jesionka) Jankowicz
    • Paul Havers
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 19, 2002
        Eve

        you've got some excellent photos, ever thought of getting your own web site?

        Paul

        At 20:45 03/18/2002 -0500, you wrote:
        Hello all -

        Attached is one of my Aunt Aniela's photos.  This is of the
        Polish Girl Scouts, "Harcerki," taken in Ahwaz, Iran on
        5 September 1943.  My aunt, Aniela Jesionka, is lying down
        on the left.  She was 12 years old then.  I am hoping that
        since there are so many faces in this picture, maybe a few
        group members will recognize a mother, aunt, sister, friend,
        grandmother, or even themselves?  Happy searching and
        good luck to all.  Please let me know if anyone is recognized.
        Thanks.

        Eve (Jesionka) Jankowicz

        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Home page;   www.paulhavers.co.uk
        Eastern Borderlands of II RP;   www.kresy.co.uk
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      • jazzbaritone
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 1 7:22 PM
          --- In Kresy-Siberia@y..., Eve5J@a... wrote:
          > Hello all -
          >
          > Attached is one of my Aunt Aniela's photos. This is of the
          > Polish Girl Scouts, "Harcerki," taken in Ahwaz, Iran on
          > 5 September 1943. My aunt, Aniela Jesionka, is lying down
          > on the left. She was 12 years old then. I am hoping that
          > since there are so many faces in this picture, maybe a few
          > group members will recognize a mother, aunt, sister, friend,
          > grandmother, or even themselves? Happy searching and
          > good luck to all. Please let me know if anyone is recognized.
          > Thanks.
          >
          > Eve (Jesionka) Jankowicz

          My mother, Halina Polewska (b. 1928 in Hallerowo; deported via Kotlas
          and Archangelsk to Sorokanda), is also in this picture. She's the
          second girl, seated to the left of the teacher in the light-colored
          dress. She's wearing a rectangular-faced watch on her left wrist that
          was lent to her by our Babcia, Janina (Baginska, 1906-1996), for that
          auspicious picture-taking occasion. Unfortunately, later that day,
          Mom had an accident with the watch and broke the crystal. Babcia was
          cool about it though, and didn't blame Mom, much to her relief, even
          though it was one of the few watches owned by anyone in that group.

          As one of the senior guides (aged 15 at the time), Mom had a few of
          the younger girls in her charge. I'm sure that her reports still
          remember the "7 Habits of Highly Effective Girl Guides", as
          instructed by Mom. Apparently, Mom has a copy of this picture as
          well, and will update me as she remembers the names attached to the
          faces, and their stories.

          Andy Bender,
          SF Bay area.
        • Barbara Johnson