Re: [Kresy-Siberia] Population

  • chris bienkowski
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 1, 2004
      I was responding to Jan's question about the population between the two world wars.

      Chris

      Paul Havers <paul.havers@...> wrote:
      That was in 1931, things have changed a bit

      Paul
        Message 2 of 7 , Feb 2, 2004
          --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, "Jan Prygoda" <j.prygoda@c...>
          wrote:
          > Does Lwow have only 35000-40000 inhabitants these days ? Wasn't it
          much bigger from 1918-1939 ?

          > Jan

          Apparently, the main population figures for the city of Lwov
          according to a census held in December 2001 were as follows:

          Total population: 725,000
          Ukrainians 639,000 (88.1%)
          Russians 64,600 ( 8.9%)
          Poles 6,400 ( 0.9%)
          Byelorussians 3,100 ( 0.4%)
          Jews 1,900 ( 0.3%)

          Bert Bakker
          Nelspruit
          South Africa
        • Anne Kaczanowski
          Message 3 of 7 , Feb 2, 2004
            I just spoke with my cousin in Lviv, and he said statistics say that the city has about 800,000 people, but with the students and people coming to Lviv to work from outerlying areas, it's closer to 1,000,000 people. I remember when I was there and they celebrated "dzien miasto', town celebration....he said that the city played host to almost 2,000,000 people who would come from all the outerlying villages.  This is just a comment made by someone who lives there ....