Re: [Kresy-Siberia] Dzieje 2go Korpusu... Inaczej!

  • rlipinsk@gmu.edu
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 27, 2004
      I looked at the site several times and thoroughly enjoyed it. It must be translated to be fully understood by the English - only speaking members of the Group. I think, a commentary should be added explaining what the illustrations mean. Although "one picture is better than 100 words", a lot could be added to explain the sense of the illustrations. For example, for somebody who was not in the Corps, the illustration about River Sangro does not mean a lot. The same about courses after the war. Or battle for Ancona. Not many people know that it was the great strategy of Gen Anders to surround Ancona and the real battle was at Osimo and Castelfidardo. Germans were taken by surprise and supreme victory was achieved with minimal loses. I would volunteer to help to provide translations for the illustrations and explanatory comments. Once again, thanks a lot.
      Romuald
      USA Virginia

      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 27, 2004
        What a great site this is, and I must say, a breath of badly needed fresh air......
        to understand that in the darkest hours, people still can find humour in everyday life.
        Is the book still available to buy? Anyone know?

        rlipinsk@... wrote:
        I looked at the site several times and thoroughly enjoyed it. It must be translated to be fully understood by the English - only speaking members of the Group. I think, a commentary should be added explaining what the illustrations mean. Although "one picture is better than 100 words", a lot could be added to explain the sense of the illustrations.  For example, for somebody who was not in the Corps, the illustration about River Sangro does not mean a lot. The same about courses after the war. Or battle for Ancona. Not many people know that it was the great strategy of Gen Anders to surround Ancona and the real battle was at Osimo and Castelfidardo. Germans were taken by surprise and supreme victory was achieved with minimal loses. I would volunteer to help to provide translations for the illustrations and explanatory comments. Once again, thanks a lot.
        Romuald
        USA Virginia

        > I have recently put up a site: "Dzieje 2go Korpusu...
        > Inaczej!"  the site features contemporary caricature
        > illustrations by Birmingham based veteran of 3DSK
        > Anti-Aircraft Artillery Regiment, Mieczyslaw
        > Kuczynski. They offer an alternative and light-hearted
        > perspective on the adventures of the 2nd Corps.
        > Historically accurate and very well drawn, I'm sure
        > many of you will find these drawings interesting.  The
        > address is:
        >
        > http://dialspace.dial.pipex.com/town/pipexdsl/r/arar48/dzieje/
        >
        > The gallery of illustrations is complete, but some
        > areas of the site are still under construction, indeed
        > if any of you can help with contributions to these
        > areas then that would be great.  At the moment you
        > need to be bi-lingual (English/Polish) to understand
        > the site in its entirety: the first thing I'd like to
        > concentrate on is a translation from the Polish into
        > English, I dare say I could muddle through it myself,
        > but if anyone feels that they can help out then that
        > would be much appreciated.
        >
        > Take care.
        >
        > --
        > Waldemar Werbel.
        > Stratford-upon-Avon. UK.

        > saying who you are and describing your interest in the group to:
        > Kresy-Siberia-owner@yahoogroups.com

        > -~-->
        > Canada.http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
        > http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/bTwplB/TM

        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Waldemar Werbel
        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 27, 2004
          Anne Kaczanowski:
          > Is the book still available to buy? Anyone know?

          i'm not sure. it's been published 3 times so far (twice in 1969 and
          again in 1994 - by Caldra House) with the 60th anniversary of monte
          cassino approaching it may see a fourth edition. i have forwarded
          the relevant contact details to anne and if she has any joy in
          tracking down a copy perhaps she could let us know the best way to go
          about it.

          Romuald:
          >I would volunteer to help to provide translations for the
          illustrations and explanatory comments.

          sounds good to me. i haven't heard back from her as yet, but hela
          danielczuk may be helping me out with the foreword translation and
          possibly some of the text from the illustrations - but your offer of
          a translation and explanatory comments is also very much welcome!
          i'll have to spend some time thinking about how to best fit it in to
          what's up already, but by all means if you've got the time to start
          work on it then that's great. email me directly if you'd like me to
          supply you with a text file of the original polish subtitles.

          regards.

          waldemar werbel.
          stratford upon avon. UK.
        • Waldemar Werbel
          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 27, 2004
            Anne Kaczanowski:
            > Is the book still available to buy? Anyone know?

            i'm not sure. it's been published 3 times so far (twice in 1969 and
            again in 1994 - by Caldra House) with the 60th anniversary of monte
            cassino approaching it may see a fourth edition. i have forwarded
            the relevant contact details to anne and if she has any joy in
            tracking down a copy perhaps she could let us know the best way to go
            about it.

            Romuald:
            >I would volunteer to help to provide translations for the
            illustrations and explanatory comments.

            sounds good to me. i haven't heard back from her as yet, but hela
            danielczuk may be helping me out with the foreword translation and
            possibly some of the text from the illustrations - but your offer of
            a translation and explanatory comments is also very much welcome!
            i'll have to spend some time thinking about how to best fit it in to
            what's up already, but by all means if you've got the time to start
            work on it then that's great. email me directly if you'd like me to
            supply you with a text file of the original polish subtitles.

            regards.

            waldemar werbel.
            stratford upon avon. UK.
          • Amelia Remmert
            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 27, 2004
              I would also love a copy of the book if it becomes available. Please let me
              know.
              Even though I didn't understand the captions, I got the jest of the
              sketches. In fact, they bring back memories of some of the conversations I
              had with my father about the Anders Army.

              Amy Remmert
              Kalamazoo MI
              acremmert@...
            • rlipinsk@gmu.edu
              Message 6 of 20 , Jan 28, 2004
                I am trying to get a hard copy of the book (illustrations). If Hela is going to help you with translation of the foreword and Introduction -that is fine. What I had in mind is commentary that would explain the meaning and "climate" of a particular illustration from the point of view of a soldier. For example, the illustration where soldiers are digging a dich in Guzar might have description of location of Polish troops in south of Russia and a note that there was an epidemic of typhus and dysentery which literally decimated Polish refugees and soldiers. Also, at that time, the army was feeding from their meager rations thousands of civilians that came to military camps as a result of the "amnesty". Similarly, the picture "Od Peskary do Ankony" may have a short note that after collapse of the front line as a consequence of capture of Rome, when we took over the front on the Adriatic, Germans were retreating in a hurry all the way to Macerata, where they gave us a bloody nose at the
                Romuald

                Message 7 of 20 , Jan 28, 2004
                  >---
                  >What I had in mind is commentary that would explain the meaning
                  >and "climate" of a particular illustration from the point of view of
                  >a soldier.
                  >---

                  indeed, this kind of commentary would work very well in terms of
                  strengthening the illustrations contexts and unlocking some of the
                  history that's lost on those of us who weren't there. i touched on
                  this on the home page:

                  "In many cases some cultural and historic knowledge is needed to best
                  convey what is being said..."

                  if you can help me out on this, romuald, then that would be great. i
                  think what i'll do over the next day or two is put together all of
                  the thumbnails in a word document complete with the polish captions
                  and email that to you, then if you could 'fill in the blanks' and
                  send that back to me i'll incorporate your commentary into the site.

                  thanks again.

                  regards.

                  waldemar werbel.
                  stratford upon avon. UK.
                • rlipinsk@gmu.edu
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jan 28, 2004
                    In a day or two I will send you a sample of what I have in mind for your review. If You agree I will start writing my commentaries.
                    Romuald

                    > >What I had in mind is commentary that would explain the meaning
                    > >and "climate" of a particular illustration from the point of view
                    > of
                    > >a soldier.
                    > >---
                    >
                    > indeed, this kind of commentary would work very well in terms of
                    > strengthening the illustrations contexts and unlocking some of the
                    > history that's lost on those of us who weren't there. i touched
                    > on
                    > this on the home page:
                    >
                    > "In many cases some cultural and historic knowledge is needed to
                    > best
                    > convey what is being said..."
                    >
                    > if you can help me out on this, romuald, then that would be great.
                    > think what i'll do over the next day or two is put together all of
                    > the thumbnails in a word document complete with the polish
                    > captions
                    > and email that to you, then if you could 'fill in the blanks' and
                    > send that back to me i'll incorporate your commentary into the site.
                    >
                    > thanks again.
                    >
                    > regards.
                    >
                    > waldemar werbel.
                    > stratford upon avon. UK.

                    > saying who you are and describing your interest in the group to:
                    > Kresy-Siberia-owner@yahoogroups.com

                    > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  • fpleszak
                    Message 9 of 20 , May 28, 2006
                      I came accross this fabulous web site by chance. If you haven't
                      already seen it then its well worth spending some time since it is out
                      of print. I have contacted the web master who knows the author and
                      they don't kno where to get copies from.

                      http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/town/pipexdsl/r/arar48/dzieje/
                    • romlipin@cox.net
                      Message 10 of 20 , May 28, 2006
                        Hi,
                        Is there a copyright on this web site? If not I could add subtitles in English to make them understandable for those members of our group who don't understand Polish. But somebody will have to put it in Gallery because I don't know how to do it.
                        Romuald

                        ---- fpleszak <frank@...> wrote:
                        > I came accross this fabulous web site by chance. If you haven't
                        > already seen it then its well worth spending some time since it is out
                        > of print. I have contacted the web master who knows the author and
                        > they don't kno where to get copies from.
                        >
                        > http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/town/pipexdsl/r/arar48/dzieje/

                      • Valerie
                        Message 11 of 20 , May 29, 2006
                          Hi Romuald,
                          I have sent an email asking for permission to add the cartoons to
                          our site. If we get it I am happy to help. I would love to know
                          what the cartoons are about.
                          Val (Oldham,UK)

                          *******
                          > > KRESY-SIBERIA GROUP = RESEARCH REMEMBRANCE RECOGNITION
                          > > "Dedicated to researching, remembering and recognising the
                          Polish citizens
                          > > deported, enslaved and killed by the Soviet Union during World
                          War Two."

                          http://www.aforgottenodyssey.com/memorial/

                        • romlipin@cox.net
                          Message 12 of 20 , May 29, 2006
                            Valerie.
                            Thanks, I will have that in mind.
                            Romuald
                            ---- Valerie <vcm@...> wrote:
                            > Hi Romuald,
                            > I have sent an email asking for permission to add the cartoons to
                            > our site. If we get it I am happy to help. I would love to know
                            > what the cartoons are about.
                            > Val (Oldham,UK)
                            >

                            > --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, <romlipin@...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Hi,
                            > > Is there a copyright on this web site? If not I could add
                            > subtitles in English to make them understandable for those members
                            > of our group who don't understand Polish. But somebody will have to
                            > put it in Gallery because I don't know how to do it.
                            > > Romuald
                            > >
                            > > ---- fpleszak <frank@...> wrote:
                            > > > I came accross this fabulous web site by chance. If you haven't
                            > > > already seen it then its well worth spending some time since it
                            > is out
                            > > > of print. I have contacted the web master who knows the author
                            > and
                            > > > they don't kno where to get copies from.
                            > > >
                            > > > http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/town/pipexdsl/r/arar48/dzieje/

                            > *******
                            > > > KRESY-SIBERIA GROUP = RESEARCH REMEMBRANCE RECOGNITION
                            > > > "Dedicated to researching, remembering and recognising the
                            > Polish citizens
                            > > > deported, enslaved and killed by the Soviet Union during World
                            > War Two."

                            > > > Virtual Memorial Wall :
                            > http://www.aforgottenodyssey.com/memorial/
                            > > > Gallery (photos, documents) : http://www.kresy-
                            > siberia.org/gallery/
                            > > > Booklist : http://www.aforgottenodyssey.com/books.html
                            > > > Film and info : http://www.AForgottenOdyssey.com

                          • Elizabeth Olsson
                            Message 13 of 20 , May 29, 2006

                              I seem to remember that Romuald has approached the group for help with this before.

                              If I remember correctly Romuald has these cartoons on a CD and has already translated the captions. Right Romuald?

                              It’s really not difficult to upload files to the Gallery – but time-consuming  - with so many (63 cartoon). It’s maybe a 2-4 hr job (depending on the size of the files).

                              The simplest solution is for Romuald to send his translations to the website

                              http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/town/pipexdsl/r/arar48/dzieje/

                              and we add a link to the site on the Gallery.

                              pozdrowienia

                              Elzunia Olsson

                              Sweden

                              Gallery Administrator

                              href="http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/town/pipexdsl/r/arar48/dzieje/">http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/town/pipexdsl/r/arar48/dzieje/

                              lang=EN-GB style='mso-ansi-language:EN-GB'>http://www.aforgottenodyssey.com/memorial/

                              href="http://www.kresy-">http://www.kresy-

                              href="http://www.aforgottenodyssey.com/books.html">http://www.aforgottenodyssey.com/books.html

                              href="http://www.AForgottenOdyssey.com">http://www.AForgottenOdyssey.com

                              href="http://www.aforgottenodyssey.com/memorial/">http://www.aforgottenodyssey.com/memorial/

                              href="http://www.kresy-siberia.org/gallery/">http://www.kresy-siberia.org/gallery/

                              Message 14 of 20 , May 29, 2006
                                Hi Elzunia,
                                I don't see any copyright on this albu, but I would like to be sure about it. As soon as I get some reliable notification to that effect I will start sending you the cartoons with English subtitles. I will have to send them in installments because thy take too much space.
                                Romuald

                              • Amelia Remmert
                                Message 15 of 20 , May 29, 2006
                                  In Regards to the cartoons that are currently under discussion. I have
                                  saved an email from January 2004 because I was also interested in the
                                  cartoons and thought this might be something to refer to later. I am
                                  copying some of the information from that email so that you have a reference
                                  to who was responsible for the website and who originated the cartoons. The
                                  message comes from Waldemar Werbel. Please read further.

                                  I hope this is helpful.

                                  Amy Remmert
                                  Kalamazoo MI USA

                                  From a message on January of 2004

                                • romlipin@cox.net
                                  Message 16 of 20 , May 30, 2006
                                    Hi Amy,
                                    I worked on these cartoons also and being bilingual in Polish and English I have no problem adding subtitles. But to make them COMPLETELY English one has to delete the Polish words that are part of the cartoon and replace them with the English equivalent. That I cannot do. So, I left what is in Polish subtitles (under the cartoons) and added an equivalent in English. If somone knows how to replace Polish words that are part of the cartoons with English version it would make them entirely in English. Tough job!
                                    Romuald