RE: [Kresy-Siberia] Cairo Book, Star Toronto article

  • Julian S. Plowy
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 3, 2004
      Henryk,

      Thank you for this information.
      Julek
      San Bernardino, CA
      USA

      -----Original Message-----
      From: olsz24 [mailto:olsz24@...]
      Sent: Saturday, January 03, 2004 10:08 PM
      To: Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [Kresy-Siberia] Cairo Book, Star Toronto article

      Hi Julek,
      When I am looking on the internet for polish combatants in polish language I
      have just few listings. It seems that all information is provided by people
      who
      live in the western world. The photos in the Cairo book have polish and
      english captions. Such wonderfull story published in The Toronto Star is
      indication that it is very late to identify people who's names are not
      listed or
      mentioned by initials only (I think it was secrecy of war) in Cairo book.
      Some
      official statistic: Poland in 1939 had 36 million people in 1945 had 23
      million.
      Six million were killed, other six million was deported and never return to
      Poland. So Poland lost 12 million people.
      Shift in the borders don't change the statistics as they are the same for
      Lithuania, Bielarus and Ukraine. Out of 23 millions people in Poland
      millions
      were wounded physically and mentally. That's why reconstruction of Poland
      after II WW in tragic political system was great achievement.
      Henryk Dekker
      Sydney
      Australia