photos?

  • dgryszk19
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 2, 2003
      Hi Everyone!
      I was wondering if anyone has photos of Vilna Poland,(now
      Lithuania).My father said he lived at ul.29 Pilsudski,that his
      parents owned a house and butcher shop, something about a hotel also.
      Just to see where my dad grew up, he was born 1918-1920,name
      Mikolaj Gryszkiewicz.Taken by the Russians in 1939,after this all I
      know he was somewhere in Siberia and 1941-42 joined up with General
      Anders.
      After war came to Halifax Canada on the SS Robin(?) with 400
      other poles. Than sent to work on farms in Ontario.
      Would appreciate any photos or information.
      Thank You in advance,
      David
    • Paul Havers
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 2, 2003
        Hi

        Have a look at http://www.kresy.co.uk/wilno.html
        I have some good photos of the city

        Paul

        Sent by webmail@...
        reply to haverp@...
      • b.davoust@free.fr
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 2, 2003
          I posted a few photos of Vilnius (then Wilno) on the Kresy-Siberia site last summer,
          taken in July 2002. There are not many, but your father would perhaps appreciate
          seeing the three crosses on the hill, that were restored in 1989. There is also a photo
          of the cathedral. The Ostra Brama was being renovated and covered in scaffolding,
          so I didn't take any photos of it. I don't believe any of the streets were called
          Pilsudski, but of course, most of them have been renamed in Lithuanian.

          Barbara Davoust
          Toulouse, France

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 3, 2003
            Mikolaj Gryszkiewicz David
            Have you investigated your father's records yet held at the UK Ministry of Defense?
            Stefan Wisniowski