Re: [www.Kresy-Siberia.org] Re:Polish Film "Syberiada Polska"

  • Beata Hanks
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 18, 2013
      Hello Lenarda

      First of all, my sincere apologies for not getting back to you sooner to thank you for this information!  Had to leave the laptop to bake cakes for my daughter who has a small business The Chocolate Bar which sells exclusive chocolates and which incorporates a small coffee bar, for which I bake the cakes!  Downloading "foreign" films with sub titles doesn't always work as more often than not, the sub titles do not download along with the film!  My Polish is relatively good on a day to day basis, however the language spoken by native Poles is so rapidly spoken that I cannot follow it.

      Last month I purchased the film Battle for Warsaw with sub titles, when watching this film my English husband read the sub titles and I attempted to both read and listen - spent a lot of time pausing the film to interpret what was actually said as the sub titles did not make any sense!  The film itself was brilliant, but I think my hubby found my constant exclamations of "my grandpa's fought and survived that war", and " you do realise that this war prevented communism from spreading across Europe, don't you!" very tiresome.  Have to say, seeing this film and realising that our families actually fought for their country's freedom, made my heart swell with love and pride.  You have said it before many times in your posts, that we should be proud and honoured to come from such people and, believe me, I am.

      God bless you sweet Lenarda,

      Beata (Nikiel-Skotna) Hanks
      Melton Mowbray UK

      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 19, 2013

        Beata, I do understand, I am a mother as well. Your Polish sounds like my Polish, which I learned at home from my mamusa but never went to Polish school, taught myself to read and I was the interpreter for my parents, so had good practice.

        Never apologise for being a child of a survivor of the most awful horrors on this earth and having Polish spirit.  Hold your head high and walk tall, we are a unique and resilient people, which two armies could not destroy and we are here to tell the story, this is why Kresy-Siberia exists, so the Kresy people can tell their story, tell the truth to the world and find families, research and write history.  Remembering and honouring those who went before us, so we could have a better life.

        Thank you for the blessing and kind words.  What you give comes back to you manyfold.

        Kind regards,

        Lenarda, Sydney, Australia