Colonia Santa Rosa Personal diary of Henry Stebelski Mexico Journey

  • Julek
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 18, 2013
      This is what I found on the below site. I hope this helps a little

      http://santarosa.com.pl/dziennik-henryka-stebelskiego

      Official Henry Stebelski
      Henry Stebelski (1), diplomat took care of Polish refugees during the journey from India to Mexico. The log is a record of his experiences and impressions during this trip. In 1940, Mr. Stebelski married Elisabeth (beatka) Orlowski. Young married couples were separated by the war.

      A warm thank you to Wojtek Stebelskiemu which provided me the diary of his father.Where possible, I tried to learn something about the people described in it. Short information entered into the notes (I used the footnotes already included in the log).

      May, 1943. Wednesday, 12

      I finish things consulate. You can see that Banasińskiemu (2) it is hard to part with me. So settled with them. But if I go to Mexico?

      In the afternoon Jordanami cinema. Then dinner with them.

      Unless I go, I always happens that when I feel good somewhere, getting used to life - if there is a change. I have to keep, I am excited and even though I'm sleeping on the porch - I can not sleep. So many thoughts, so many impressions, still brings me to the head.

      I really liked you jordan. You can see that she feels my trip.

      May, 1943 Thursday, 13

      At five in the American Liason Officer meet: my master (3), the first officer and the Colonel, commander of the military. I have to be on the ship on Saturday morning. So I go really.

      Today vaccinations. I have to do it all, what else. I change my money to people who are coming from.All Bombay (4) talks about going to Mexico.

      Goodbye to Bombay. I know there have every street, every house almost. A visit to the old Sternbach (5). Very nice for me Bogucki. Probably meet in life are the man.

      In the evening I was at a farewell dinner at your Rudrof (6). Nice was a person, but even though I've seen it often does not feel the sadness of separation - even though I liked her. Strange feeling.

      After returning home, Banasińskim last ciphers.

      May, 1943, Friday the 14th

      Last day in Bombay. - Embaracation Office consulate shopping. I'm everywhere. Breakfast with Mr. Yordanov the two of us in Taju. I'd love to met her once Beatka. We buy books on the road. Farewell to Bombay and Malabar Hill ..

      I'm at Norblinów (7), interview with Mrs. Dynowska (8). Farewell to the Red Cross. Farewell to the consulate with colleagues. My speech. In Welingtonie farewell to Merolinem (9).

      In the Jordan last drink in the pleasant garden in Norblinowie. Drop off their good-bye to my fellow traveler, Mr. Reut (10). I myself am at a dinner with the Archbishop. Great dinner-we are in the two-After a long night I sit with the consul Banasińskim and Bogucki.

      May, 1943, Saturday 15th

      Morning church, confession and Holy Communion. The last break fest with Banasińskim. Goodbye Grandma, Banasiński, service. About nine o'clock I go to the docks Ballard.

      27.VII.42 nailed them my ship, 15.V.43 of them leaving.

      I immediately get a cab - one of the best on the ship. Meet me very cordial officers. In the morning the town of Reserve Bank Foreign Exchange will fix things.

      In the afternoon visit of the Archbishop. Loading bombajskich Poles. In the evening, the ship arrives in Karachi (11). Boat with the Americans going to the ship.

      The first night on the ship.

      May, 1943 Sunday 16th

      From the morning, receiving and loading the ship of our people in Karachi. Hot crazy and I feel tired.My only connection to the people that call the bar at the docks. Last five o'clock to the Jordan. In the afternoon visit Banasiński. Man I'm really dedicated.

      The row with the priest Jagielnickim (12), who does not want to go. Finally, the bar Banasiński, Lisiecki (13) and I convinced him. At six o'clock the bridge raised, from afar I see more Bogucki. The ship slowly moves. Move away from the dock. Sunset on a background of Bombay. For now, that's enough away from the coast we are at anchor.

      May, 1943 on Monday, 17.

      At ten o'clock in the morning we raise anchor. The ship slowly moves. You can see that the port of Bombay mined. We leave the port of a winding road. Bombay time coming, once away.

      We pass a number of large and small islands. Finally, around noon the ship begins to run at full speed.Around four, killed ashore. Goodbye India. Was he ever in my life I will be in India? I spent an interesting 10 months.

      May, 1943 on Tuesday, 18

      Full sea. At nine o'clock mass on board B. The second first attempt to abandon ship, "Abandon ship."This goes even very incoherently. Very hot and stuffy is. In the evening, one can hardly corral people into the ship. They will be the trouble.

      At seven in the dining room the first service in May. An extremely hot. After nine o'clock in the Troop Office my first meeting with the officers of the ship.

      May, 1943 Wednesday 19

      Sea more and more agitated. People are starting to suffer from sea sickness. The ship's captain invited me to the first call to his apartment. Seven children were with him on the ice. Tomorrow invited them thirty.

      The hardest thing to organize work in the kitchen. I do so with the help of cf. Słoniewskiego (14)

      - This will seem to be the most helpful.

      May, 1943, Thursday 20th

      Our "Hermitage (15)" formerly "Conte Briano" seized by the Americans even before their accession to the war in the Panama Canal is one of the fastest ships of U.S. 19 wents to 24,000 tons. The mood quite different from the English "Troopship". More discipline, more democracy. Life begins at seven in the morning and ends at seven in the evening. The light goes out in the cabin even with the exception of mine, who is an officer's cabin. Partly cloudy, stuffy, and sometimes rain. We are near the equator. Hermitage our lonely rips the waves of the Indian Ocean.

      May, 1943, Friday 21

      Today in the evening we pass the equator - I was told by the captain of the ship.

      Slowly, life begins to fall into place. People are accustomed to a new life. They just lived six weeks, at least.

      We're going to Australia. St. Francisco will be our American port. In Australia we Meulborne.

      Companions travel first class, American missionaries, some women and children, dozens of officers.The soldier class except my 706 Poles, Australian and New Zealand troops. After the African campaign back home. A lot of patients and a few wounded.

      May, 1943 Saturday 22

      The increasing order. People get used to the new conditions. Although sea sickness. At the hospital, 140. Mainly malaria.

      At eleven o'clock check-offs. They have excellent food.

      The biggest problem I have with men who do not want to work. But how can we force them. Sea calmer, but cloudy and rain.

      May, 1943 Sunday 23

      Finally a cool day. At ten, two worship. In the officers' mess Protestant service on board our B mass.Joined the communion of many New Zealanders. After three years of war come home.

      At noon, outfitted in his cab Sunday bridża: Father, Mr. Kola (16) and Mr. Poznanski (17).

      So like an hour late afternoon on the top deck ... This vast blue sea. We are at the height of Sumatra.We head to the southeast.

      May, 1943 Monday 24th

      Nice sunny day, like autumn. A clear sky and a blue sea. The peaceful nature. First day of school for children who were divided into groups according to class and age. Teach Mr. Kowalikowa (18), Orłowska (19), a priest and seven Americans who have undertaken to teach children English.

      Extremely tired of me this routine. From the deck you have to go down at six in the afternoon as the sun sets early here. What is further south?

      May, 1943 Tuesday 25th

      Again cooler. Check-group and podgrupowych. Lessons children have already regularly.

      In the evening sea and burzliwsze. Buja ship tremendously.

      Arranged for feeding mothers who have children.

      We're now clearly to the southeast. You can see it is somewhere near an island, because you can see the seagulls. In my cabin wind whistles like somewhere around Europe. Everyone arrange the already warm clothes. Distribute blankets. The captain told me today that it will be even cooler.

      May, 1943 Wednesday, 26

      Very nice conversation today with the Executive Officer.

      Americans are afraid of infectious diseases in children - here today, Medical examinations of all children.

      Normal practice "abandon ship (20)" at noon.

      Sea apparently still quiet, but still rocks the boat seriously. Cool more and more. Beautiful sunset.Today in the evening I saw two whales, and two submarines, flowed in the opposite way to our ship.

      We are at 15 ° latitude south. Distant about 600 miles west of the shore of Australia.

      May, 1943 Thursday 27th

      This morning surprise. At about ten-thirty, from Australia came to our meeting destroyer (21) Australian. We now have a companion. Somehow one feels briskly than the multitudes of the southern hemisphere waters. You can see the variety still shake light signals.

      Cold so that the board can only hold in the sun.

      In the evening, during the bridge, which played with the New Zealand officer, Mr. Reiti and some of Czunkingu American ship we began flowing much faster than normal. What was that nobody knows.

      News from the world of good. Again the Germans bombed terribly.

      May, 1943 Friday the 28th

      Today variety. Accompanying us is an Australian destroyer exercises. He shoots from his department to the clouds. This raises concern among some of the passengers.

      Around noon, a new sensation. Flew from Australia two planes. And they ensure the safety of our "Hermitage" aka "Conte Bianco".

      Today I visited the hospital on the ship. Great organized. The operating room, individual offices, a pharmacy. There's even a place for furiatów. (...)

      In the evening bridge.

      Saturday 29th May 1943

      Today, nasty business. Despite constant reminders men smoke cigarettes in places where not allowed. Several times I announced that I would be punished. Yesterday evening the gendarmes seized Motylickiego (24). In my presence, the court held captain, solemnly in gala uniforms. They locked him into custody for three days. Bread and water. It was very official, I could not protest.

      Move constantly watches. The difference of Bombay is three and a half hours.

      Cool more and more. Children can not have lessons on board.

      May, 1943 Sunday 30th

      Morning service on dozens of the other side of the deck, because of this which is usually too cold. We are already very close to the mainland and head east. Today it was over the Indian ocean, sail the Southern Ocean. Ocean harsh, cold and full mane-waves-and-white. We are close to the mainland, probably near Fremantle (25), because a lot of birds flying behind the ship, not just albatross. Our Australian torpedo-companion shifted his position, fluid on the left side of our Hermitage, between us and the shore.

      Tonight, after the prayer of the May had a chat to the people of Australia. They listened very carefully.

      What a coincidence. Within two years, will meet twice in Perth: one in Scotland and one in Australia.

      May, 1943 Monday 31

      We are in the Southern Ocean. We will sail along the southern coast of Australia. Very cold. The board even go hard. Sea Steel, restless. Clouds in the sky. You can see here and rains pass.

      Tomorrow at noon we are to be in Melbourne. Today the ship's captain sent a message to me (26) to Pears (27) in Sydney. I think Wednesday will be on the ship.

      Last service in May.

      I still have complaints and problems with the Mucem (28), a representative of the PSL. What people powybierał wearing the Cat (29).

      June, 1943 Tuesday 1

      Never before so do not cast as tonight. Cases were flying around the cabin. At eight in the morning, a hairdresser, Mr. Vogel (30) told me that you can see the land.

      At eleven o'clock we go into the bay. At one o'clock we are at anchor. They come pilots, two tugs. I get permission drop-off to the land.

      About the other disembarking passengers to Australia. At four to go out on the Australian mainland wind, rain and cold. Turn in seven minutes I'm in town-City. Straight streets, tall buildings kilkunastopiętrowe. I think Melbourne to New York in miniature. Full shops, beautiful show. You do not see poor people. Here seems that women (because women do everything here) that sweep the streets have a manicure.

      When you go to the theater darkens. Life creator Mitchel Spitfire. Then dinner at the Australian Hotel. City of rich people and a template - this is the first impression of Melbourne. Back at ten in the evening at our Hermitage to my pleasant cabin.

      I never thought that I would be living in Melbourne.

      June, 1943 Wednesday 2

      Melbourne. Today, winter, beautiful sunny day. I go out quite late from the ship to the payer of the ship. We go to the American consulate. A visit to the Consul General mr. Erle R.Dickover and consul Fud W. Jandrey. I change money mr. Gribble-Commonwelth Bank. I'm going back to the ship. In the afternoon visit to the Honorary Consul Mr. Burke-Flinker (31).

      I get a command to the Australian Red Cross. I am in the Museum. I visit the Australian industry and the flora and fauna. Well-organized museum. Already Block-cars. I'm going to the cinema "Firt of the Few" life Mitchel aktuality Spitfire inventor. Dinner at Mensis Hotel. An interesting conversation with a random Australian.

      The impression of an incredibly high standard of living of the country. Very clean. Country of worship work. Life mechanized. Great movement, animation. Artificial war prosperity.

      June, 1943 Thursday 3rd

      Again, beautiful weather, I'm in a red cross. Meeting with Dr manager. Richinson. I'm going to ship with a nice driverką (32), the beautiful district of Melbourne. Visit my people. Scouts adopted. the captain. I'm going back to the city with Mr. Tobolowskim. Breakfast Jews emigrate representatives: Mr. Tobolowski, Mr. Waks (33) - Bund, Mr. Solomon - Sjonista, Mr. Zalcman. We're going to the children after the goodies. Once again, the Red Cross, Mr. Mivisa - vice president knows Poklewskiego. Mr. Zalcman dropping me off on the ship. We receive donations from the Red Cross, which is really excellent. Back to the city from here. Chemical Plant Mr. Zalcman. Last visit to Mr. Burke-seven children and twenty-three grandchildren - a nice old man. Dinner with Mr. Zalcman at St Kidla Rd and dropping me off on the ship - Princes Pier (34).

      Tomorrow I think we're leaving.

      June, 1943 Friday 4th

      Melbourne. From the morning, you can see that today off. In the dock where we stand, Princes Pier life already sank. About ten o'clock raise the bridge. We move, driven by the tugs. Slowly decrease the docks and houses, port Melbourne, which we are saying goodbye to the sun. How much longer can see the American flag on the building of the American SOS and a tall skyscraper in the city. We're going back bay Melbourne, away you can see the edges. Beautiful forests. About two bay narrows, past Cape Port Philip and enter the open sea. The restless sea. He throws tremendously, especially in the evening. Cloudy, cold. Southern Ocean.

      Ship captain tells me that the precautions we celebrate the south of Tasmania, and New Zealand.You'll go to Wellington on the east side.

      June, 1943 Saturday 5th

      Southern Ocean.

      Again, everything is back to normal routine. But of course you do not care so smoothly. Again, for smoking cigarettes and disobeying one of my countrymen go to five days in jail.

      Travelers have changed. Australians got. We have the U.S. Marines. Heroes of the annual battle with the Japanese already on the northern islands of Australia - Guadalcanal and the Solomon Islands.They seemed Foreign Legion soldiers. They are sick and wounded who return to the United States.They tell of harsh battles with the Japanese, not really love Mc Arthur.

      It is also 600 young airmen Australian school Kadecka Street. Jada for further training and the equipment to Canada. Again, a new mood on the ship. Very stormy sea.

      June, 1943 Sunday 6th

      Tasman Sea.

      Today a quiet Sunday. Sea smooth. Very few nods ship. Cold aboard cloudy. It is light until eight thirty in the morning, sunset at five. The sky covered with clouds. Far south some flares, like the morning dawn. We are at 46 ° latitude south. We head to the southeast, around New Zealand. At 10 am Mass. In the evening, I had a talk about the Polish contribution in the war.

      I have just returned from com. Wikynst (35). He spoke of Polynesia, of Samoa, with beautiful people who live there, their beauty and swimming abilities. A small boat can pass hundreds of miles from one island to another. He knows the American islands of Polynesia, Samoa, and finally the island wheels of the Panama Canal.

      June, 1943 Monday 7th

      Influence of the Pacific Ocean.

      We are now in the most southern point of our trip, 48 ° latitude south of the island near Stewart, which flows from the south. Morning weather, sun, very cold winter day. In the afternoon, cloudy again. The sea still calm.

      Today sunset at four in the afternoon. Morning briefing group, then read one of the Canadian missionaries of China.

      I never thought of the fate disappointed me so far, somewhere in the South Sea, south of Australia and New Zealand. Beata, is the way to you.

      On Wednesday morning we have to be in Wellington. From that moment to be warmer. Even 22 to 24 days of travel. As a long time to ...

      Today we influence the world's largest ocean - PACIFIC.

      June, 1943 Tuesday 8th

      Today, we are definitely in the Pacific. Circle around New Zealand. In the morning you could see the contours of Stewart Island, the Gulf sailed Feraux. During the day the contours of the Southern Alps of the South Island of New Zealand. In particular, stood out sharply against the mountains beautiful sunset. The sun is now on the left side of the ship opposite of every day - proof that we go north. Sea completely calm, which apparently in this website is at this time of year, a rare unheard of.

      From the south, a variety of the ship. A third of our children Zelandczyków nice farewell. Colonel Zealand and I had a speech. At seven my reading of New Zealand. At nine soldiers from New Zealand gave a concert in harmony. They were together with our troops at Gazala.

      Tomorrow morning we have to be in Wellington.

      This afternoon we had a visitor. Hudson flew. They say that from the nearby airport.

      June, 1943 Wednesday 9th

      Wellington.

      Morning visible contours of the mountains of the south island of New Zealand. Beautiful snow-covered slopes of the volcano. Around ten again, a little more anxious - enter the Cook Strait. At our meeting planes flying out. It is already visible and the northern island. Cool, but also the sun. Now we enter a narrow passage Nicolson port in the Gulf of Wellington. Impression-Lake Lucerne. We pass each bay. Finally, we turn to the left. Beautifully situated on the top of the amphitheater Wellington.It's very colorful. At twelve o'clock we Kong's Nurf.

      At four o'clock I was at the Consulate. Professor. Wodzicki (36) and Mrs. Wodzicka (37) took care of immediately memi business. I'm in the U.S. consulate. Beata! In five minutes I get a visa to the U.S..Visit Wodzicki on the ship. 15 boxes of gifts.

      Dinner in the State Wodzicki.

      June, 1943 Thursday 10th

      Morning Consulate, paperwork and errands. At eleven thirty visit Wodzicki the master of the ship.Then Wodzicki and I have visitation scouts and children. Father and I are at a dinner at your Wodzicki. Father of Wodzicki are the Bishop of Wellington. I am with you Wodzicka we handle errands in the city. City - a small settlement Swiss. Small wooden houses due to frequent earthquakes.

      In the afternoon, visit the Wodzickimi: Sir Henry Batterbee-British High Commissioner, Mr. AD McIntosh - foreign affairs, Mr. Foss Slanahan-security issues. Hon Walter Nash Minister of Finance and Member of the Washington-glory of the empire. Sanitation Finance New Zealand.

      Concert at the University. Dinner in the State Wodzicki.

      A country with a great future. It can even accommodate many people. A well-governed. Democratic relations. Impact of the UK bigger than I thought.

      June, 1943 Friday 11

      Pacific

      I was hoping that we would have one day in New Zealand. Meanwhile, I wake up with the feeling that we go. Mr. Vogel tells me that we're going. I will instead Wodziccy empty space on the Hermitage in King's Nurf. When I go out on the deck, I do not see the beautiful Wellington. We are going back in the mountains. The tenth of all spending from the deck of artillery exercises, machine gun ship.

      New passengers. This time, the same mixed nationalities, Americans prevail. 3000 new prison wives.I hand the huge amount of gifts that they have given to our people good New Zealanders.

      Beautiful weather. Pacific ocean. Sometime it differs from that previously seen the sea. More blue.Slowly dying for us coast of New Zealand. We head to the northeast. Accompany us two airplanes, a lot of dolphins and albatrosses ... great ..

      (Note card) 180 ° longitude, 39 ° latitude south

      Today again Friday, June 11, 1943 again the year. Funny to live. So moving clocks skracaliśmy so on, that we have reached the day.

      Cloudy day today. Morning rain fell. Meeting at noon on the performance of our children goodbye in St. Francisco.

      Because I know that it will be St. Francisco and it's for two weeks. We go because without stopping.Neither Samoa or Hawaii. On one hand, I regret, but maybe it's better, safer, and most of all quickly see Beatka.

      And so this year will survive 365 days instead of 366.

      So really the Pacific. South West part of it. It feels different than before rolling, the long waves, slow, indeed the Pacific Ocean. Like majestic in its vastness.

      Such are the thoughts on the second Friday, June 11, 1943

      June, 1943. Saturday 12th

      Pacific - our wedding anniversary. Beatka is my three years ...

      Our ship is moving towards the south east. We are approaching the tropics. I feel it in the air. From morning if continuous breezes of spring. And the sky looks like from us in March. Passing clouds, and in some places clear streaks of rain. You can see that island somewhere far away, because besides albatross flies near a ship full of various birds.

      And the ship spring mood. People willing to come on board, even Mr. Vogel keeps countrymen.

      Beata - the third anniversary of our wedding. Morning Mass heard. The whole day preparing a lecture on the Polynesian and I thought about you, about us, about our impending future life. Beata, our happiness probably getting close.

      The English took yesterday Pantellarię (38).

      June, 1943. Sunday 13th

      Pacific.

      Pentecost. Recent also spent at sea. Then it was the Atlantic. What will be next year?

      Mass at ten. He also participated American chaplain. He added the seriousness of our young priest.Very windy. Wind South so still pretty cool.

      This evening I had a talk about the Pacific and Polynesia. This war of the Pacific is a separate issue, very long. In the evening you Prysweranz (39) talked about his ordeal in Soviet prisons. This is a special world.

      Today we know that the British occupied the island of Lampedusa.

      June, 1943. Monday 14th

      Pacific.

      Even warmer. All passengers took to the deck, basking in the warm noon sun. In the evening clouds can become subtropical shapes and colors. You can see passing showers.

      I met today and met with Mrs. Tyszkiewiczów, Mr. Mrs. Batterbee, daughter-British High Commissioner of New Zealand. Her husband is in the Marine Corps British in Egypt. She had not seen him three years and married for five months before the war. Beata, something like us.

      In the evening, bridge and majong (40). He taught me Mr. Tien, Chinese travel companion.

      I think we're close to the Tropic of Capricorn. I did not see the birds. You can see we are far away from the islands.

      June, 1943. Tuesday 15th

      Pacific.

      The heat at all, and even at times hot. All officers and soldiers again powdziewali summer clothes.

      My whole bunch of Polish busy preparing the show to be a farewell to the master, officers and crew.

      In the evening the bridge. I met an Australian Air Marshal.

      For ten days we have to be in America. Sure Los Angeles will be our port.

      Despite the comfort that I have on the ship and the reason I'm tired of traveling. But you have to stick with it.

      June, 1943. Wednesday 16th

      Pacific 5 ° south latitude.

      This morning we sailed between two small islands. One of them was more close to us, as I have seen these famous lagoon reef overgrown with coconut trees. We are close to the equator. Today, hot and stuffy properly. Sea smooth as a table. Dark clouds around. Atmosphere equator. This shortness of breath reminds me of the monsoon in India. As it was difficult for me in the past. Islands we passed called Awnings, belong to the French. Recent islands of Polynesia's most advanced east.

      Extremely interesting feeling to be in the Pacific. Because now I'm on the middle of it.

      June, 1943. Thursday 17th

      Pacific equator at 132 ° longitude

      I wake up in the morning with beautiful sunshine. Sea like a mirror. At midday heat.

      At very calm seas allowed to open the windows in the dining room of my people. It is therefore tolerable.

      In the afternoon, the captain gave dobrodziejskie management. Not sleep on board. Since the on-board B is not enough for all places on board let go only to mothers with children. This is a boon for children.

      Same with this order using. It's not every day a moonlit night (full moon) passes through the equator in the Pacific. Again, I can see the Southern Cross. Beata, a good sign for us to once again go back to the northern hemisphere from Southern Cross visible. Why you can not look at this shiny depths of the sea. But very soon!

      June, 1943. Friday the 18th

      Pacific.

      This morning some concern. At 8 am on the horizon appeared a big ship. Immediately began signaling. It turned out the American commercial vessel.

      Weather great. Nice, the north wind has cooled fresh air. How nice even though we are almost on the equator. Blue sea and plenty of flying fish. But some darker, less nice than those in the Atlantic.

      We are far from the mainland. Birds gone. Pacific Centre. A beautiful moonlit night.

      June, 1943. Saturday 19th

      Morning nicely. But the sun is treacherous.

      On the upper deck, we now attempt to represent the children. Yet they are not very prepared.

      In the evening, a sad event. He died on board one of the critically ill Marines who are evacuated from Guadalcanal. At the end of the Deku B, where is located the biggest caliber gun body provided. They are covered with the American flag. Guard of honor next. Next to the coffin officers, the captain of the ship. Protestant priest refuses to prayer. Then the triple salvo guard of honor. "We commit his body to the deep". The body slide down to the sea. We all salute. Flag the ship abandoned. Flag is and will be devoted to his family.

      June, 1943. Sunday 20th

      Last Sunday on the ship. Ocean of the week like a sheet. Now I understand why it is called the Pacific. Morning sun, afternoon cloudy and not very nice day.

      In the evening, as usual, on the deck reflect on all that surrounds me, what awaits me.

      What I've done since the departure of Bombay:

      706 people transported from India to Mexico. Neatly under, nothing so far has not happened.
      Filled up the diary.
      I completed my English if I could.
      I got to know the soul of the Pole, who was in Russia.
      I got to know quite well in theory, Australia, New Zealand and Polynesia. Practically: Melbourne, Wellington and the Pacific from the southwest to the northeast.
      I prepared myself to Mexico.

      June, 1943.Poniedziałek 21

      Apparently tonight there were some concerns. Nothing I have not heard of tem. We all have confidence in our captain.

      Seen moving away from the equator, because actually getting colder and again should be put warm ubranie.Jak incredible greed created in the Poles stay in Russia. Anyone who has or has not applied for some clothes. This creates yet accustomed to darmochy - very niepedagogiczne.

      In the evening, the dining hall had read about Mexico - a lot of interest. And as usual I finish the day in the evening on board - cold and windy. Again, you can see the Great Dipper.

      June, 22 1943.Wtorek

      Pacific

      This morning shake. Our children are preparing to present-folk dancing. Morning with Karolka Tyszkiewicz and Hela Kowalikówną we offer him the master of the program.

      At two o'clock we all gathered on the deck. Everything was caked with soldiers and sailors. The captain took our seats. The prelude was my speech. Content - that Polish women and children aboard the families of their comrades in arms.

      The choir and the highland dance, melody and the Krakowiak. Great costumes made complied with success. Captain Townsend said the Polish!

      After the presentation of tea for everyone, which made the captain. Great Polish Map of propaganda was made by me.

      Evening. Again on the same board. Beata how close I am you.

      June, 1943. Wednesday 23

      Today, the mood on the ship preparing to come - the end of the trip. Morning repeat performances for the Marines. Again, full of Polish-Americans.

      In the afternoon presentation gives Marines and airmen Australian.

      In the evening sea burzliwsze. Away she appeared. Traffic-American ship going to Panama.

      In the evening, a long conversation with the captain in his emergency cabine. Then in the living room with Captain ... (41) Australian and Colonel Hammer, who was in Grudziadz cavalry school.

      Then again Winguist and BORWOOD. What will happen in three days? When I see Beatka?

      June, 1943.Czwartek 24

      Pacific

      Since the end of last night's show and I begin to prepare for the end of the trip. Farewell to a number of people with whom I was close. As usual in such cases saving the addresses of the mutual promises of writing, etc. I did not feel like I got used to the "Hermitage", my cabin, the terrible degree, after which many a day I was running from the deck A to deck D and F, these officers, passengers, the Marines.

      Beautiful weather, the sun, the river is not seen.

      Last night on the ship. As usual, the night I go out on the deck. The dark moonless night. Last night in the Pacific. Tomorrow United. So I finally will be in the States! And all of this is true.

      June, 1943. Friday the 25th

      San Pedro. Port of Los Angeles

      I could not sleep much. Sunrise great. The ship has a complete violation of the existing discipline.Three bombers flying out to meet us. We pass the island. One would want to touch it - are you sure the U.S. mainland.

      We go into the bay. Full tank of oil. At eleven nailed to the pier. I see crowds of Americans, apparently including Sokolowski (42). Is that Beatki not, but it's probably impossible. Seeing the captain goodbye and promise to meet in life.

      The first twelve are injured, then our refugee beautiful bus ride to camp. I leave the party.Formalities, luggage, money for refugees. Dropping me Mr. Dozer director of the office of Immigration. Las oil wells. Los Angeles 25 Rosslyn Hotel. America, Los Angeles, lights - I'm totally stunned.

      June, 1943. Saturday 26

      Morning Fig Orda (43). Polish Jews. Representatives of the Polish colony. I walk the streets of a big city in America. It's all incredible. The number of cars, the skyscrapers.

      At noon with Mr. Zaremba and Mr. Pale, both Polish Americans. We go through great Grifith Park CC Camp where our women of transport. Great way to go. This abundance. The camp workers. In the camp the perfect mood. Women frantically fast wore the gifts that they brought the American Poles.

      We're going to camp for men - Cangou. We're shooting in the area, great California. Heaven on earth.Location of the camp great. Too bad the wires and neighbors Germans and Japanese.

      Back to the Los Angeles Chinatown. Stories about the local life of my Polish American.

      In the evening of the companions of the ship: Harrell, steward Ester, outfitted in the bigge

    • Lenarda Szymczak
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 18, 2013

        Julek, this is fabulous history, all so very important.

        Lenarda, Australia