KS Meeting in POSK London UK

  • Barbara
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 14, 2013
      Hi Group

      Today I attended my first KS London get together in POSK. Being the new kid on the block I felt a bit nervous on arrival, but Eva's and Helen's welcoming smiles soon put me at ease. It was also a pleasure to meet Elzunia, Mirka and all the members that managed to make it in spite of the heatwave. Before long I felt as if I'd known everybody all my life and that we are all one big happy family. It is a privilege to be a member of an organisation which is doing such fantastic work in documenting online an important part of Polish history based on the experiences of our families, and also enabling us to find the missing links within our own family history. We all know that in order for KS to run smoothly it needs as much help and support as possible from all its members, and I am prepared to help in whatever way I can. I look forward very much to the next KS London meeting.

      Best regards
      Barbara Ryszkowska, London UK
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 14, 2013
        Hi Barbara

        Thanks for your message and we ARE one big family that has been scattered to re winds for nearly 75 years and is now coming back together in new and different ways.

        I wish I could have been in London with you all. But today I was in Buenos Aires meeting Survivors and Descendants and will write more on that in my next message.

        Best regards
        Stefan Wisniowski
        Kresy-Siberia Foundation President

[...]

      • Andrew Stephen
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 14, 2013
          Amazing.

          On my trip there last year, I was informed that the 3rd largest ethnic group  in Argentina after the Spanish & Italian was Polish?

          Andrew.

          Sydney Australia.

          To: Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 15, 2013

            Thanks for those kind words Barbara. Since I first joined the group a couple of years ago I've always tried to get to these gatherings and have enjoyed them.

            Yesterday we brought along some books we had for sale and also  what proved to be very popular were sets of beautiful cards generously  gifted and privately printed by our own member Krystyna Mew for the  Kresy-Siberia Virtual Museum.  The cards are prints of Krystyna's  father Edward Herzbaum's paintings and are poignant reminders of his time  in the Middle East as a young soldier in the Polish Army.  I'm not sure which was my favourite card here. Edward was undoubtedly a very gifted man as evidenced not only by his art work but also his memoirs which Krystyna had published in the book" Lost Between Worlds".   The book is a moving and beautifully written account of the young Edward's  arrest by the NKVD in Lwow and his deportation to a Soviet gulag and then the  so called 'amnesty', which enabled him, with many other Poles, to join the Polish Army to fight in Italy against the Germans, including at the Battle of Monte Cassino.

            Once again Krystyna thank you for your generous gift.
             Kind regards
            Helen
             Colchester

          • krystynamew
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 15, 2013
              Thank you very much Helen for your kind words. I do hope that the cards continue to be popular and generate some much needed funds for the maintenance and development of the Virtual Museum.
              Krystyna Mew
              France

              --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, Helen Bitner <helen.bitner@...> wrote:

              > Thanks for those kind words Barbara. Since I first joined the group a couple of years ago I've always tried to get to these gatherings and have enjoyed them.
              >

              > Yesterday we brought along some books we had for sale and also what proved to be very popular were sets of beautiful cards generously gifted and privately printed by our own member Krystyna Mew for the Kresy-Siberia Virtual Museum. The cards are prints of Krystyna's father Edward Herzbaum's paintings and are poignant reminders of his time in the Middle East as a young soldier in the Polish Army. I'm not sure which was my favourite card here. Edward was undoubtedly a very gifted man as evidenced not only by his art work but also his memoirs which Krystyna had published in the book" Lost Between Worlds". The book is a moving and beautifully written account of the young Edward's arrest by the NKVD in Lwow and his deportation to a Soviet gulag and then the so called 'amnesty', which enabled him, with many other Poles, to join the Polish Army to fight in Italy against the Germans, including at the Battle of Monte Cassino.
              >
              > see http://www.lostbetweenworlds-herzbaum.com
              >
              > Once again Krystyna thank you for your generous gift.
              > Kind regards
              > Helen
              > Colchester

            • szypowska
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 15, 2013
                Thank you, Helen,  for letting us know about the event and the cards.

                I wanted to also let the group know that they can see all of Edward Herzbaum’s paintings in the Virtual Museum Hall of Memories, at the following link .... http://kresy-siberia.org/hom/element/english-paintings-and-drawings/album-of-edeks-paintings-and-drawings-1942-1946/

                Krystyna Szypowska,
                Winnipeg, Canada

                ----------------------------

                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 15, 2013
                  Krystyna, I want to congratulate you on the wonderful tribute to your father. I was deeply moved reading about his life on your website. He must have been a very special person. I'm working on my parents' memoires at the moment and your work has given me lots of inspiration.

                  I look forward to seeing you at the next POSK get together.

                  Best regards

                  Basia Ryszkowska

                  --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, "krystynamew" <krystynamew@...> wrote:

                  > Thank you very much Helen for your kind words. I do hope that the cards continue to be popular and generate some much needed funds for the maintenance and development of the Virtual Museum.
                  > Krystyna Mew
                  > France
                  >
                  > --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, Helen Bitner <helen.bitner@> wrote:
                  > >

                  > > Thanks for those kind words Barbara. Since I first joined the group a couple of years ago I've always tried to get to these gatherings and have enjoyed them.
                  > >

                  > > Yesterday we brought along some books we had for sale and also what proved to be very popular were sets of beautiful cards generously gifted and privately printed by our own member Krystyna Mew for the Kresy-Siberia Virtual Museum. The cards are prints of Krystyna's father Edward Herzbaum's paintings and are poignant reminders of his time in the Middle East as a young soldier in the Polish Army. I'm not sure which was my favourite card here. Edward was undoubtedly a very gifted man as evidenced not only by his art work but also his memoirs which Krystyna had published in the book" Lost Between Worlds". The book is a moving and beautifully written account of the young Edward's arrest by the NKVD in Lwow and his deportation to a Soviet gulag and then the so called 'amnesty', which enabled him, with many other Poles, to join the Polish Army to fight in Italy against the Germans, including at the Battle of Monte Cassino.
                  > >
                  > > see http://www.lostbetweenworlds-herzbaum.com
                  > >
                  > > Once again Krystyna thank you for your generous gift.
                  > > Kind regards
                  > > Helen
                  > > Colchester

                • krystynamew
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 15, 2013
                    Thanks Basia. It was quite a cathartic process. You will probably find the same. My father died when I was ten and doing the book and the website actually helped me come to terms with his death, admittedly over forty years late. I do hope to come over for one of the POSK meals at some point, but this year it wasn't possible.

                    With kind regards
                    Krystyna Mew
                    France.