Re: DP-Camps in Deutschland und Österreich - Google Ma ps

  • Bernard Starzewski
    Message 1 of 2 , May 18, 2013
      Yes, exactly!
      Dad was at Penneburg which is listed in your link.
      See this photo series..

      The building in the background was a combined school (1st floor) and dorms in the upper floors.
      That's dad on the left!

      In so many ways the ones that were taken to Germany were the lucky ones as if you survived the allies made a valiant humanitarian effort to help not only the DPs but the Germans as well.
      I think it saved Europe.

      Here is a photo from a class reunion that was sent to him.
      He did not attend.

      They even organized boy scout troops!
      I have his membership card.

      In a classroom.

      A class of children saved by the allies.

      It was an amazing thing not ever seen in the aftermath of any war in human history.

    • Lenarda Szymczak
      Message 2 of 2 , May 18, 2013

        Bernie, this is so amazing, because when I research on what is said in group and good material is shared, I have no idea of the history of members and by members replying as you did,  adding to the information found, teaches us all.

        It now appears that the Kresy people were taken, exiled, escaped and ended up in so many different places. My mother was lucky to be taken to Germany, she was fed better, worked hard, but lived better and was helped by Allies after war.

        Krystyna you will have to add another section to KVSM, or add more material to what already exists.

        Regards

        Lenarda, Australia.