Re: April deportations - can anyone explain the figures?

  • Mark and Oyun
    Message 1 of 2 , May 17, 2013

      Dear Peter,

      Here I am back with the group after an enforced absence. The difference of numbers is one we have dealt with previously in the group. The discrepancy comes from which particular set of numbers one chooses to believe.

      In 1940 and the first half of 1941, the Soviets deported more than 1,200,000 Poles, most in four mass deportations. The first deportation took place 10 February 1940, with more than 220,000 sent to northern European Russia; the second on 13 April 1940, sending 320,000 primarily to Kazakhstan; a third wave in June–July 1940 totaled more than 240,000; the fourth occurred in June 1941, deporting 300,000.

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occupation_of_Poland_(1939%E2%80%9345)

      The Polish Wikipedia gives the following:

      February 1940: 140,000

      April 1940: 61,000

      June 1940: 80.000

      June 1941: 85,000

      http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Represje_ZSRR_wobec_Polak%C3%B3w_i_obywateli_polskich_1939-1946

      It's my first day back so I'm not going to be controversial about "old" figures versus "new" ones. Suffice it to say that you are free to choose which numbers to believe. You may like to go back to some of the previous posts that deal with this issue at great length.

      Regards, Mark Ostrowski