Re: Storm on the Caspian Sea

  • Alexandra Copley
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 27 1:39 AM
      Hi Krystyna

      Our family was already in Pahlevi on 28 March 1942 - see photo in my collection in the Hall of Memories.  One of my father's stories from my childhood was of the terrible storm that befell our crossing of the Caspian Sea.  My guess has therefore been that the storm occurred on 27 March.  If, however (as others state) this stormy-affected crossing took 3 days it could have occurred on 25/26 March, with the ship disabled until we landed in Pahlevi on 28 March.

      Of course, there may have been more than one storm, on more than one day, when the evacuations took place.  A number of accounts of crossing the Caspian refer to a storm at sea - perhaps they all refer to the same crossing, or perhaps this occurred several times.  Bad weather there seems to be common at that time of year.

      Alexandra Copley
      Australia