Looking for Jozef Tokarski

  • tomandruscavage
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 18 2:18 PM
      Hi,

      My name is Tom Andruscavage and I have already been welcomed to this fascinating group. I am hoping to learn what happened to my mother's brother, Jozef (Joseph) Tokarski who was last seen getting off a Soviet train in Siberia in 1942.

      My mother, Wladyslawa Wladzia Tokarska is known today as Lottie Andruscavage and she lives in northern Wisconsin. Her family came from Polotnica and included:
      Father: Joseph Tokarski
      Mother: Frances Tokarska
      Brothers: Joseph, Francis, Henry, Theodore
      Sister: Polly

      They were taken from their home on February 10, 1940 and, along with my mom's cousin, Geneve, were deported to Siberia to the work camp at Kubalo. In January 1942, with the amnesty negotiated by General Sikorski, they boarded a train bound for Parog. Once there, Geneve was taken and was allegedly sent back to Poland to be with her family but her arrival was never confirmed.

      When the train moved on and arrived in Vologda, mom's family was told the train would remain for three days and three nights. By this time Polly and Theodore were dead. Her father, mother, brothers Henry and Joseph and my mom were all sick. Joseph left the train to go into the village seeking medicine but the train departed that same evening and he was never seen or heard from again. My mother is the only known survivor from her family unless Joseph is still alive.

      Any guidance you could give as to how we could either find him alive or learn what happened to him would be very much appreciated.

      Thank you,
      Tom
    • Helen Bitner
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 18 2:50 PM
      Hi Tom
      I know you are a member. i think that what happened was that I made you a member as soon as I saw your details and then you may have also applied through Yahoo so I got another request from them to approve your membership. I just wanted to make absolutely certain that there were not two people with the same name. Not likely I know  but…

      Kind regards
      Helen Bitner
      Colchester UK

      PS I'm attaching some research links that experienced members have posted from time to time and  hope they  might help in your research.

    • tomandruscavage
      Message 3 of 3 , Apr 18 3:07 PM
        Hi, Helen -

        Yes, that's exactly what happened... only one Tom Andruscavage that I am aware of. :)

        Thanks again,
        Tom