Re: [www.Kresy-Siberia.org] article58-30a

  • Stanislaw Zwierzynski
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 7 12:04 AM
      Dear Chris!

      Do not look for a black cat in a dark room, especially when it's not there.
      It could just be a typo. There were many.
      Do you think they were tried - it hardly. As I told Mr. Rogachev of Komi, where the "product" (ie, our parents and grandparents) were many, simply created  a list and sent it to Moscow (Kiev, Minsk) for approval. It always claimed.
      It turns out that the key to this "procedure" was a clerk of the NKVD, which could be illiterate.

      The entire Article 58 - a kind of approval: the enemy of people.
      Stan from M.

      Chris I found the same information Stan did. However, in researching all the Siberia deportees in my family, I have found snippets of information from other sources. In 1934 the NKVD (later known as the KGB) was put in charge of the labor camps. Ann Applebaum's book "Gulag" p6 states "people were sentenced not for what they had done, but for who they were...The definition of who was and who was not an enemy also varied, from place to place sometimes overlapping with the definition of "prisoner of war." p128 "territories occupied by Red Army 1939-1941, usually had an even more haphazard character." Applebaums 2011 book "Gulag Voices An Anthology" contains 2 essays of Polish soldiers who were part of General Ander's Army. Kazimierz Zarod was an army reservist in 1939. He fled from Warsaw to eastern Poland and was arrested. His essay was from his 1990 book titled "Inside Stalin's Gulag." I do not have this book but the essay suggests he was arrested because he was a Pole who spoke fluid Russian. The second essay is by Gustav Herling who was arrested in Soviet-occupied Eastern Poland in 1940. The English version of his book A World Apart" was published in 1951. He was deported to a camp near Arkhangelsk. In reading many biographies I have found enough connective clues to add substance to the family documents I have. The most valuable information for me have been these 3 Polish books. "Polacy w Kazachstanie w Latach 1940-1946 " by Stanislaw Ciesielski, Wroclaw, 1996. "Cynga Wspomnienia z Lagrow Polnocy 1940-1944" by Jerzy Drewnowski, 1989 and "My Deportowani" by Czapski,Grubinski,Herling-Grudzinski'Krakowiecki'Obertynska, Umiastowski,1989. I do not speed read in Polish and it has been quite a few years since I read these books. Summer is my serious research time. I am planning to read these books again and if I find anything on article code 58-30a I will post it. Hope you find something sooner. Regards - Ewa D.-Nevada

    • Anne Kaczanowski
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 7 8:26 AM
        I just reread my dad's Volhyn Archive file and  he was condemned to five years labour, based on being on the newly formed Russian  border and Polish and that was wrong somewhere  between article 16-80 which in their words was (low)....this was 1940 crimanal code Ukraine SSR. They referred to it as " illegal transition of frontier USSR onto territory of German boundary".

        Also Solzhenitsyn said:  All  the articles of the Code had become encrusted with interpretations, directions, and instructions.  And if the actions of the accused are not covered by the Code he can still be convicted.  Need I say more?

        hania

        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 7 8:54 AM
          Anne!

          Ironically, my grandfather also tried for illegal border crossing - Article 120 of the Criminal Code of the BSSR.
          Usually for it - five years in camp, but because my grandfather was osadnik, he received eight years.

          Actually, it is strange that Article 58 applied to the Poles. This article was purely a Russian (Ukrainian, Belarussian), it was used mainly in 1937-38., A typical sentence on it - shooting (under execution means 10 years imprisonment without the right of correspondence).

          Stan from M.

          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 7 9:09 AM
          Very much appreciate everyone's input and interest and because pictures speak louder than words I've attached two images of
          my uncle's release document where you will see 58-30a written. Given the nature of the internet and out of respect for my uncle's
          memory I prefer to leave his name blanked out for the moment. I've no doubt his conviction was a sham like all others. Have also
          attached a translation.

          Chris Calgary
        • Anne Kaczanowski
          Message 5 of 16 , Apr 7 9:43 AM
              Originally when I asked for these...from Memorial .....they were retyped by State Archives....more often they do not retype everything as originally written...so possibly there is something missing in mine, because it only states under Article 16-80 KK,  but never mentions 58 .  Stan do you read this as I do?  Now this was after being already imprisoned after 6 months that this file was written with a conviction to five years hard labour.

            виписка з проттоккколу 77 від 30 лиітня 1940 р./за ст.ст. 16-80 кк урср до п"яти років виправнотрудових таборів/назва табору не вказана/урср до п"яти років виправнотрудових таборів/назва табору не вказана

            hania

            Message 6 of 16 , Apr 7 12:27 PM
            Дорогой Крис!
            Хоть я и не юрист, но обладая неким мышлением и временем, сообщаю вам, что кажется я ваш ребус разрешил. Сообщаю вам последовательно.

            1. Цифра 58-30а означает, что человек был осужден по статье 58, и ему было "добавлено" по статье 30а.

            2. На тот момент времени, судя по местности, действовал Уголовный кодекс Украины 1927 г.
            В интернете я его не нашел. Зато я нашел уголовный кодекс РСФСР 1926 г., откуда статьи списывались автоматически, только у них была другая нумерация. Его я выкладываю для исследователей.
            3. Путем сложных умозаключений я пришел к выводу, что статья 58 УК УССР соответствует статье 62 УК РСФСР, а статья 30а) УК УССР соответствует статье 34а УК РСФСР.

            4. Статья 62 УК РСФСР гласит " Организованное по взаимному соглашению сокрытие или неверное показание количества подлежащих обложению или учету предметов". Наказание в отношении организаторов и руководителей - лишение свободы на срок до 2 лет или исправительно-трудовые работы на срок до одного года, с конфискацией части имущества или без этого.
            Почему там стоит приговор - 3 года, я не знаю.

            5. Статья 34 а) - поражение в правах (дополнительно). Статья говорит о том, что на этот срок заключения гражданин лишался
            а) активного и пассивного избирательного права;
            б) права занимать выборные должности в общественных организациях;
            в) права занимать те или иные государственные должности;
            г) права носить почетные звания;
            д) родительских прав;
            е) права на пенсии, выдаваемые в порядке социального страхования и государственного обеспечения, и на пособие по безработице, выдаваемое в порядке социального страхования.
            Таким образом, гражданин был осужден по статье 58 УК УССР на 3 года и лишен на это время всех гражданских прав.

            Анне, ваш случай (папа) аналогичный.
            Статья 16-80 - это основная статья 16 и в довесок - дополнительная статья 80.
            По основной части (ст. 20 УК РСФСР) - это есть мера социальной защиты судебного характера, то есть не штраф, а заключение,
            довесок - это статья 84 УК РСФСР: нелегальное пересечение границы, наказание - до 3-х лет лагерей.

            То есть, вашего отца осудили за нелегальное пересечение границы, к исправительным работам.
            Почему дали 5 лет при максимуме 3 - не знаю, моему деду дали 8 лет.

            В 1920-23 гг. за аналогичное преступление расстреливали (время красного террора).
            Стан из М.

            Dear Chris!
            Although I am not a lawyer, but having a certain way of thinking, and time, tell you that I think your puzzle is solved. Report to you consistently.

            1. Figure 58-30a means that person has been convicted under Article 58, and he was "added" under Article 30a.

            2. At that time, according to the locality, acting Criminal Code USSR 1927.
            In Internet I did not find it. But I found the Criminal Code of RSFSR 1926, from which articles were written automatically, but they had a different numbering.
            I put it to investigators.
            3. Through complex reasoning, I came to the conclusion that Article 58 of the Criminal Code Ukrainian SSR is article 62 of the RSFSR Criminal Code,
            and Article 30 a) of the Criminal Code of Ukrainian SSR corresponds to Article 34a of the Criminal Code of the Russian Federation.

            4. Article 62 of the RSFSR Criminal Code states: "Organized by mutual agreement of the concealment or fouling of dutiable or the subject matter." Punishment of the organizers and leaders - deprivation of liberty for up to 2 years or corrective labor for up to 1 year, with confiscation of property or without it."
            Why was a sentence - 3 years, I do not understand.

            5. Article 34 a) - deprivation of rights (optional). The article says that this sentence citizen deprived
            a) active and passive voting rights;
            b) the right to hold elective office in community organizations;
            c) the right to hold certain public offices;
            d) the right to wear honor;
            e) parental rights;
            e) the right to the pension of the order in social security and public welfare, and unemployment benefits granted in the order of social insurance.

            Thus, citizen was convicted under Article 58 of the Criminal Code of the Ukrainian SSR for 3 years and during this time deprived of all civil rights.

            Dear Anne, your case (male) equivalent.

            Article 16-80 - is the main section 16 and in the appendage - additional article 80.

            For the main part (Article 20 of the Criminal Code of RSFSR) - is a measure of social protection of a judicial nature, that is not a penalty, byt conclusion,
            appendage - is Article 84 of the RSFSR Criminal Code: illegal crossing of the border, the punishment - up to 3 years imprisonment.

            That is, your father was convicted of illegally crossing the border, to hard labor.
            Why was given 5 years as a maximum is 3 - I do not know, my grandfather gave 8.

            In 1920-23 years  for a similar offense shotted (Krasny terror).

            Stan from M.

            Message 7 of 16 , Apr 7 1:15 PM
              Thank you very much Stan for deciphering and giving further definition to this obscure law!
              Unfortunately the text is completely scrambled and unreadable in your ms word document.

              Is there anyway to correct the text you copy & paste into ms word.

              Regards
              Chris Calgary

              Message 8 of 16 , Apr 7 1:25 PM
              Try this Chris...

              hania

              Message 9 of 16 , Apr 7 1:41 PM
                Hey Anne

                Was able to read what Stan wrote in English on the forum page and your word doc, that's not the problem.
                Stan's word doc is 62 pages of scrambled Unicode text?

                Chris Calgary

                  Hey Stan don't know if you got my earlier message could you
                  send your ms word doc again. 1st one had 62 pages of scrambled
                  Unicode text and was unreadable.

                  Chris Calgary

                  --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, Chris W <wroblew705@...> wrote:

                  > Hey Anne
                  >
                  > Was able to read what Stan wrote in English on the forum page and your word doc, that's not the problem.
                  > Stan's word doc is 62 pages of scrambled Unicode text?
                  >
                  > Chris Calgary
                • Stanislaw Zwierzynski
                  Message 11 of 16 , Apr 9 6:27 AM
                  Dear Chris!
                  Yes, sent again from other comp.
                  On the original computer is Russian version of Window-7, the computer on which I'm now complaining - Win-2000. Actually, I noticed that the further develops MS its "windows", the less I like them.
                  Stan.

                  Hey Stan don't know if you got my earlier message could you
                  send your ms word doc again. 1st one had 62 pages of scrambled
                  Unicode text and was unreadable.

                  Chris Calgary

                  --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, Chris W <wroblew705@...> wrote:

                  > Hey Anne
                  >
                  > Was able to read what Stan wrote in English on the forum page and your word doc, that's not the problem.
                  > Stan's word doc is 62 pages of scrambled Unicode text?
                  >
                  > Chris Calgary

                • Chris W
                  Message 12 of 16 , Apr 9 7:07 AM
                    Thanks for this Stan that document has no problems and can be read.

                    Chris Calgary

                    On the original computer is Russian version of Window-7, the computer on which I'm now complaining - Win-2000. Actually, I noticed that the further develops MS its "windows", the less I like them.
                    Stan.

                    Hey Stan don't know if you got my earlier message could you
                    send your ms word doc again. 1st one had 62 pages of scrambled
                    Unicode text and was unreadable.

                    Chris Calgary

                    --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, Chris W <wroblew705@...> wrote:

                    > Hey Anne
                    >
                    > Was able to read what Stan wrote in English on the forum page and your word doc, that's not the problem.
                    > Stan's word doc is 62 pages of scrambled Unicode text?
                    >
                    > Chris Calgary

                  • Barbara Milligan
                    Message 13 of 16 , Apr 9 8:57 AM
                      All I get from both is a Yahoo page saying "STATUS 404".

                      Best wishes,

                      Basia (UK)
                      On 9 Apr 2013, at 15:07, Chris W wrote:

                      > Thanks for this Stan that document has no problems and can be read.
                      >
                      > Chris Calgary

                    • Barbara Dunleavy
                      Message 14 of 16 , Apr 17 5:50 AM
                        Hello Hania,

                        I am very interested in what you wrote about finding your dad's Wolyn Archive file.  Can you please tell me where you got this from?  I have no idea why my Dad ended up in Siberia.   He had, at first, been 'conscripted' into the Red Army - all the men of around his age living in his and surrounding villages were conscripted.   He ended up in Siberia and then, thank God, was able to join Anders Army.   I have his records from the MOD  but there is nothing in them about his time in Siberia, where he was or why he was sent there.

                        Thank you in advance for any help you are able to give me.

                        Warmest wishes to you.

                        Barbara Szczepanska Dunleavy
                        England