[www.Kresy-Siberia.org] Re: newspaper articles from 1942 - Polish troops in Pahlevi

  • AnnaR
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 4 3:02 PM
      --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, George Neisser <george.neisser@...> wrote:

      Dear Jurek,

      In fact, if you are a staff member at the University, you can access The Times digital archive. Although I can access JSTOR with my alumni card, I can't access The Times archive for some reason. I'll have to look into it!

      Ann

      Dear Ann,

      > Many thanks for this very useful information. I wasn't aware that The Times digital archive is free via Manchester Central Library. (I will apply to join!)
      >
      > I do have access to JSTOR and the academic indexes and will be accessing these resources further in search of wartime newspaper articles.
      >
      > It might be useful to draw up a list of websites offering digital newspaper archives?
      >
      > I appreciate your offer of help and will be in touch in the next day or so.
      >
      > Best wishes
      >
      > Jurek
      >

      > ________________________________

    • George Neisser
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 4 4:31 PM
        Dear Ann,

        Many thanks for this. Having checked I do have access to most newspapers except The Daily Telegraph. Do you know if this is accessible via the Manchester Central Library?

        Jurek

        In fact, if you are a staff member at the University, you can access The Times digital archive. Although I can access JSTOR with my alumni card, I can't access The Times archive for some reason. I'll have to look into it!

        Ann

        Dear Ann,

        > Many thanks for this very useful information. I wasn't aware that The Times digital archive is free via Manchester Central Library. (I will apply to join!)
        >
        > I do have access to JSTOR and the academic indexes and will be accessing these resources further in search of wartime newspaper articles.
        >
        > It might be useful to draw up a list of websites offering digital newspaper archives?
        >
        > I appreciate your offer of help and will be in touch in the next day or so.
        >
        > Best wishes
        >
        > Jurek
        >

        > ________________________________

      • Dan Ford
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 5 4:05 AM
          >There are also many interesting contemporary articles available via
          JSTOR on the Manchester University website (which I access via my alumni
          library card!).

          Making JSTOR and similar electronic resources available to alumni is not
          uncommon in the US, though it often takes a continuing grant from a
          philanthropic-minded alum. (It's not considered politically correct in
          the US to say alumnUS or alumnI because it "marginalizes" the alumNAE.)
          I get such access through the University of New Hampshire. Researchers
          who have a connection with a research university might well check to see
          if it has a similar program.

          (I was a student at Manchester, in 1954-1955. At that time the catalog
          was a PRINTED book, with handwritten updates. Nor was the rotunda
          reading room heated. I was therefore astonished, when I first started
          playing around with the infant internet in 1991-1992, to find that the
          first electronic library catalog in the world was Manchester's.) -- Dan
          Ford US
        • John Halucha
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 5 5:54 AM
            Jurek, if you undertake to lead this review of popular media (newspapers, magazines, movies, newsreels, etc.?) I would be very much interested in joining your team.
            Thanks for the vote of confidence, Krystyna, but as a fellow citizen of what what Voltaire called "a few acres of snow" you will know that even with the Internet my access to primary sources is limited. I can't get into the archives Jurek has brought up, for example. But I can try to participate in analysis or to build context for materials found by others who are better positioned geographically and professionally. If your concept of a mini-team doesn't come to pass I would still like to have a look at any such materials in my ongoing quest for personal understanding, so I hope such priceless sources will continue to be shared on the forum.
            John Halucha
            Sault Ste Marie, Canada

            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 5 10:14 AM
              Just a suggestion, checking the USA Library of Congress, you might be surprise what you might find there.

              Anna

              http://www.loc.gov/index.html
              http://www.loc.gov/library/libarch-digital.html
              http://catalog.loc.gov/
              http://www.loc.gov/z3950/gateway.html

              Many thanks for this. Having checked I do have access to most newspapers except The Daily Telegraph. Do you know if this is accessible via the Manchester Central Library?

              Jurek

              In fact, if you are a staff member at the University, you can access The Times digital archive. Although I can access JSTOR with my alumni card, I can't access The Times archive for some reason. I'll have to look into it!

              Ann

              Dear Ann,

              > Many thanks for this very useful information. I wasn't aware that The Times digital archive is free via Manchester Central Library. (I will apply to join!)
              >
              > I do have access to JSTOR and the academic indexes and will be accessing these resources further in search of wartime newspaper articles.
              >
              > It might be useful to draw up a list of websites offering digital newspaper archives?
              >
              > I appreciate your offer of help and will be in touch in the next day or so.
              >
              > Best wishes
              >
              > Jurek
              >

              > ________________________________

            • George Neisser
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 5 10:38 AM
                Thanks John, I'm putting together a draft initial project plan for comment and will circulate to all those interested within two or three days.

                Best wishes

                Jurek Neisser
                Manchester
                England

                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 5 10:50 AM
                  Thank you Anna, I will check them out.

                  Jurek

                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 5 12:31 PM
                    Hello Jurek

                    I've been following this discussion with interest and was wondering if I could trouble you (when convenient)to locate an article or articles written by a British War Correspondent named Howe(1st name unknown)? I have a reference in a 1943 No.26 BLU (British Liaison Unit)journal with the notation:

                    - Quizil Ribat 17/18 Mar 1943 Mr. Howe British War Correspondent visits Polish Lancer Regts and 2 Polish Tank Bde.

                    Unfortunately there is no mention of the Paper he worked for. I would be very interested to read his piece if you could find it.

                    Chris Calgary