Re: Translation

  • ryszardsys
    Message 1 of 30 , Apr 2 8:45 AM
      I think (difficult to read a couple of the words) it says something like "My dear friends who laid the road to O??????"

      Rys
      UK

      --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, "Vincent Geffroy" <geffroy@...> wrote:

      > I have this inscription on the reverse side of one of my father's photos. Could somebody please translate into English for me.
      >
      > Thanks
      > Karen Geffroy (Nikiel)
      > Cape Town

    • olgalinkiewicz
      Message 2 of 30 , Apr 2 10:06 AM
        It says:
        "To my dear colleague who paves the way to homeland".

        Best,
        Olga Linkiewicz
        NY, USA

        --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, "ryszardsys" <ryszardsys@...> wrote:

        > I think (difficult to read a couple of the words) it says something like "My dear friends who laid the road to O??????"
        >
        > Rys
        > UK
        >
        > --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, "Vincent Geffroy" <geffroy@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I have this inscription on the reverse side of one of my father's photos. Could somebody please translate into English for me.
        > >
        > > Thanks
        > > Karen Geffroy (Nikiel)
        > > Cape Town

      • Vincent Geffroy
        Message 3 of 30 , Apr 2 11:12 AM
        Beata, Olga & Rys

        Thank you so much for the translations. After all these years I now know what the writer wished to say. As you observe Beata, a "very poignant dedication" indeed. Sadly my late father never made the journey back to his homeland. He had nothing & nobody left to return to. I am attaching the actual photograph bearing this inscription, in the hope that somebody may just recognise the young lady who wrote this message.

        Karen Geffroy (Nikiel)
        Cape Town