"Karamin"

  • ebard55
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 23, 2013
      "Deportation and Exile Poles in the Soviet Union, 1939-48" by Keith Sword - chapter 3 "The Evacuation of Poles from the USSR During 1942" p67 "The first ship of the sea transport service Karamin left Krasnovodsk on 24 March and reached Pahlevi (present-day Bandar Anzali) on the following day." There is no source next to "Karamin" however, in the same paragraph source #31 is listed. This source is listed on pages 218 and 219. "PRO FO371 32630. "Report on Evacuation of Poles from Pahlevi, 25 March-25 April' by Lt-Col. A. Ross. (hereafter 'Ross report'), p.2. The report is dated 3 June 1942 and is one of three reports on the 1942 evacuations that Ross compiled. Ross who was a Russian speaker (his mother was Russian) and also spoke some Polish, served in the Highland Light Infantry and was, at this time, Officer in Charge of the British Base Evacuation Staff at Pahlevi. When he returned to Pahlevi in August to supervise the second evacuation of Poles, he arrived as an official of the Middle East Relief and Refugee Administration (MERRA) which shortly before had taken over responsibility for the reception and onward movement of all Polish civilian refugees." Sword's book has a 7 page "Select Bibliography." Wladyslaw's Wojcik's book "Polish Spirit" is not mentioned. However, this may just be a matter of publication dates.
      My Dad left notes on the" Battle of Bzura" his wounds, hospital stay,German arrest papers, escape to Lwow with the help of 2 military school friends. He summed up the family's Siberia experience in one sentence, documents and heartbreaking pictures. Research is cathartic!
      Regards, Ewa D. - Nevada, USA
    • Lenarda Szymczak
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 23, 2013

        Ewa, this is eyewitness report of KARAMIN SHIP/VESSELL but so frustrating to find who owned it, where it came from and any official record.  The Caspian Sea was a landlocked sea and all ships on it should be known to someone and recorded, in some language. But officially there is very little record of the crossing, except from eyewitness reports from surviving Exiles. Research is cathartic and now we only have the huge task of allowing the world to experience this.

        Regards,

        Lenarda, Australia

[...]

      • Chris W
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 23, 2013
          The reference to the Ross report can be found at the National Archives under FO 371/32630 Financial assistance for Polish relief. Code 48 file 87 (papers 8731 - 9918) Here is the link http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/details/C2789868?descriptiontype=Full&ref=FO+371/32630

          Chris Calgary

          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 23, 2013

            Chris, this is excellent, thank you so much, will follow it up.

            Lenarda, Australia

            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 23, 2013

              Edek and Chris, this is excellent find.  Now we need member, members who know the routine to enter site and retrieve information and hopefully post it to group so we can all share.

              Thanks again,

              Lenarda, Australia

              The reference to the Ross report can be found at the National Archives under FO 371/32630 Financial assistance for Polish relief. Code 48 file 87 (papers 8731 - 9918) Here is the link http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/details/C2789868?descriptiontype=Full&ref=FO+371/32630

              Chris Calgary

              " "PRO FO371 32630. "Report on Evacuation of Poles from Pahlevi, 25 March-25 April' by Lt-Col. A. Ross. (hereafter 'Ross report'), p.2. The report is dated 3 June 1942 and is one of three reports on the 1942 evacuations that Ross compiled.

            • wroblew705
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 23, 2013
                You're most welcome Lenarda! This same officer Lt. Col. Ross was mentioned in post No. 53006 back in Nov 2012.

                "From the book titled PAIFORCE: The official story of the Persia and Iraq Command 1941 - 1946. On page 127 "When Lt.- Col.A. Ross, of the Highland Light Infantry, who was to command the British Base Evacuation Staff, arrived on the 25th [of March] , he found Pahlevi thickly carpeted with snow and the first transport, carrying 1,387 evacuees, already lying off harbour."

                Chris, Calgary

                --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, "Lenarda Szymczak" <szymczak01@...> wrote:

                > Edek and Chris, this is excellent find. Now we need member, members who
                > know the routine to enter site and retrieve information and hopefully post
                > it to group so we can all share.
                >
                > Thanks again,
                >
                > Lenarda, Australia
              • Carol Clements
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 24, 2013
                  Could our group apply for these papers. They are not available as digi images.
                  Caroluk

                  Carol C H C
                  Sent from my iPad

                  On 23 Mar 2013, at 21:41, Chris W <wroblew705@...> wrote:

                  The reference to the Ross report can be found at the National Archives under FO 371/32630 Financial assistance for Polish relief. Code 48 file 87 (papers 8731 - 9918) Here is the link http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/details/C2789868?descriptiontype=Full&ref=FO+371/32630

                  Chris Calgary

                  " "PRO FO371 32630. "Report on Evacuation of Poles from Pahlevi, 25 March-25 April' by Lt-Col. A. Ross. (hereafter 'Ross report'), p.2. The report is dated 3 June 1942 and is one of three reports on the 1942 evacuations that Ross compiled.

                • Eva
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 24, 2013
                    Hi Carol,
                    I will ask Dr Siobhan Peeling from Nottingham University to obtain the report from the National Archives for us as she will be there after Easter doing some research for us on our Forever Exiled in the West project that we are currently undertaking.
                    Best regards.
                    Eva Szegidewicz
                    Kresy-Siberia (UK)

                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 24, 2013
                      Seeing the keen interest in this topic one other doc is available at KEW under WO 204/8711  -  Evacuation of Polish citizens from Krasnovodsk: report on refugee camps in Persia  1942 Aug., Sept.

                      Chris, Calgary