Re: [www.Kresy-Siberia.org] Re: [Kresy-Siberia] On-line database of "victims of political terror in the USSR"

  • farrah khan
    Message 1 of 29 , Mar 17, 2013
      Dear Mark,
      God bless you for your kind help! The spelling of Bogielski is different though this must be grandfather.
      Many thanks
      Farrah

      From: Richard Kozlowski <r52302@...>
      To: Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Sunday, 12 February, 2012, 2:23 PM

      Ryszard, if you have the time could you look up KOZLOWSKI, Eugeniusz?  He was rounded up in Slawiec, I think, in about 1940.  Thanks, Rich Kozlowski
      On Feb 12, 2012, at 3:58 PM, ryszardsys wrote:

      I don't know if anyone has posted this site before, however, a contact on mine in Belarus who does genealogical research as a hobby pointed me to it.

      The site is http://lists.memo.ru/

      It is in Russian. I have found my mother's side of the family who were exiled to Arkangelsk in 1940, so I now the database contains them, however my dads side who went to Krasnorjarski Kraj are not.

      It contains details of all "political" crimes from as early as 1930, the sentences issued. Interesting, my mums family are listed by them as "Belarussians" so they were "mistakenly" exiled (even though they think of themselves as Poles).

      My Belarussian is not brilliant, but if anyone wants me to look up their names, I'm happy to do so.

    • farrah khan
      Message 2 of 29 , Mar 17, 2013
        Dear Ryszardsys,
        Thanks again,
        These are my mother's brothers and sisters. Nadzieja was their mother and wife of Antoni.
        The spellings are a little different though the people are all the same. Galina was Halina and Nadezhda ( my grandmother) was Nadzieja.
        Regards,
        Farrah.
        Message 3 of 29 , Mar 17, 2013
          Dear Ryszardsys,
          These were my two uncles.Edward settled down in the U.K. and Eugene went to the U.S.A.
          Thank you very much indeed. Maybe you could very kindly tell me how I can go about researching my grandparents from the few details that I have of them, like who were their parents and the names of their siblings? Maybe your kind friend in Bellarus who does this for a hobby can help me out?
          Regards,
          Farrah.

          Message 4 of 29 , Mar 18, 2013
            Farrah,

            Apologies on the spellings, but I simply google translated into English rather than Polish (wasn't sure if you read Polish) and of course the "IE" becomes just an "E" in Russian.

            I'll see what else I can find out for you later in the week...at least you know that Nadzieja's father was Andrzej now, so that takes you back one generation more.

            Message 5 of 29 , Mar 18, 2013
              Thanks again Richard,
              I did know that Nadzieja's father was Andrzej,  from the Karta list but Andrzej. .............? It seems only first names were recorded, not surnames I mean.  Then I do not have her mother's name all I know was she hailed from Pinsk and had a sister named Maria.

              Apologies on the spellings, but I simply google translated into English rather than Polish (wasn't sure if you read Polish) and of course the "IE" becomes just an "E" in Russian.

              I'll see what else I can find out for you later in the week...at least you know that Nadzieja's father was Andrzej now, so that takes you back one generation more.

              Rys
              UK

              --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, farrah khan <farrahk56@...> wrote:

              > Dear Ryszardsys,Thanks again,These are my mother's brothers and sisters. Nadzieja was their mother and wife of Antoni.The spellings are a little different though the people are all the same. Galina was Halina and Nadezhda ( my grandmother) was Nadzieja.
              > Regards,Farrah.

            • ryszardsys
              Message 6 of 29 , Mar 18, 2013
                The Russian records don't contain a "z domu" or maiden name, instead they follow the Russian standard naming convention of firstname, surname, father's firstname - which is a great shame.

                Have you tried a visit to the Sikorski museum in London? I had a similar problem until I visited there and all my family records were there.

                Rys

                Message 7 of 29 , Mar 18, 2013
                  No I have not visited the U.K for many years now and don't think I will be visiting anytime in the near future either, which I feel bad about now that you tell me about records in the Sikorski Museum.
                  Farrah

                  The Russian records don't contain a "z domu" or maiden name, instead they follow the Russian standard naming convention of firstname, surname, father's firstname - which is a great shame.

                  Have you tried a visit to the Sikorski museum in London? I had a similar problem until I visited there and all my family records were there.

                  Rys

                  --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, farrah khan <farrahk56@...> wrote:

                  > Thanks again Richard,
                  > I did know that Nadzieja's father was Andrzej,  from the Karta list but Andrzej. .............? It seems only first names were recorded, not surnames I mean.  Then I do not have her mother's name all I know was she hailed from Pinsk and had a sister named Maria.

                • Dan Ford
                  Message 8 of 29 , Mar 18, 2013
                    It would be a great help if members would delete the long string of
                    posts that can accumulate in a thread like this one. In the case of this
                    particular post, I had to page down through TWENTY-EIGHT screens to get
                    to the next post. (And then it proved that there wasn't a next one....)
                    Thanks! -- Dan Ford US
                  • Lenarda Szymczak
                    Message 9 of 29 , Mar 18, 2013

                      Dan, message understood and it stops much frustration on the receivers end.

                      Regards,

                      Lenarda, Australia