Re: KOMI UhtiZemLag

  • stephen.stelmaszuk@btinternet.com
    Message 1 of 22 , Mar 6, 2013
      Dear Stan could you pleases look to see if my dad is on this list.According to papers i have he was in the same area as John's dad and uncle.His name is Aleksander Stelmaszuk released 10/09/41 Doc Number 63/133922 Soviet spelling Ctenbmawyk
      thanks Stephen._____________

    • Stanislaw Zwierzynski
      Message 2 of 22 , Mar 6, 2013
        Stephen,
        Alexander was born in 1928? He was osadnik? His father (your grand) was Feliks?
        Stan from M.

        Dear Stan could you pleases look to see if my dad is on this list.According to papers i have he was in the same area as John's dad and uncle.His name is Aleksander Stelmaszuk released 10/09/41 Doc Number 63/133922 Soviet spelling Ctenbmawyk
        thanks Stephen._____________

      • Elzunia/Elizabeth Gradosielska/Maczka
        Message 3 of 22 , Mar 6, 2013
          Did your grandfather live in Wilno Carol?
          I wonder if your grandfather knew my dad from days before the war then? they were the same age, though my dad moved to Wilno when he was around 11.
          Was Antoni in the scouts? my dad was in the sea scouts, Blekitna Jedynka and was at many camps during the years before the war.
          Then he was at cadet school in Modlin and Warsaw.
          Seeing as they were both at the same camp SevZhelDorLag and then both ended up in the sappers of 5KDP, they must have made the same journey from the camp to Tatishchevo.

          pozdrowienia
          Elzunia Gradosielska Olsson
          Alingsås, Sweden
          Names: Maczka. Gradosielski.
          Kresy: Osada Krechowiecka. Wilno.
          Siberia: Monastyriok. Siewzeldorlag, Komi.
          Army: Pestki 316 Transport. Sappers 5KDP.

          --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, Carol Clements <craftyccc@...> wrote:

          > My grandfather was in the camp SevZhelDorLag his name is Antoni Mieldun, born 1916. Father Jozef Mieldun.
          > Please can you see if you can find him on your list.
          > Many thanks
          >
          > Carol UK
          > Antoni Mieldun
          > Born Wilno 1916
          > Polish Soldier
          > Captured 1939 and sent to Siberia.
          > Amnesty
          > Joined Anders Army
          > Palestine
          > Italy Monte Cassino
          >
          > Carol C H C
          > Sent from my iPad

        • Carol Clements
          Message 4 of 22 , Mar 7, 2013
            I wondered that too. His photos are in your fathers book. I know very little about his life as a young boy. I am in contact with some of his family but they do not know much as he was captured in 1939 at the train station with other soldiers. His family never saw him again, they thought he was dead till my grandmother contacted the Red Cross and found out where they were repatriated to. He returned in the mid 1980's to see his sister, brother and their families.
            He lived in Nowe Verki, Wilno. His father worked at a paper factory there. Does your mother know of a man named Tad Wojcik. He was my grandfathers friend. They went through everything together and both ended up in Clitheroe Barracks after the war. Tad lived in South Wales after he married. When your fathers book came out i think it was Tad that sent it. I took it to Poland after he died. Maybe I will find the missing pieces of the jigsaw one day.

            Carol UK

            Carol C H C
            Sent from my iPad

            Message 5 of 22 , Mar 7, 2013
              yes, I see T Wojcik in several photos but the name doesn't ring a bell. The saperzy had many get-togethers after the war during my childhood so I do recognise many of the men in the book but not him or your grandfather unfortunately.
              Have you found him on Karta? I couldn't - has Antoni checked the Russian lists for you?
              Elzunia

              --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, Carol Clements <craftyccc@...> wrote:

              > I wondered that too. His photos are in your fathers book. I know very little about his life as a young boy. I am in contact with some of his family but they do not know much as he was captured in 1939 at the train station with other soldiers. His family never saw him again, they thought he was dead till my grandmother contacted the Red Cross and found out where they were repatriated to. He returned in the mid 1980's to see his sister, brother and their families.
              > He lived in Nowe Verki, Wilno. His father worked at a paper factory there. Does your mother know of a man named Tad Wojcik. He was my grandfathers friend. They went through everything together and both ended up in Clitheroe Barracks after the war. Tad lived in South Wales after he married. When your fathers book came out i think it was Tad that sent it. I took it to Poland after he died. Maybe I will find the missing pieces of the jigsaw one day.
              >

              > Carol UK
              >
              > Carol C H C
              > Sent from my iPad
              >
              > On 7 Mar 2013, at 00:10, "Elzunia/Elizabeth Gradosielska/Maczka" <elzunia@...> wrote:
              >
              > > Did your grandfather live in Wilno Carol?
              > > I wonder if your grandfather knew my dad from days before the war then? they were the same age, though my dad moved to Wilno when he was around 11.
              > > Was Antoni in the scouts? my dad was in the sea scouts, Blekitna Jedynka and was at many camps during the years before the war.
              > > Then he was at cadet school in Modlin and Warsaw.
              > > Seeing as they were both at the same camp SevZhelDorLag and then both ended up in the sappers of 5KDP, they must have made the same journey from the camp to Tatishchevo.
              > >
              > > pozdrowienia
              > > Elzunia Gradosielska Olsson
              > > Alingsås, Sweden
              > > Names: Maczka. Gradosielski.
              > > Kresy: Osada Krechowiecka. Wilno.
              > > Siberia: Monastyriok. Siewzeldorlag, Komi.
              > > Army: Pestki 316 Transport. Sappers 5KDP.
              > >
              > > --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, Carol Clements wrote:
              > > >

              > > > My grandfather was in the camp SevZhelDorLag his name is Antoni Mieldun, born 1916. Father Jozef Mieldun.
              > > > Please can you see if you can find him on your list.
              > > > Many thanks
              > > >
              > > > Carol UK
              > > > Antoni Mieldun
              > > > Born Wilno 1916
              > > > Polish Soldier
              > > > Captured 1939 and sent to Siberia.
              > > > Amnesty
              > > > Joined Anders Army
              > > > Palestine
              > > > Italy Monte Cassino
              > > >
              > > > Carol C H C
              > > > Sent from my iPad

            • Carol Clements
              Message 6 of 22 , Mar 7, 2013
                Yes someone found him for me on Karta. He was under the surname of Meldun not Mieldun.
                Granddad and Tad were in the barracks in a little town in Lancashire. They could not speak English. I do not know about the Russian lists or who Antoni is.
                I have papers from Karta but I will have to email them so someone can translate for me. I hope to get around to scanning them at the weekend
                CarolUK

                Carol C H C
                Sent from my iPad

                Message 7 of 22 , Mar 7, 2013
                  --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, Stanislaw Zwierzynski <zwierzinski1957@...> wrote:

                  > Stephen,
                  >
                  > Alexander was born in 1928? He was osadnik? His father (your grand) was Feliks?
                  >
                  > Stan from M.
                  >
                  > Cant be my dad Stan.He was born in 1912 in Uhrusk Chelm Sobibor to Marcin and Aneila Stelmaszuk nee Kowalczuk on 8/04/1912.
                  > ________________________________

                • Tony Konieczny
                  Message 8 of 22 , Mar 8, 2013
                    Dear All
                    It is so rare to see SevZelDorLag in group correspondence that I felt compelled to respond with one jigsaw piece.
                    My father, Stanislaw Konieczny, survived this camp to make it to England, where he served in the RAF in Sealand, Cheshire. He never spoke about it.
                    I do know that he did have an officer friend called Olek, whom he saved from Katyn by dressing him as a private. Not much else.
                    I would .ike to know how anyone could survive that camp.
                    He was born in 1909 and lived in a small village Nowe Siolo, near Tarnopol, close by the old Ukranian border.
                    If this  helps research of others, this will be good.

                    Regards
                    Tony Konieczny

> [...]

                    > > Was Antoni in the scouts? my dad was in the sea scouts, Blekitna Jedynka and was at many camps during the years before the war.
                    > > Then he was at cadet school in Modlin and Warsaw.
                    > > Seeing as they were both at the same camp SevZhelDorLag and then both ended up in the sappers of 5KDP, they must have made the same journey from the camp to Tatishchevo.
                    > >
                    > > pozdrowienia
                    > > Elzunia Gradosielska Olsson
                    > > Alingsås, Sweden
                    > > Names: Maczka. Gradosielski.
                    > > Kresy: Osada Krechowiecka. Wilno.
                    > > Siberia: Monastyriok. Siewzeldorlag, Komi.
                    > > Army: Pestki 316 Transport. Sappers 5KDP.
                    > >
                    > > --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, Carol Clements wrote:
                    > > >

                    > > > My grandfather was in the camp SevZhelDorLag his name is Antoni Mieldun, born 1916. Father Jozef Mieldun.
                    > > > Please can you see if you can find him on your list.

                  • Carol Hornby Clements
                    Message 9 of 22 , Mar 8, 2013

                      I hope more members will chip in with information. I am trying to learn all I can.
                      CarolUK

                    • Lenarda Szymczak
                      Message 10 of 22 , Mar 8, 2013

                        Tony, thank you and yes it does assist others, because sometimes the smallest of fragments, is the key to making sense of the jig saw.

                        Warmest regards,

                        Lenarda, Australia

> [...]

                        > > Was Antoni in the scouts? my dad was in the sea scouts, Blekitna Jedynka and was at many camps during the years before the war.
                        > > Then he was at cadet school in Modlin and Warsaw.
                        > > Seeing as they were both at the same camp SevZhelDorLag and then both ended up in the sappers of 5KDP, they must have made the same journey from the camp to Tatishchevo.
                        > >
                        > > pozdrowienia
                        > > Elzunia Gradosielska Olsson
                        > > Alingsås, Sweden
                        > > Names: Maczka. Gradosielski.
                        > > Kresy: Osada Krechowiecka. Wilno.
                        > > Siberia: Monastyriok. Siewzeldorlag, Komi.
                        > > Army: Pestki 316 Transport. Sappers 5KDP.
                        > >
                        > > --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, Carol Clements wrote:
                        > > >

                        > > > My grandfather was in the camp SevZhelDorLag his name is Antoni Mieldun, born 1916. Father Jozef Mieldun.
                        > > > Please can you see if you can find him on your list.

                      • Carol Clements
                        Message 11 of 22 , Mar 9, 2013
                          I wonder where your father got the photos?
                          I guess my grandfather would not be able to attend those gatherings with living in such a small town in Lancashire. There seemed to be a lot of Poles that lived there. I remember being taken to various Polish clubs as a child. When he died those that were left attended his funeral.
                          It is only during the last couple of years that I thought about trying to find some information. After my mother died I had a few photos and some religious pictures he carried around throughout the war years and the small amount of information she told me.
                          I am happy to have found this group and the help of some of the missing pieces.
                          Thank you all for that.

                          CarolUK

                          Message 12 of 22 , Mar 9, 2013
                            It seems that my dad's army photos are at the Sikorski museum so I'm not sure what is there. I've taken home one album (I was in London a couple of weeks ago) but haven't had time to look at it, there are some army photos in it. I would assume that he collected photos from his army buddies to include in the book and then gave them back.
                            I also have an exercise book he used as a diary from his scout days before the war, handwritten with tiny, tiny photos - so cute.
                            Elzunia

                          • Carol Clements
                            Message 13 of 22 , Mar 9, 2013
                              How wonderful you have a diary. I must visit the museum this year.
                              Caroluk

                              Carol C H C
                              Sent from my iPad