Re: Hospital in Ahwaz, Persia 1942

  • Frances
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 6, 2013
      Anna

      How amazing!! It's wonderful that you have been able to find more details about your Aunt and her work for the Red Cross in Iran - also it's quite possible that she may have even met and/or cared for my father. Although - as she was very sick on arrival in Pahlevi it may have been some time before she was able to start to work.

      The image of your father as a very young man, trudging through the camps looking for Jadzia is heartbreaking - also knowing he was able to save her life by giving her his rations is also very moving.

      By the way, my father too was on that first ship on March 24th across the Caspian Sea. I assume those joining the Air Force and Navy were the first to leave because they were being sent on to the UK for training with the Allies, whereas the Second Corps were to be trained in the Middle East. Would I be correct in thinking this?

      I found the article by my usual method, Google. I think Google is now my middle name......... it's how I found my Polish family.

      Best wishes
      Frances

      --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, "annapacewicz" <annapacewicz@...> wrote:

      > Dear Frances,
      >
      > My Auntie Jadzia (Jadwiga Pacewicz) was a Sister with the Polish Red Cross, first in Tehran and then on 4th May 1942 was transferred to the 18th Medical Company Iran. I managed to find a link on the internet - if you scroll down there is a section on the 113th General Hospital where your father was treated:
      >
      > http://history.amedd.army.mil/booksdocs/wwii/medsvcsinmedtrnmnrthrtrs/chapter2.htm
      >
      > In short, 18th Medical Company
      > Persian Gulf Service Command � shipment of US troops arrived in Iran Dec 1942. With them came the personnel of 2 station hospitals. Between Jan & June 1942 3 field hospitals established in Iran (18th, 19th, 26th).
      > The 18th Medical Company had operating hospitals at Sultanabad, Ahwaz and Bandar Shahpur.
      > The US Military Iran Mission � Field and General Hospitals staffed by U.S. Army Medical Officers and Polish refugee nurses
      >
      > Kind regards
      > Anna Pacewicz
      > Sydney
      >
      > --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, "Frances" <frncsgts@> wrote:
      > >

      > > I have finally found a photograph of the hospital in Ahwaz where my
      > > father was treated en route from USSR to Palestine in 1942. He was on
      > > the first transport to Pahlevi.
      > >
      > > I know there have been earlier posts about this hospital (including from
      > > me) - so there may be interest in this photograph. Other photographs in
      > > the full article about army hospitals show them to be tent-based - the
      > > one in Ahwaz looks quite substantial construction-wise. One of our
      > > members had written in the past that a family member worked here as a
      > > nurse.
      > >
      > > http://www.med-dept.com/mtoHosp.php
      > >
      > > [img] 113th General Hospital, at Ahwaz, Persia (Iran). The
      > > 113th Station Hospital with a 750-bed capacity arrived in the Persian
      > > Gulf Area 11 May 43. It offered complete treatment for all diseases
      > > and injuries and even served as clearinghouse for patients being
      > > evacuated by air to the ZI through the 38th Gen Hosp in Egypt. On 7
      > > Sep 43 the unit was reorganized and redesignated the 113th General
      > > Hospital (now operating a 1000-bed plant). The picture illustrates
      > > the 113th Gen Hosp in Oct 43, note the particular layout; a radial
      > > pattern with connecting wings. The Hospital was disbanded 21 Aug 45.
      > >
      > > Frances

    • annapacewicz
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 8, 2013
        Frances,

        Yes isn't amazing so many cross-overs! Do you remember when we first met at the Polish Club in Ashfield. Would we have believed then that our father's were on the same ship out of Russia!

        I believe from the "Polish Spirit" book and the information that Eva Dryanski provided that the first shipment on the 24th March included the airmen and sailors for onward transport to the UK.

        Best regards,

      • Lenarda Szymczak
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 8, 2013

          Frances and Anna, this is truly amazing and if not for group then none of this would have been known.  So much time was lost, to now find pieces, but we are all in that situation.  Knowledge in positive, is happiness and strength.  Happy for both of you.  Tak jest, it is written in the book.   Our life, by being Polish, is orchestrated by the Great Power above and we go down certain paths for a reason and only know what it is when we get there.   Absolutely amazing or it was it written in the book by the powers above. You are Polish, do not question, only believe.

          Warmest regards,

          Lenarda, Australia

> [...]

          > > > one in Ahwaz looks quite substantial construction-wise. One of our
          > > > members had written in the past that a family member worked here as a
          > > > nurse.
          > > >
          > > > http://www.med-dept.com/mtoHosp.php
          > > >
          > > > [img] 113th General Hospital, at Ahwaz, Persia (Iran). The
          > > > 113th Station Hospital with a 750-bed capacity arrived in the Persian
          > > > Gulf Area 11 May 43. It offered complete treatment for all diseases
          > > > and injuries and even served as clearinghouse for patients being
          > > > evacuated by air to the ZI through the 38th Gen Hosp in Egypt. On 7
          > > > Sep 43 the unit was reorganized and redesignated the 113th General
          > > > Hospital (now operating a 1000-bed plant). The picture illustrates
          > > > the 113th Gen Hosp in Oct 43, note the particular layout; a radial
          > > > pattern with connecting wings. The Hospital was disbanded 21 Aug 45.

        • Frances
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 8, 2013
            Anna

            It was great to have 'bumped into' you over that delicious Polish food at the club.
            Since that time you have found so much amazing information about your father's journey - also what happened to your grandfather, culminating in your important and emotional journey to Bykownia.

            Thank you for all the tireless work you are now doing for K-S and the museum.

            Warm wishes