Sverdlovsk camp

  • danadler2007
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 4, 2013
      Hi,

      I thought that the camp my mother's family were at was in Sverdlovsk Oblast area. But I found some notes where my mother also said that they floated logs down the Lena River, so that can't be in the same region at all. I found a location in Irkutsk which has the same name. If you type this into google map, you will see it on the Lena River.

      Russia, Irkutskaya oblast, Irkutsk, Sverdlovskiy okrug, Siberia

      Were there any known camps in that area?

      Thanks,
      Dan Adler
      NY, USA
    • Lenarda Szymczak
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 4, 2013

        Dan, my Grandfather Mikolaj Chmielewski was taken  from Niwna, Zhitomirski Oblast by NKVD 1937 to Sverdlovsk na Urali, where he was to cut trees and float down river, but he drowned in 1938. I have no further information.  You have just given me shivers as you are the closest to this information in all my research.

        Regards,

        Lenarda, Sydney, Australia

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 5, 2013
          When my dad told his story I too was directed to Lena River....as he prounounced it "Neesa".......when in fact in time I realized it  meant Yenisiej river.  There were many camps here and Yeniseij runs through Krasnoyarsk.

          hania

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 7, 2013
            I was told specifically Lena. I see that it forks off from Yeniseij. Do you know of any connection of that river and Sverrdlovsk?

            Thanks,
            -Dan

            --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, Anne Kaczanowski <kazameena@...> wrote:

            > When my dad told his story I too was directed to Lena River....as he prounounced it "Neesa".......when in fact in time I realized it  meant Yenisiej river.  There were many camps here and Yeniseij runs through Krasnoyarsk.
            >
            > hania
            >

            > ________________________________

          • danadler2007
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 7, 2013
              Yes, I saw your amazing story in the archive! My mother's family was there later, 40-41.

              I'll let you know if I find out any more information.

              -Dan
              NY, USA
              --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, "Lenarda Szymczak" <szymczak01@...> wrote:

              > Dan, my Grandfather Mikolaj Chmielewski was taken from Niwna, Zhitomirski
              > Oblast by NKVD 1937 to Sverdlovsk na Urali, where he was to cut trees and
              > float down river, but he drowned in 1938. I have no further information.
              > You have just given me shivers as you are the closest to this information in
              > all my research.
              >
              > Regards,
              >
              > Lenarda, Sydney, Australia

            • Lenarda Szymczak
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 8, 2013

                Dan from NY

                Thank you so much. Will keep my eyes open.

                Lenarda,

                Sydney, Australia