Introducing new member Eva Puchalski from Châte auguay, QC Canada

  • Helen Bitner
    Message 1 of 22 , Mar 3, 2013

      Dear Group
      Please welcome new member Eva who asked to become a member in order to contact another family member from our group. And the outcome was a complete success but I'll leave Eva to tell the story herself.
      How wonderful is that!
      Kind regards
      Helen Bitner
      Colchester
      Uk

       Hello, Helen.

      I almost went mad trying to contact the member of your group who was searching for Adolf and Henryk Puchalski, but I did manage to contact him due to dogged determination on my part.

      His name is Stefan Gillian.  His father is my late father Henryk's brother.

      Stefan and I have emailed a couple of times, and I received an email from Stefan's father, Edward Gillian (he changed his name).  I replied and sent him a photo of myself that was taken recently.

      I'm just flummoxed at the thought that I've found my Polish family again after all these years, Helen.  It's mind-boggling.

      Please admit me to your group.  I have so much to learn about the time in which my late grandfather and father fought during the war(s).  Stefan's original post enlightened me a lot.  My late father tended to be very close-mouthed about his war-time experiences and didn't give me many details about his time during the war.  I can hardly say that I blame him about it, though.

      One thing my late father told me was that he watched his best friend die during the war.  That had to have been horrific.  I know that he has a very close friend in London, UK, a war-time buddy.  I'm going to have to rack my name to try to remember his name.  Oddly, I remember the buddy's wife's name.  It will come to me.

      Thank you for emailing me.

      I look forward to getting to know you and the other members of the group.

      Cheers,
      Eva Puchalski

    • Stanislaw Zwierzynski
      Message 2 of 22 , Mar 3, 2013
        Hi, Eve!
        As I understood, you live in Nord Pole? I lived something little to south.
        In Russian base
        http://lists.memo.ru/index16.htm

        I find your father - exactly.

        Пухальский Генрих Адольфович
        Родился в 1921 г., м. Докшицы Шарковщинского р-на; поляк; образование среднее; крестьянин, единоличное хоз-во. Проживал: Витебская обл., Шарковщинский р-н, д. Германовичи.
        Арестован 23 марта 1940 г.
        Приговорен: ОСО 28 августа 1940 г., обв.: 64, 74, 22-120 - Социально-опасный элемент.
        Приговор: 8 лет ИТЛ, отбыв.: Ухтижемлаг НКВД СССР. Освоб.: 27.08.1941

        Реабилитирован 6 ноября 1992 г. Прокурор Витебской области Источник: Белорусский "Мемориал"

        Puhalski Henryk son Adolfa
        Born in 1921, m Dokshitsi Sharkovszinsky district; Poles, secondary education; peasant households of the sole.
        Lived: Vitebsk region., Sharkovszinsky district, village Germanoviczy.
        He was arrested on March 23, 1940.
        Sentenced: OSO August 28, 1940: 64, 74, 22-120 UK BSSR - public enemy.
        Sentence: 8 years of corrective labor camp after serving.: Uhtizhemlag NKVD.
        Free: 08/27/1941

        Rehabilitated November 6, 1992 Prosecutor Vitebsk
        Source: Belarusian "Memorial"

        You, as daughter of rehabilited, have rights to go to Vitebsk KGB (security service) and learn your's father  criminal case.

        Good beginning.
        Stan from M.

        Message 3 of 22 , Mar 3, 2013
        Hi, Ewa!

        I find your father in list KOMI UhtiZemLag - yes!

        Пухальский Генрих Адольфович, 1921 г.р., поляк, м.р. мест.Докшицы, Вилейская обл., Белорусская ССР, м.п. мест.Германовичи, Вилейская обл., Белорусская ССР. Арестован 23.03.1940. Осужден 28.08.1940 ОСО при НКВД СССР по ст.64, 74 УК БССР на 8 лет лишения свободы. Прибыл 15.02.1941 из тюрьмы г.Вилейки. Освобожден 27.08.1941.
        New information - formerly birth place was in Vilejska oblast, miastechko (litle town) Dokshitsy. Lived in 1940 in miastechko Germanowiszy.
        Father arriweid in UhtiZemLag 15.02.1941 from prison of Vilejka.

        S.

        Message 4 of 22 , Mar 3, 2013

          Dear Eva, welcome again and so happy for your find and your family, I understand how you feel, as myself, and others have found lost family through group and assistance.  Now the gaps get filled in and the journey of learning about your history begins. Glad to have you onboard.

          Regards,

          Lenarda, Sydney, Australia

          Message 5 of 22 , Mar 5, 2013
            This is amazing, Stan.
            Can you see if you can find the names of my father and uncle, too?
            My father: Jan Hałucha, son of Jakub, born 11.IV.1915 at Młodów (Lubaczów), Poland
            My uncle: Jakub Hałucha, son of Jakub, born 14.VIII.1919 at Młodów (Lubaczów), Poland

            In Russian, my uncle's name (and probably my father's) was written Galux or Galuch. You can see the actual Russian writing on my uncle's release certificate posted at http://kresy-siberia.org/hom/element/john-halucha/freedom-from-soviet-paradise/
            Thank you again, Stan.
            John Halucha
            Sault Ste Marie, Canada

            Message 6 of 22 , Mar 5, 2013
              Hi, John!

              I watched with interest your paper (your father).
              I sent you privat.
              Your father was in PechorLag or SevPechLag - built railway from station Kozhva to Vorkuta.
              It was the worst camp of all Komi - Gulag camps.
              It killed most people.
              Similar camp (just south) was SevZhelDorLag - Poles built road from Kotlas to Kozhva (Elzuna's father etc.).
              Vilage Abez - center of SevPechLag, now called Pechora town - easy to find on the map.

              Unfortunately, nearly complete lists of prisoners (1940-41.) In Komi exist only for UhtiZhemLag.

              SevPechLag - no on  lists.

              Processed only 10-15% of registration cards for other Komi 4 camps:
              1) VorkutaLag
              2) UstVymLag
              3) SevZelDorLag
              4) SevPechLag

              At this moment, the Interior Ministry archives are closed - there were not even allowed researchers.
              On all calls (including me) answer - NO! nothing!

              Archivists from Interior Ministry - a worthy continuer of Lenin and Stalin. They just doing a secret order from Moscow.
              When this criminal order canceled - I do not know. Can never be.

              I'm here for 3 months can not find out about my grandfather (ever since I learned that he was in the Komi Republic). I writing letters - no response!

              Here are, John, deals in Russia.
              But we have become accustomed. It's all belching communism. But the contagion is very tenacious.

              We will wait for policy changes in RF.

              Stan from M.

              Message 7 of 22 , Mar 5, 2013
                Thanks, Stan.
                Due to the translator, I am not clear on whether you plan to send me something privately or if you sent it already (if so, it has not arrived yet). Either way, again thank you.
                Also, Abez (Abiez, Abez'), about half-way between Pechora (Pieczora) and Vorkuta (Workuta), was a central administration centre and although my uncle's certificate was signed there he may not have actually been imprisoned there.
                I share your frustration about not being able to access more information. You are diligent and persistent, and if anyone can find out more then surely it is you. How fortunate we are that you generously share so much of what you find.
                Good luck with your searches.
                John Halucha
                Sault Ste Marie, Canada

                Message 8 of 22 , Mar 5, 2013
                  Hi Stan,
                  I know you are getting a few requests, but if you find the time would you please see if my grandfather is on that list, his details are:

                  Stanislaw Rzepka        son of Jan          born 2/4/1898

                  Kind regards,
                  Jackie Rzepka
                  New Zealand

                  Message 9 of 22 , Mar 6, 2013
                    My grandfather was in the camp SevZhelDorLag his name is Antoni Mieldun, born 1916. Father Jozef Mieldun.
                    Please can you see if you can find him on your list.
                    Many thanks

                    Carol UK
                    Antoni Mieldun
                    Born Wilno 1916
                    Polish Soldier
                    Captured 1939 and sent to Siberia.
                    Amnesty
                    Joined Anders Army
                    Palestine
                    Italy Monte Cassino

                    Carol C H C
                    Sent from my iPad
                  • stephen.stelmaszuk@btinternet.com
                    Message 10 of 22 , Mar 6, 2013
                      Dear Stan could you pleases look to see if my dad is on this list.According to papers i have he was in the same area as John's dad and uncle.His name is Aleksander Stelmaszuk released 10/09/41 Doc Number 63/133922 Soviet spelling Ctenbmawyk
                      thanks Stephen._____________

                    • Stanislaw Zwierzynski
                      Message 11 of 22 , Mar 6, 2013
                        Stephen,
                        Alexander was born in 1928? He was osadnik? His father (your grand) was Feliks?
                        Stan from M.

                        Dear Stan could you pleases look to see if my dad is on this list.According to papers i have he was in the same area as John's dad and uncle.His name is Aleksander Stelmaszuk released 10/09/41 Doc Number 63/133922 Soviet spelling Ctenbmawyk
                        thanks Stephen._____________

                      • Elzunia/Elizabeth Gradosielska/Maczka
                        Message 12 of 22 , Mar 6, 2013
                          Did your grandfather live in Wilno Carol?
                          I wonder if your grandfather knew my dad from days before the war then? they were the same age, though my dad moved to Wilno when he was around 11.
                          Was Antoni in the scouts? my dad was in the sea scouts, Blekitna Jedynka and was at many camps during the years before the war.
                          Then he was at cadet school in Modlin and Warsaw.
                          Seeing as they were both at the same camp SevZhelDorLag and then both ended up in the sappers of 5KDP, they must have made the same journey from the camp to Tatishchevo.

                          pozdrowienia
                          Elzunia Gradosielska Olsson
                          Alingsås, Sweden
                          Names: Maczka. Gradosielski.
                          Kresy: Osada Krechowiecka. Wilno.
                          Siberia: Monastyriok. Siewzeldorlag, Komi.
                          Army: Pestki 316 Transport. Sappers 5KDP.

                          --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, Carol Clements <craftyccc@...> wrote:

                          > My grandfather was in the camp SevZhelDorLag his name is Antoni Mieldun, born 1916. Father Jozef Mieldun.
                          > Please can you see if you can find him on your list.
                          > Many thanks
                          >
                          > Carol UK
                          > Antoni Mieldun
                          > Born Wilno 1916
                          > Polish Soldier
                          > Captured 1939 and sent to Siberia.
                          > Amnesty
                          > Joined Anders Army
                          > Palestine
                          > Italy Monte Cassino
                          >
                          > Carol C H C
                          > Sent from my iPad

                        • Carol Clements
                          Message 13 of 22 , Mar 7, 2013
                            I wondered that too. His photos are in your fathers book. I know very little about his life as a young boy. I am in contact with some of his family but they do not know much as he was captured in 1939 at the train station with other soldiers. His family never saw him again, they thought he was dead till my grandmother contacted the Red Cross and found out where they were repatriated to. He returned in the mid 1980's to see his sister, brother and their families.
                            He lived in Nowe Verki, Wilno. His father worked at a paper factory there. Does your mother know of a man named Tad Wojcik. He was my grandfathers friend. They went through everything together and both ended up in Clitheroe Barracks after the war. Tad lived in South Wales after he married. When your fathers book came out i think it was Tad that sent it. I took it to Poland after he died. Maybe I will find the missing pieces of the jigsaw one day.

                            Carol UK

                            Carol C H C
                            Sent from my iPad

                            Message 14 of 22 , Mar 7, 2013
                              yes, I see T Wojcik in several photos but the name doesn't ring a bell. The saperzy had many get-togethers after the war during my childhood so I do recognise many of the men in the book but not him or your grandfather unfortunately.
                              Have you found him on Karta? I couldn't - has Antoni checked the Russian lists for you?
                              Elzunia

                              --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, Carol Clements <craftyccc@...> wrote:

                              > I wondered that too. His photos are in your fathers book. I know very little about his life as a young boy. I am in contact with some of his family but they do not know much as he was captured in 1939 at the train station with other soldiers. His family never saw him again, they thought he was dead till my grandmother contacted the Red Cross and found out where they were repatriated to. He returned in the mid 1980's to see his sister, brother and their families.
                              > He lived in Nowe Verki, Wilno. His father worked at a paper factory there. Does your mother know of a man named Tad Wojcik. He was my grandfathers friend. They went through everything together and both ended up in Clitheroe Barracks after the war. Tad lived in South Wales after he married. When your fathers book came out i think it was Tad that sent it. I took it to Poland after he died. Maybe I will find the missing pieces of the jigsaw one day.
                              >

                              > Carol UK
                              >
                              > Carol C H C
                              > Sent from my iPad
                              >
                              > On 7 Mar 2013, at 00:10, "Elzunia/Elizabeth Gradosielska/Maczka" <elzunia@...> wrote:
                              >
                              > > Did your grandfather live in Wilno Carol?
                              > > I wonder if your grandfather knew my dad from days before the war then? they were the same age, though my dad moved to Wilno when he was around 11.
                              > > Was Antoni in the scouts? my dad was in the sea scouts, Blekitna Jedynka and was at many camps during the years before the war.
                              > > Then he was at cadet school in Modlin and Warsaw.
                              > > Seeing as they were both at the same camp SevZhelDorLag and then both ended up in the sappers of 5KDP, they must have made the same journey from the camp to Tatishchevo.
                              > >
                              > > pozdrowienia
                              > > Elzunia Gradosielska Olsson
                              > > Alingsås, Sweden
                              > > Names: Maczka. Gradosielski.
                              > > Kresy: Osada Krechowiecka. Wilno.
                              > > Siberia: Monastyriok. Siewzeldorlag, Komi.
                              > > Army: Pestki 316 Transport. Sappers 5KDP.
                              > >
                              > > --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, Carol Clements wrote:
                              > > >

                              > > > My grandfather was in the camp SevZhelDorLag his name is Antoni Mieldun, born 1916. Father Jozef Mieldun.
                              > > > Please can you see if you can find him on your list.
                              > > > Many thanks
                              > > >
                              > > > Carol UK
                              > > > Antoni Mieldun
                              > > > Born Wilno 1916
                              > > > Polish Soldier
                              > > > Captured 1939 and sent to Siberia.
                              > > > Amnesty
                              > > > Joined Anders Army
                              > > > Palestine
                              > > > Italy Monte Cassino
                              > > >
                              > > > Carol C H C
                              > > > Sent from my iPad

                            • Carol Clements
                              Message 15 of 22 , Mar 7, 2013
                                Yes someone found him for me on Karta. He was under the surname of Meldun not Mieldun.
                                Granddad and Tad were in the barracks in a little town in Lancashire. They could not speak English. I do not know about the Russian lists or who Antoni is.
                                I have papers from Karta but I will have to email them so someone can translate for me. I hope to get around to scanning them at the weekend
                                CarolUK

                                Carol C H C
                                Sent from my iPad

                                Message 16 of 22 , Mar 7, 2013
                                  --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, Stanislaw Zwierzynski <zwierzinski1957@...> wrote:

                                  > Stephen,
                                  >
                                  > Alexander was born in 1928? He was osadnik? His father (your grand) was Feliks?
                                  >
                                  > Stan from M.
                                  >
                                  > Cant be my dad Stan.He was born in 1912 in Uhrusk Chelm Sobibor to Marcin and Aneila Stelmaszuk nee Kowalczuk on 8/04/1912.
                                  > ________________________________

                                • Tony Konieczny
                                  Message 17 of 22 , Mar 8, 2013
                                    Dear All
                                    It is so rare to see SevZelDorLag in group correspondence that I felt compelled to respond with one jigsaw piece.
                                    My father, Stanislaw Konieczny, survived this camp to make it to England, where he served in the RAF in Sealand, Cheshire. He never spoke about it.
                                    I do know that he did have an officer friend called Olek, whom he saved from Katyn by dressing him as a private. Not much else.
                                    I would .ike to know how anyone could survive that camp.
                                    He was born in 1909 and lived in a small village Nowe Siolo, near Tarnopol, close by the old Ukranian border.
                                    If this  helps research of others, this will be good.

                                    Regards
                                    Tony Konieczny

> [...]

                                    > > Was Antoni in the scouts? my dad was in the sea scouts, Blekitna Jedynka and was at many camps during the years before the war.
                                    > > Then he was at cadet school in Modlin and Warsaw.
                                    > > Seeing as they were both at the same camp SevZhelDorLag and then both ended up in the sappers of 5KDP, they must have made the same journey from the camp to Tatishchevo.
                                    > >
                                    > > pozdrowienia
                                    > > Elzunia Gradosielska Olsson
                                    > > Alingsås, Sweden
                                    > > Names: Maczka. Gradosielski.
                                    > > Kresy: Osada Krechowiecka. Wilno.
                                    > > Siberia: Monastyriok. Siewzeldorlag, Komi.
                                    > > Army: Pestki 316 Transport. Sappers 5KDP.
                                    > >
                                    > > --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, Carol Clements wrote:
                                    > > >

                                    > > > My grandfather was in the camp SevZhelDorLag his name is Antoni Mieldun, born 1916. Father Jozef Mieldun.
                                    > > > Please can you see if you can find him on your list.

                                  • Carol Hornby Clements
                                    Message 18 of 22 , Mar 8, 2013

                                      I hope more members will chip in with information. I am trying to learn all I can.
                                      CarolUK

                                    • Lenarda Szymczak
                                      Message 19 of 22 , Mar 8, 2013

                                        Tony, thank you and yes it does assist others, because sometimes the smallest of fragments, is the key to making sense of the jig saw.

                                        Warmest regards,

                                        Lenarda, Australia

> [...]

                                        > > Was Antoni in the scouts? my dad was in the sea scouts, Blekitna Jedynka and was at many camps during the years before the war.
                                        > > Then he was at cadet school in Modlin and Warsaw.
                                        > > Seeing as they were both at the same camp SevZhelDorLag and then both ended up in the sappers of 5KDP, they must have made the same journey from the camp to Tatishchevo.
                                        > >
                                        > > pozdrowienia
                                        > > Elzunia Gradosielska Olsson
                                        > > Alingsås, Sweden
                                        > > Names: Maczka. Gradosielski.
                                        > > Kresy: Osada Krechowiecka. Wilno.
                                        > > Siberia: Monastyriok. Siewzeldorlag, Komi.
                                        > > Army: Pestki 316 Transport. Sappers 5KDP.
                                        > >
                                        > > --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, Carol Clements wrote:
                                        > > >

                                        > > > My grandfather was in the camp SevZhelDorLag his name is Antoni Mieldun, born 1916. Father Jozef Mieldun.
                                        > > > Please can you see if you can find him on your list.

                                      • Carol Clements
                                        Message 20 of 22 , Mar 9, 2013
                                          I wonder where your father got the photos?
                                          I guess my grandfather would not be able to attend those gatherings with living in such a small town in Lancashire. There seemed to be a lot of Poles that lived there. I remember being taken to various Polish clubs as a child. When he died those that were left attended his funeral.
                                          It is only during the last couple of years that I thought about trying to find some information. After my mother died I had a few photos and some religious pictures he carried around throughout the war years and the small amount of information she told me.
                                          I am happy to have found this group and the help of some of the missing pieces.
                                          Thank you all for that.

                                          CarolUK

                                          Message 21 of 22 , Mar 9, 2013
                                            It seems that my dad's army photos are at the Sikorski museum so I'm not sure what is there. I've taken home one album (I was in London a couple of weeks ago) but haven't had time to look at it, there are some army photos in it. I would assume that he collected photos from his army buddies to include in the book and then gave them back.
                                            I also have an exercise book he used as a diary from his scout days before the war, handwritten with tiny, tiny photos - so cute.
                                            Elzunia

                                          • Carol Clements
                                            Message 22 of 22 , Mar 9, 2013
                                              How wonderful you have a diary. I must visit the museum this year.
                                              Caroluk

                                              Carol C H C
                                              Sent from my iPad