RE: [www.Kresy-Siberia.org] Anders "Army in Exile" book .. Buzuluk

  • Lenarda Szymczak
    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 26, 2013

      Hania, this is amazing in 1942 all the young people (including my mamusa – Polish born) were taken by Germans as slave workers from the Zhitomirski Oblast, just as the Polish troops were moving past their villages to join Anders Army.

      Lenarda, Australia

      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 27, 2013
        Anders army out of the Soviet Union the success of Churchill and Anders
         From January 20th to February 25th. 1942 all army was in Kirizji and Uzbekistan.
        Zgodnie z ustaleniami podjętymi w Moskwie, w dniach 20 stycznia do 25 lutego 1942 r. cała Armia Andersa przebazowana została do środkowoazjatyckich republik ZSRR, Kirgizji i Uzbekistanu, gdzie wszystkie 6 dywizji rozlokowane zostały w odrębnych obozach szkoleniowych. Głównym ośrodkiem Armii stało się miasto Guzar niedaleko Buchary, a miejscem pobytu sztabu Jangi-Jul pod Taszkentem.

        hania

        I, also, would appreciate some information from "Army in Exile", please. Through my local inter-library loan program, I was able to obtain Anders book for two weeks - not enough time to finish it, and I can't get the book for another four months. I would like to know the date Anders pulled out of Buzuluk and the page number(s) where the information is found. Thanks for the help.

        Anna Franklin (Canada).

      • John Halucha
        Message 3 of 22 , Feb 28, 2013
          Excellent information, Hania. Thanks.
          I have not yet got my hands on An Army in Exile: can you tell us if Anders says much about the 8th Infantry Division from its formation in the Soviet Union to its dissolution in the Middle East? I am particularly interested in recruiting on March 30, 1942 and the date(s) of the Caspian Sea journey to Pahlevi.
          Grateful regards,
          John Halucha
          Sault Ste Marie, Canada

          Message 4 of 22 , Feb 28, 2013
            Will check later  for you...

            hania

            I, also, would appreciate some information from "Army in Exile", please. Through my local inter-library loan program, I was able to obtain Anders book for two weeks - not enough time to finish it, and I can't get the book for another four months. I would like to know the date Anders pulled out of Buzuluk and the page number(s) where the information is found. Thanks for the help. Anna Franklin (Canada).
          • Barbara Milligan
            Message 5 of 22 , Feb 28, 2013
              Hi John,

              UK Abe books has 2 copies at about £50 each. I can lend you my copy but the postage would be not much less than the cost of a copy of your own?

              Best wishes,

              Basia (UK)
              On 28 Feb 2013, at 15:12, John Halucha wrote:

              Excellent information, Hania. Thanks.
              I have not yet got my hands on An Army in Exile: can you tell us if Anders says much about the 8th Infantry Division from its formation in the Soviet Union to its dissolution in the Middle East? I am particularly interested in recruiting on March 30, 1942 and the date(s) of the Caspian Sea journey to Pahlevi.
              Grateful regards,
              John Halucha
              Sault Ste Marie, Canada

              Temperatures dropped to 52 degrees and many men froze in tents and the transports with  those who  arrived to join the army from distant provinces  werenââ≠¬â≥¢t allowed to remain by the Russiansââ≠¬ÂœÃ¢â≠¬Âœ..who sent them further south, and rerouted them along the Amu-Daria for forced labour. Many of those men were never seen again.
              At the beginning of 1942 finally received a decision from soviets for the transfer of troops out.
              He doesnââ≠¬â≥¢t give a specific date on when they left.
              My finds:
              November 22, 1941, Polish Embassy in USSR advised Polish deportees to head south through Novosibirsk , where another Polish outpost was created. With this announcement a large exodus began from remote areas of USSR such as Arkhangelsk , Vorkuta , the Ural mountains, Siberia, Kolyma, Irkutsk , and Akmolinsk.
              From other sources I foundââ≠¬ÂœIn February, 1942,  the army was moved further south, where climatic conditions were better, but contagious diseases were endemic.  Anders headquarters were now in Yangi Yul near Tahskent, where most units were located. Other parts of the army were in Samarkand, Shakhrisabz (Uzbekistan), Margilan (Tajikistan), Frunze, Dzhalal-Abad (Kirgizia), Ashkhabad (Turkmenia), Alma-Ata, Chimkent, Logovoi and Merke (Kazakhstan).

              hania

              Message 6 of 22 , Feb 28, 2013

                Hello John

                I put forward a link to Amazon earlier this week, with about 10 books available, new and used.  Also Stefan mentioned Amazon, saying they had books available. Be careful as some book companies charge exorbitant prices like 80.00 for one book. Also, there is book that can be read online? I copied my post, hope this helps.

                AMAZON http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CEAQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FAn-Army-Exile-Second-Polish%2Fdp%2F0898390435&ei=RywtUbz3LMmLkQX98YDoDg&usg=AFQjCNGJPUyiDLOy2qabEe7KOm3xTZb88g&bvm=bv.42965579,d.dGI&cad=rja

                and

                ABE http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=10&ved=0CHcQFjAJ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.abebooks.co.uk%2Fbook-search%2Ftitle%2Fan-army-in-exile%2Fauthor%2Fanders%2Fsortby%2F3%2Fpage-1%2F&ei=RywtUbz3LMmLkQX98YDoDg&usg=AFQjCNEAYoWtI8xsNDI7eUV8B8UFnaC_ww&bvm=bv.42965579,d.dGI&cad=rja

                And also

                An Army in Exile: The Story of the Second Polish Corps

                Top of Form

                Bottom of Form

                Top of Form

                Bottom of Form

                Rate this book

                An Army in Exile: The Story of the Second Polish Corps

                by W³adys³aw Anders

                5.0 of 5 starshttp://s.gr-assets.com/assets/layout/gr_red_star_active-34f16265e4cd6b571ee500b6acc2e871.pnghttp://s.gr-assets.com/assets/layout/gr_red_star_active-34f16265e4cd6b571ee500b6acc2e871.pnghttp://s.gr-assets.com/assets/layout/gr_red_star_active-34f16265e4cd6b571ee500b6acc2e871.pnghttp://s.gr-assets.com/assets/layout/gr_red_star_active-34f16265e4cd6b571ee500b6acc2e871.png5.00  ·  rating details  ·  5 ratings  ·  2 reviews

                Hardcover, 319 pages

                Published May 30th 1981 by Battery Press (first published 1949)

                http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&cad=rja&ved=0CFYQFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fbooks.google.com%2Fbooks%2Fabout%2FAn_army_in_exile.html%3Fid%3DbPHOAAAAMAAJ&ei=RywtUbz3LMmLkQX98YDoDg&usg=AFQjCNH65EahwQy3Rg3PWKgES0c2z8myOw&bvm=bv.42965579,d.dGI

                regards,

                Lenarda, Australia

                I, also, would appreciate some information from "Army in Exile", please. Through my local inter-library loan program, I was able to obtain Anders book for two weeks - not enough time to finish it, and I can't get the book for another four months. I would like to know the date Anders pulled out of Buzuluk and the page number(s) where the information is found. Thanks for the help.

                Anna Franklin (Canada).

              • annafranklin85
                Message 7 of 22 , Feb 28, 2013
                  To Ewa, Hania, Lenarda and Stefan,

                  A big thank-you for your information and help. I really appreciate it.

                  Cheers,
                  Anna (Canada).

                  --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, Anne Kaczanowski <kazameena@...> wrote:

                  > Anders army out of the Soviet Union the
                  > success of Churchill and Anders
                  >  From January 20th to February 25th. 1942 all army was in Kirizji and Uzbekistan.
                  > Zgodnie z ustaleniami podjętymi w Moskwie, w dniach 20 stycznia do 25 lutego 1942 r. cała Armia Andersa przebazowana została do środkowoazjatyckich republik
                  > ZSRR, Kirgizji i Uzbekistanu, gdzie wszystkie 6 dywizji rozlokowane zostały w
                  > odrębnych obozach szkoleniowych. Głównym ośrodkiem Armii stało się miasto Guzar
                  > niedaleko Buchary, a miejscem pobytu sztabu Jangi-Jul pod Taszkentem.
                  >  http://www.tadeusz.binek.pl/6f3.htm
                  >
                  > hania
                  >

                  > ________________________________

                • Lenarda Szymczak
                  Message 8 of 22 , Feb 28, 2013

                    Most welcome, this is what group does, this is why we exist.

                    Lenarda, Australia

                    --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, Anne Kaczanowski wrote:

                    > Anders army out of the Soviet Union the
                    > success of Churchill and Anders
                    >  From January 20th to February 25th. 1942 all army was in Kirizji and Uzbekistan.
                    > Zgodnie z ustaleniami podjętymi w Moskwie, w dniach 20 stycznia do 25 lutego 1942 r. cała Armia Andersa przebazowana została do środkowoazjatyckich republik
                    > ZSRR, Kirgizji i Uzbekistanu, gdzie wszystkie 6 dywizji rozlokowane zostały w
                    > odrębnych obozach szkoleniowych. Głównym ośrodkiem Armii stało się miasto Guzar
                    > niedaleko Buchary, a miejscem pobytu sztabu Jangi-Jul pod Taszkentem.
                    >  http://www.tadeusz.binek.pl/6f3.htm
                    >
                    > hania
                    >

                    > ________________________________

                  • Carol Clements
                    Message 9 of 22 , Mar 1, 2013
                      Which one can be read online please
                      Carol UK

                      Carol C H C
                      Sent from my iPad

                      On 28 Feb 2013, at 20:13, "Lenarda Szymczak" <szymczak01@...> wrote:

[...]

                      <image001.png>

                      Top of Form

                      Bottom of Form

                      Top of Form

                      Bottom of Form

                      Rate this book

                      An Army in Exile: The Story of the Second Polish Corps

                      by W³adys³aw Anders

                      <image002.png><image002.png><image002.png><image002.png><image002.png>5.00  Â·  rating details  Â·  5 ratings  Â·  2 reviews

                      Message 10 of 22 , Mar 1, 2013
                        That's very kind, Hania. Thank you.
                        Thank you also Basia for the sweet notion of lending me your copy - but yes, I will be getting my own copy whose margins I can gently mark in light pencil for ease of taking notes.
                        And Lenarda, for repeating your post with the links. Like Carol, I would love it if you can answer your own question about whether it can be read online in the meantime.
                        Another example of what makes this forum exquisite as Lenarda often reminds us - in deeds as well as words.
                        John Halucha
                        Sault Ste Marie, Canada

                        Message 11 of 22 , Mar 1, 2013

                          Carol

                          The first two are Amazon and ABE books to be purchased and prices.

                          The last one is a Google Site, but I am not familiar with how this works. From a guess you put arrow on –“Go To Google Play Now” (Click) and this takes you into where you sign in and then you can download and read books through your ANDROID?

                          But also on the topic of the Google site, I was amazed of how many other books there are on RELATED TOPICS, such as Katyn and many others that I have not heard of with the  history of Eastern Borderlands, even from Group members, truly worth a look.

                          Warmest wishes

                          Lenarda, Australia

                          Message 12 of 22 , Mar 1, 2013

                            John for such flattery, I should buy you a Vodka.

                            I truly admire this KS Group and it is a pleasure to assist where I can, don’t forget I get into trouble too, when I put forward something I am not sure of, but this is all EDUCATION AND RESEARCH.  This is why we Exist as GROUP.

                             Subject of Reading online, from what I can guess it is a Google Function, which I am not familiar with, but I have already posted an answer.  But in the process of looking again, found many other related topic books, please have a look.

                            Warmest wishes

                            Lenarda, Australia

                            Message 13 of 22 , Mar 1, 2013
                              The link has some strange characters and will not work for me. Please can you check it, i am interested to read this
                              Carol uk

                              Carol C H C
                              Sent from my iPad

[...]

                              <image002.png><image002.png><image002.png><image002.png><image002.png>5.00  Ã‚·  rating details  Ã‚·  5 ratings  Ã‚·  2 reviews

                              Message 14 of 22 , Mar 1, 2013

                                Carol,

                                Go inside the link below and once inside look for left margin, beside book displayed, you click on any of these symbols or writing and it will take you to SIGN IN, after this you will need to join, please read directions below

                                An Army in Exile: The Story of the Second Polish Corps

                                (You need to enter this link first) -    http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&cad=rja&ved=0CFYQFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fbooks.google.com%2Fbooks%2Fabout%2FAn_army_in_exile.html%3Fid%3DbPHOAAAAMAAJ&ei=RywtUbz3LMmLkQX98YDoDg&usg=AFQjCNH65EahwQy3Rg3PWKgES0c2z8myOw&bvm=bv.42965579,d.dGI

                                  (click on above link to get you in – then look for – Go To Google Play Now –  purple colour - you will see symbols above, click on computer screen symbol or any other symbol)

                                Then you will need to open Google account, which I did, at no cost unless I purchase a read on-line book or find one for FREE.  this is a good thing as they have books for sale, on line to read, for little cost or free if you can understand how to navigate the site,  but after opening my account and trying to navigate, got completely lost and couldn’t even find a doorknob, to open anything, even to check the cost.  It seems, at my guess, that if you cannot open, they do not hold book for reading but will direct you to store for purchase.

                                Realistically, with computer crashes etc. nothing replaces the hard copy, held in hand and by purchasing from Amazon, available at discount when going through Kresy-Siberia Group, which contributes to the running costs of Kresy-Siberia Group.

                                Sorry I cannot help further, perhaps someone more knowledgeable can assist as my IT skills are not great.

                                Regards,

                                Lenarda, Australia

                                Message 15 of 22 , Mar 1, 2013
                                  This book doesn't seem to be available on Google Play, the only information on this site is the name of the book, the author, date of publication and a couple of short reviews.

                                  Frances

                                  --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, "Lenarda Szymczak" <szymczak01@...> wrote:

                                  > Carol,
                                  >
                                  > Go inside the link below and once inside look for left margin, beside book displayed, you click on any of these symbols or writing and it will take you to SIGN IN, after this you will need to join, please read directions below.
                                  >

                                  > An Army in Exile: The Story of the Second Polish Corps
                                  >
                                  > (You need to enter this link first) - <http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&cad=rja&ved=0CFYQFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fbooks.google.com%2Fbooks%2Fabout%2FAn_army_in_exile.html%3Fid%3DbPHOAAAAMAAJ&ei=RywtUbz3LMmLkQX98YDoDg&usg=AFQjCNH65EahwQy3Rg3PWKgES0c2z8myOw&bvm=bv.42965579,d.dGI> http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&cad=rja&ved=0CFYQFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fbooks.google.com%2Fbooks%2Fabout%2FAn_army_in_exile.html%3Fid%3DbPHOAAAAMAAJ&ei=RywtUbz3LMmLkQX98YDoDg&usg=AFQjCNH65EahwQy3Rg3PWKgES0c2z8myOw&bvm=bv.42965579,d.dGI â€"
                                  >
                                  > (click on above link to get you in â€" then look for â€" Go To Google Play Now â€" purple colour - you will see symbols above, click on computer screen symbol or any other symbol)
                                  >

                                  > Then you will need to open Google account, which I did, at no cost unless I purchase a read on-line book or find one for FREE. this is a good thing as they have books for sale, on line to read, for little cost or free if you can understand how to navigate the site, but after opening my account and trying to navigate, got completely lost and couldn’t even find a doorknob, to open anything, even to check the cost. It seems, at my guess, that if you cannot open, they do not hold book for reading but will direct you to store for purchase.
                                  >

                                  > Realistically, with computer crashes etc. nothing replaces the hard copy, held in hand and by purchasing from Amazon, available at discount when going through Kresy-Siberia Group, which contributes to the running costs of Kresy-Siberia Group.
                                  >

                                  > Sorry I cannot help further, perhaps someone more knowledgeable can assist as my IT skills are not great.
                                  >
                                  > Regards,
                                  >
                                  > Lenarda, Australia

                                • Lenarda Szymczak
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Mar 1, 2013

                                    Frances, thank you, I did think this, but needed someone with more IT skills to verify it.

                                    Thanks again,

                                    Lenarda, Australia

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Mar 2, 2013
                                        Oh well it was worth trying. I will see if the library has it.
                                        Carol UK

                                        Carol C H C
                                        Sent from my iPad