Re: Anders "Army in Exile" book

  • Eva Dryanski
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 26, 2013
      Dear Group,
      "March 24, 1944 Col. Kazimierz Wisniowski, the Chief of Staff of the 2nd Corps took part in the briefing and he later recalled that Gen. Leese told General Anders:  "unless you, Sir, will not want to undertake the task, in which case I will have to look for another corps that will carry out that difficult duty. He then added:  I give you 10 minutes to decide, after which I will ask your answer....Gen. Anders made his examination of conscience aloud:  Monte Cassino is a fortress that many nations have fought for, a fortress known through out the world.  If I refuse, the Corps will be employed in the Liri Valley where the attack will also bring heavy casualties, but spread over longer period of time.[...]  If we capture Monte Cassino,...we will put the Polish case - now so suppressed - at the forefront of the world's issues and will give the Polish government a new asset in defence of our rights.  I think that in the present conditions, for the good of our nation's future and for its subsequent generations, the cost-effect balance [...] is positive."   pp93-94  Zbigniew Wawer  "From Buzuluk to Monte Cassino"  ISBN 978-83-61529-39-2.    Command decisions are never easy!
      Regards,
      Ewa D. - Nevada