RE: [www.Kresy-Siberia.org] Travel to Belarus

  • Virginia Kuzmicki
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 20, 2013

      Hello Tracy

      I travelled to Belarus in September of last year from London but with my sister from Australia .  (My NZ sister could not make it).  We are Scottish.

      We had a wonderful time and the people were as kind as they could be.

      We crossed the border in the wonderful Bialowieza forest, by foot.  The Belarusian guards were brilliant, the Polish guards were a disgrace and had it been the same ones on my return I would have made my thoughts known (back on European soil!!!).

      The border controls are generally trying to prevent cigarettes and fuel being shipped over.  Hire cars get an extraordinary amount of investigation and I would say not worth the trouble.  The roads I travelled on in Belarus were quiet but much better than the Polish roads.

      USD is king currency

      I would say Russian and Polish is useful depending on the age of the people you speak with.  The young do not speak Polish.

      You do need someone to read the grave stones.  For example, my name is Kuzmicki.  Because my Grandparents are in the same grave, the stone reads Jan and Ola Kuzmiccy.  I would not have recognised this as my family name without being told.

      In fact there are many different endings to your name depending on a number of factors and everyone will have a Christened name and the name they used.

      You are probably much more knowledgeable.

      The people, the food and the kindness was extraordinary.

      Like you, I was fortunate enough to find my family and roots only recently, hence my trip.  I am close friends with a priest there now so if you have any questions I can ask him for you.  I have already asked him if he knows your local priest as that can help. You may be Orthodox.  The local Girls (in their 80’s and 90’s) are your best source of knowledge as they will know everyone in the graveyard and the history of your family.  Undoubtedly they will still attend church as it is the mainstay of the community.   Our Girls were overwhelmingly wonderful.

      If you want to have a chat about my experience I am happy to speak with you.  Send me a direct email.

      Good Luck.  Enjoy the vodka!!!

      Virginia

      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 20, 2013

        One more thing, I think you will have to do your visas by post as there is not a Belarusian Embassy in NZ or Australia so don’t leave it too late to get you passport back.

        Virginia

        London

[...]

        Auckland , New Zealand

      • tracey.ashworth@xtra.co.nz
        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 28, 2013
          Antoni,

          Thank you, could anyone assist me please by providing me with the contact details for the Lida Roots group?

          Regards,

          Tracey Ashworth
          Auckland, New Zealand