Re: Ankieta of my dziadek Stanislaw Sys aboout his time in prison in USSR

  • Elzunia/Elizabeth Gradosielska/Maczka
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 17, 2013
      My father was also "released, transported to Ju¿a, Iwanowska, Rosja" in Aug 1941.
      We do have a file for Hoover statements, so if you Rysio, or anyone else, would like to add such send them to me and I'll upload them.

      These are important documents because they were written directly after deportation, not written from memory years later as many other accounts.

      pozdrowienia
      Elzunia
      elzunia(at)alimail.net

      --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, "ryszardsys" <ryszardsys@...> wrote:

      > I have managed to finally translate the whole "ankieta" written by my dziadek, Stanislaw Sys which he wrote in about 1943. It was on a thin sheet of paper where the writing from the other side had come through, seemingly written in Polish using a mix of Polish and Belarussian words. I thank my friend (and very distant cousin) Mateusz Koziol for his assistance. Just a bit of my history, I'd like to share:
      >

      > Sys, Stanislaw, Platoon Commander,
      >
      > Attached to the 16th Bauon Strzelcow, 1st Company, Born in 1898
      >
      > By trade, a Farmer, Place of Birth (town) Soly ,County Oszmiana, Wojewodstwo Wilenskie
      >
      > In the USSR, I found myself in the following circumstances. I was interned in Lithuania from the day of the 19th of September 1939 until the 10th of July 1940.
      >
      > I was taken from the camp in Lithuania by the NKVD and exchanged to/ traded into a camp in Juchonowie USSR where I stayed until 5th of June 1941. We were freed on the 5th of June 1941 and I was exchanged with others to the Kolla Peninsula where I was stayed until the 12th of July 1941. From there I was taken to the Lagry at Juzny(?) where I joined the Polish Army on the 27th of August 1941.
      >
      > Previously I was sentenced to 10 years hard labour on the Kolla Peninsula. We worked for 12 hours daily building an airport. In general the food was poor, about 80 grams of bread for dinner and twice in a 24 hour period, fatback without fat (basically it looks like it was some pig skin?) with fish. We were treated badly. Medical help and medicine was non existent. There were accidents and those people would be taken to a medic outside but only under escort.
      >
      > I remember this, that at one time being ill from a lack of food at the work place I was unable to work, but a soviet officer approached me and forced me to work. I do not know or remember his name. I told him I could not work due to a lack of food and health. He scolded me saying we will eat rocks and be forced to work, but I reminded him that I was weak and that we are underfed. He ordered me to stand aside and warned me that 40 metres away was a machine gun and if I did not return to work I would be shot. I was then taken to a prison cell which had a few other people where I was not allowed to eat but for 3 days given 1 litre of hot water.
      >
      > My family we taken to Russia on the 10th February 1940:
      > Wife Irena (1908)
      > Son Czeslaw (1928)
      > Son Edward (1932)
      > Daughter Teresa (1935)
      > I understand they are now in Africa.
      >
      > Sys (plutonowy)

    • Helen Bitner
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 17, 2013
        On 17 Feb 2013, at 20:28, "Lenarda Szymczak" <szymczak01@...> wrote:

        Thank you for sharing your translation of this very precious document  It was heart -breaking to read and  to think of the horrors and cruelty endured.
        Thank you again Rys.
        Kind regards
        Helen Bitner
        Colchester UK
      • ryszardsys
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 18, 2013
          Lenarda,

          The dates of the family members are all wrong! I have about 12 documents signed by my dziadek and in each, he has the birth dates incorrect. To top it all, I only found out a couple of months ago that my father has been celebrating not only the wrong year, but the wrong day and the wrong month!

          It must be genetic and explains why I forget my wife's birthday!!!!!

          On a serious side, I had assumed he was simply "imprisoned" in some way. I hadn't realised he was given 10 years hard labour and the tiny amount of food he was given.

          Perhaps someone would know, but on his release, he sent a telegram to my father saying "I send you 500 roubles for the journey" - were they given some money by the Soviets to get their families out?

          Rys
          UK

          --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, "Lenarda Szymczak" <szymczak01@...> wrote:

          > Rys, this is great translation, so good you share with group, in the
          > honesty of this ankieta, we see the true horror and also you have year of
          > birth of other members of family. We are so lucky to be born in free
          > country and that our parent survived to make this journey.
          >
          > Warmest regards,
          >
          > Lenarda, Australia

        • Lenarda Szymczak
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 18, 2013

            Rys, always with the joke, so how do you find out what birth date is correct, the local church?

            I don’t know about assistance from Soviets, but did read that in some camps, work Gulags, they did pay small wage and I do know that my Grandfather was sold to NKVD for 30 Roubles, which was paid to the informant of the lie.

            Perhaps the other members of the group would know more on this topic?

            Regards,

            Lenarda, Australia

            --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, "Lenarda Szymczak" wrote:

            > Rys, this is great translation, so good you share with group, in the
            > honesty of this ankieta, we see the true horror and also you have year of
            > birth of other members of family. We are so lucky to be born in free
            > country and that our parent survived to make this journey.
            >
            > Warmest regards,
            >
            > Lenarda, Australia

          • ryszardsys
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 18, 2013
              Lenarda,

              My dad always had his birth date as 15th January 1933, but he always said that his mum couldn't remember exactly because she made him one year younger in Siberia, he thinks, to get a milk ration. I actually think that happened in Tehran to be honest. She also said she was mixed up with the dates with his sister, my aunt, who got left behind.

              I had transcribed the residents of wojewodstwo wilenskie and offered it to the Oszmianszczyzna website. He was delighted and said "if there is anything I can do to help...." Well, I told him that I had searched for my dad's birth metrics for some 15 years and got nowhere. Within 5 minutes, he'd phoned the one place I didn't think would have anything like that with the full details of 1st February 1932, god-parents, the lot! And yes, my babcia did mix up the DAY between the two of them, but also got the wrong month!

              It is worth noting, for anyone else who has written to the archives in places like Grodno, that until the metrical books are 100 years old, they stay at the local "registry" office. Then, although your required records may be 100 years old, unless ALL the records in that book are also 100 years old, they don't go to the archives and the archives will simply tell you that the records for that church are "lost". In my case, my dad's records are in Smorgon City council offices and although he was born in 1932, the books will stay there until 2056. Grodno had told me that the books were probably destroyed. I even rang the priest in Smogonie Catholic Church and he said that he thought they were smuggled out to Lithuania in the war and would be in Vilnius. Vilnius archives told me that whilst that did happen in the war, the books were repatriated to the correct offices after the proper borders were established.

              As for my dziadek's money he sent to my babcia to get out of Siberia - I can only presume that once freed, and when they agreed to "free" his family, they must have given him money so they could travel. Certainly my dad remembers (aged 9) that they were given travel documents and other papers which permitted them to travel and food, but given everyone was short of food, they hardly got a thing. He does remember a Russian soldier taking pity on them at a railway station and got them some food.

              In another interesting development, the office of the President of Poland have on thursday last week, sent me a duplicate of my dziadek's "virtuti militari" silver cross of valour, together with all relevant paperwork. I await its arrival as does my dad. I'm not sure what happened to the original but they have agreed (after me sending them their own paperwork as proof of who he was) to the duplicate.

              My son (aged 12), has chosen history for next years studies and they have a project to complete about "how your family was affected by World War 2" - its from a Hitler perspective, but I talked to his teacher about "from the Stalin perspective" and what happened to my family and this medal and all my researching will form part of my son's project work - even my son's history teacher wasn't aware of what had happened to us.

            • Lenarda Szymczak
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 18, 2013

                Rys, there is so much information written in your words that will assist other members and I am certain that they will be glued to your words, as I am, with the paths shown that we have to travel to research and get correct records. Thank you so much for all this as every personal story is learning and a path for others in the KS Group.

                From the horrors of our own history, we can and do assist other members, still searching and give them hope and healing, letting them know, that they are not alone.

                Also about the teacher in your son’s school, this is wonderful news, as so many people do not know and slowly they are opening their eyes and will only do this through research by groups such as us and the history being brought to their attention.

                Your son will be the first grain of sand for his school and in years to come, it will be on the curriculum to learn about how Stalin affected families before, during and after the war.  my own daughter did Stalin, Eastern Borderlands, in year 12, under the heading of Communism with her adding a personal touch of her own family of her Grandmother Helena, from Zhitomierz Oblast and Kolkhoz under Soviets 1921 onwards and German Slave Worker 1942 and her Grandfather Jozef, from Warsaw, 8th Pulk Kawaleria Kanonier, captured by Germans during the 1st defence of Poland in 1939.

                Warmest regards,

                Lenarda, Sydney, Australia

[...]

                ,_._,___

              • ryszardsys
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 18, 2013
                  Lenarda,

                  My son's curriculum includes WW2, but very focused on Nazi Germany. They have to write a project of how the war affected their family but it very much a "was your granddad evacuated in the war".

                  When I told his History teacher of the ethnic cleansing done to my family along with "one or two others", the teacher was very interested.

                  Of course he'd heard of Katyn but wasn't aware of the mass deportation of people into Siberia and how they were eventually freed. So it will be an interesting and well documented history.

                  On the question of record searches. I've been nagged for many years by my Belarussian cousins to come to them and do the research locally. That's all well and good if you know where you are looking and what you are looking for. Had I gone even only a year ago, I would have searched in the wrong villages, gone to the wrong archives and come back none the wiser thinking "ah well the records must have been destroyed".

                  The fact is that everything is out there, but it isn't organised logically. Not only did borders of countries change, but the old wojowodships changed. So, as in my case, I would have gone to Oszmiana to find records, to find there is nothing there. I'd have gone to the church in Daukszyszki to look for my great granddad to find he's not buried there. And now I understand how the system works there, I am a little more prepared.

                • ryszardsys
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 19, 2013
                    Elzunia,

                    What is your e-mail address and I'll send you the scans of the ankieta's (I can't find a way to do it with "send email" option.

                    Rys
                    UK

                    --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, "Elzunia/Elizabeth Gradosielska/Maczka" <elzunia@...> wrote:

> [...]
                    > >
                    > > I remember this, that at one time being ill from a lack of food at the work place I was unable to work, but a soviet officer approached me and forced me to work. I do not know or remember his name. I told him I could not work due to a lack of food and health. He scolded me saying we will eat rocks and be forced to work, but I reminded him that I was weak and that we are underfed. He ordered me to stand aside and warned me that 40 metres away was a machine gun and if I did not return to work I would be shot. I was then taken to a prison cell which had a few other people where I was not allowed to eat but for 3 days given 1 litre of hot water.
                    > >
                    > > My family we taken to Russia on the 10th February 1940:

                  • Lenarda Szymczak
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 19, 2013

                      Rys, your journey is educating us all.

                      Again thank you for sharing this knowledge.

                      Warmest regards,

                      Lenarda, Australia