[www.Kresy-Siberia.org] Re: "Forgotten Heroes"

  • Frances
    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 16, 2013
      Yes, this film was harrowing - as is the story of Emil Fieldorf (General Nil) - played in the film by Olgierd Lukaszewicz. General Fieldorf was the Deputy Commander-in-Chief of Armia Krajowa after the Warsaw Uprising.

      He was arrested by the NKVD in 1945 and banished to a labour camp in Siberia, eventually being allowed to return to post-war Poland under a sham 'amnesty'. However he was then arrested by the communists in Poland, tortured and executed by the Beirut government in 1953 - for alleged actions against 'soviet partisans' while in AK. The court which sentenced him was said to be a 'kangaroo court'

      He was eventually posthumously awarded the Order of the White Eagle by Lech Kaczynski in 2006, coincidentally at the same ceremony where my father was also recognised with a posthumous award from President Kaczynski.

      Frances

      --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, Krystyna Mew <krystynamew@...> wrote:

      > There is a DVD called 'General Nil' which was recommended to me.  I've not been brave enough to watch it yet as it is supposed to be pretty harrowing. It is in Polish with English subtitles. Available on amazon.co.uk
      >
      > Krystyna Mew
      > France
      >

      > >________________________________

    • Barbara Milligan
      Message 2 of 23 , Feb 16, 2013
        I would like to nominate Jan Kazimierski who was the first Polish airman to be airlifted into Warsaw.

        Antoni, do please fill this out. The book is in Oxford and I have just arrived in Scotland.

        Basia (UK)
        On 16 Feb 2013, at 05:39, Frances wrote:

        Hello Anna

        One group of Forgotten Heroes are those brave men in Polish Special Duties Squadron 1586 who flew supplies into Warsaw during the Warsaw Uprising from August 1 1944. After a long journey at night from Brindisi, Italy, they had to fly at heights of only 300 meters over Warsaw to drop their supplies, risking attack by Nazis from ground and air.
        Many attacks occurred along the route from Brindisi by the German night fighters - and and many crews were shot down, some lucky enough to escape. Others were either incarcerated by the Nazis or tragically lost their lives.

        In my father's crew of seven there were four men who had been arrested/deported to USSR, my own father included. After being released from labour camps under 'amnesty' they joined the Polish Air Force to fight for their homeland. Tragically they were shot down on their fifth mission to Warsaw - none of the crew survived.

        Frances

        --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, "annapacewicz" wrote:

        > Dear group, please can you rack your brains and help me think of all the possible "Forgotten Heroes" from Poland in WW2 but with a link to Kresy.
        >
        > Examples from Western Poland would be Jan Karksi, Captain Pilecki, Irene Sandler.
        >
        > From a Kresy angle I can think of General Anders (not forgotten to us but probably still largely unknown in the West); Wojtek the Bear; General Maczek; General Sosabowski (I am including him because he was a Commander in the Polish Armed Forces in Exile). I would like to know of any AK/Partisan "heroes" from Kresy, any Polish citizens who helped to save Jewish people during the German occupation of Kresy etc Also Polish Airforce "Aces" from the Battle of Britain.
        >
        > Many thanks
        >
        > Kind regards
        > Anna Pacewicz
        > Sydney

      • Frances
        Message 3 of 23 , Feb 16, 2013
          Those men and women who were dropped into enemy-occupied territory were incredibly brave - especially as some of them, such as Jan Kazimierski had suffered in USSR.
          They were trained by SOE and risked their lives by being dropped under cover of darkness to assist and support members of AK.

          For new members who aren't aware of Cichociemni - as they are known in Polish, it's worth searching in our message bank for further information as there have been previous posts from members, including Antoni Kazimierski who is related to Jan.

          There are at least two books published about this topic, with the names of these heroes; also much information on the web.

          Frances

          .--- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, Barbara Milligan <bwbm5@...> wrote:

          > I would like to nominate Jan Kazimierski who was the first Polish airman to be airlifted into Warsaw.
          >
          > Antoni, do please fill this out. The book is in Oxford and I have just arrived in Scotland.
          >
          > Basia (UK)
          > On 16 Feb 2013, at 05:39, Frances wrote:
          >

          > > Hello Anna
          > >
          > > One group of Forgotten Heroes are those brave men in Polish Special Duties Squadron 1586 who flew supplies into Warsaw during the Warsaw Uprising from August 1 1944. After a long journey at night from Brindisi, Italy, they had to fly at heights of only 300 meters over Warsaw to drop their supplies, risking attack by Nazis from ground and air.
          > > Many attacks occurred along the route from Brindisi by the German night fighters - and and many crews were shot down, some lucky enough to escape. Others were either incarcerated by the Nazis or tragically lost their lives.
          > >
          > > In my father's crew of seven there were four men who had been arrested/deported to USSR, my own father included. After being released from labour camps under 'amnesty' they joined the Polish Air Force to fight for their homeland. Tragically they were shot down on their fifth mission to Warsaw - none of the crew survived.
          > >
          > > Frances
          > >
          > > --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, "annapacewicz" wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Dear group, please can you rack your brains and help me think of all the possible "Forgotten Heroes" from Poland in WW2 but with a link to Kresy.
          > > >
          > > > Examples from Western Poland would be Jan Karksi, Captain Pilecki, Irene Sandler.
          > > >
          > > > From a Kresy angle I can think of General Anders (not forgotten to us but probably still largely unknown in the West); Wojtek the Bear; General Maczek; General Sosabowski (I am including him because he was a Commander in the Polish Armed Forces in Exile). I would like to know of any AK/Partisan "heroes" from Kresy, any Polish citizens who helped to save Jewish people during the German occupation of Kresy etc Also Polish Airforce "Aces" from the Battle of Britain.
          > > >
          > > > Many thanks
          > > >
          > > > Kind regards
          > > > Anna Pacewicz
          > > > Sydney

        • STEPHEN STELMASZUK
          Message 4 of 23 , Feb 17, 2013
            Google 303 sqaudron you will find plenty heroes.

            Dear group, please can you rack your brains and help me think of all the possible "Forgotten Heroes" from Poland in WW2 but with a link to Kresy.

            Examples from Western Poland would be Jan Karksi, Captain Pilecki, Irene Sandler.

            From a Kresy angle I can think of General Anders (not forgotten to us but probably still largely unknown in the West); Wojtek the Bear; General Maczek; General Sosabowski (I am including him because he was a Commander in the Polish Armed Forces in Exile). I would like to know of any AK/Partisan "heroes" from Kresy, any Polish citizens who helped to save Jewish people during the German occupation of Kresy etc Also Polish Airforce "Aces" from the Battle of Britain.

            Many thanks

            Kind regards
            Anna Pacewicz
            Sydney

          • Barbara Milligan
            Message 5 of 23 , Feb 17, 2013
              Frances,  Jan Kazimierski was Antoni's brother.
              Basia (UK)

              .--- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, Barbara Milligan wrote:

              > I would like to nominate Jan Kazimierski who was the first Polish airman to be airlifted into Warsaw.
              >
              > Antoni, do please fill this out. The book is in Oxford and I have just arrived in Scotland.
              >
              > Basia (UK)
              > On 16 Feb 2013, at 05:39, Frances wrote:
              >

              > > Hello Anna
              > >
              > > One group of Forgotten Heroes are those brave men in Polish Special Duties Squadron 1586 who flew supplies into Warsaw during the Warsaw Uprising from August 1 1944. After a long journey at night from Brindisi, Italy, they had to fly at heights of only 300 meters over Warsaw to drop their supplies, risking attack by Nazis from ground and air.
              > > Many attacks occurred along the route from Brindisi by the German night fighters - and and many crews were shot down, some lucky enough to escape. Others were either incarcerated by the Nazis or tragically lost their lives.
              > >
              > > In my father's crew of seven there were four men who had been arrested/deported to USSR, my own father included. After being released from labour camps under 'amnesty' they joined the Polish Air Force to fight for their homeland. Tragically they were shot down on their fifth mission to Warsaw - none of the crew survived.
              > >
              > > Frances
              > >
              > > --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, "annapacewicz" wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Dear group, please can you rack your brains and help me think of all the possible "Forgotten Heroes" from Poland in WW2 but with a link to Kresy.
              > > >
              > > > Examples from Western Poland would be Jan Karksi, Captain Pilecki, Irene Sandler.
              > > >
              > > > From a Kresy angle I can think of General Anders (not forgotten to us but probably still largely unknown in the West); Wojtek the Bear; General Maczek; General Sosabowski (I am including him because he was a Commander in the Polish Armed Forces in Exile). I would like to know of any AK/Partisan "heroes" from Kresy, any Polish citizens who helped to save Jewish people during the German occupation of Kresy etc Also Polish Airforce "Aces" from the Battle of Britain.
              > > >
              > > > Many thanks
              > > >
              > > > Kind regards
              > > > Anna Pacewicz
              > > > Sydney

            • annapacewicz
              Message 6 of 23 , Feb 18, 2013
                Dear all, a million thanks for so many wonderful suggestions (and I hope they keep coming). I'm going to keep a list of all these and follow-up what I can with the hope at some stage, we may be able to do something on this in the museum. When I have written up/researched the list I will post it back to the forum.

                Thank you so much again,
                Best regards
                Anna Pacewicz
                Sydney

                  Message 8 of 23 , Feb 18, 2013
                    Thanks Basia, I wasn't exactly sure of the family relationship.

                    Frances

                    --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, Barbara Milligan <bwbm5@...> wrote:

                    > Frances, Jan Kazimierski was Antoni's brother.
                    > Basia (UK)
                    > On 17 Feb 2013, at 02:37, Frances wrote:
                    >

                    > > Those men and women who were dropped into enemy-occupied territory were incredibly brave - especially as some of them, such as Jan Kazimierski had suffered in USSR.
                    > > They were trained by SOE and risked their lives by being dropped under cover of darkness to assist and support members of AK.
                    > >
                    > > For new members who aren't aware of Cichociemni - as they are known in Polish, it's worth searching in our message bank for further information as there have been previous posts from members, including Antoni Kazimierski who is related to Jan.
                    > >
                    > > There are at least two books published about this topic, with the names of these heroes; also much information on the web.
                    > >
                    > > Frances
                    > >
                    > > .--- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, Barbara Milligan wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > I would like to nominate Jan Kazimierski who was the first Polish airman to be airlifted into Warsaw.
                    > > >
                    > > > Antoni, do please fill this out. The book is in Oxford and I have just arrived in Scotland.
                    > > >
                    > > > Basia (UK)

                  • Gianluca Vernole
                    Message 9 of 23 , Feb 23, 2013
                      Dear  Frances, the pilots of Polish special squadron 1586 are not forget to you, at least here in Puglia. We have found their history, their missions of courage in order to carry the aids to Warsaw, some of they are buried in the Polish military cemetary of Casamassima and have had the pleasure and the honor to tell their history to the boys of the Polish schools of Rome that have come in visit.
                      I would want to ask to you if you can write something to me on your father, what you know, for me is an honor to be able to insert it in my book in preparation and also in my exibition.

                      Gianluca
                      .

                      One group of Forgotten Heroes are those brave men in Polish Special Duties Squadron 1586 who flew supplies into Warsaw during the Warsaw Uprising from August 1 1944. After a long journey at night from Brindisi, Italy, they had to fly at heights of only 300 meters over Warsaw to drop their supplies, risking attack by Nazis from ground and air.
                      Many attacks occurred along the route from Brindisi by the German night fighters - and and many crews were shot down, some lucky enough to escape. Others were either incarcerated by the Nazis or tragically lost their lives.

                      In my father's crew of seven there were four men who had been arrested/deported to USSR, my own father included. After being released from labour camps under 'amnesty' they joined the Polish Air Force to fight for their homeland. Tragically they were shot down on their fifth mission to Warsaw - none of the crew survived.

                      Frances

                      --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, "annapacewicz" wrote:

                      > Dear group, please can you rack your brains and help me think of all the possible "Forgotten Heroes" from Poland in WW2 but with a link to Kresy.
                      >
                      > Examples from Western Poland would be Jan Karksi, Captain Pilecki, Irene Sandler.
                      >
                      > From a Kresy angle I can think of General Anders (not forgotten to us but probably still largely unknown in the West); Wojtek the Bear; General Maczek; General Sosabowski (I am including him because he was a Commander in the Polish Armed Forces in Exile). I would like to know of any AK/Partisan "heroes" from Kresy, any Polish citizens who helped to save Jewish people during the German occupation of Kresy etc Also Polish Airforce "Aces" from the Battle of Britain.
                      >
                      > Many thanks
                      >
                      > Kind regards
                      > Anna Pacewicz
                      > Sydney

                    • Gianluca Vernole
                      Message 10 of 23 , Feb 23, 2013
                        The list of polish pilot buried in polish cemetery in Casamassima :

                        Bohuszawicz Witold

                         Pulczynski Antoni

                        Kukmicki Mieczislaw

                        Taczalski Zdzislaw

                        Blazenski Romuald

                        Drong Jerzy

                        Finder Kazimierz

                        Dunski Zygmunt

                        Olkiewicz Franciszek

                        Paszkiewicz Witold

                        Domaradzki Tadeusz

                        Halik Piotr

                        Magdziarek Stefan

                        Marchwicki Jozef

                        Bucko Julian

                        One group of Forgotten Heroes are those brave men in Polish Special Duties Squadron 1586 who flew supplies into Warsaw during the Warsaw Uprising from August 1 1944. After a long journey at night from Brindisi, Italy, they had to fly at heights of only 300 meters over Warsaw to drop their supplies, risking attack by Nazis from ground and air.
                        Many attacks occurred along the route from Brindisi by the German night fighters - and and many crews were shot down, some lucky enough to escape. Others were either incarcerated by the Nazis or tragically lost their lives.

                        In my father's crew of seven there were four men who had been arrested/deported to USSR, my own father included. After being released from labour camps under 'amnesty' they joined the Polish Air Force to fight for their homeland. Tragically they were shot down on their fifth mission to Warsaw - none of the crew survived.

                        Frances

                        --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, "annapacewicz" wrote:

                        > Dear group, please can you rack your brains and help me think of all the possible "Forgotten Heroes" from Poland in WW2 but with a link to Kresy.
                        >
                        > Examples from Western Poland would be Jan Karksi, Captain Pilecki, Irene Sandler.
                        >
                        > From a Kresy angle I can think of General Anders (not forgotten to us but probably still largely unknown in the West); Wojtek the Bear; General Maczek; General Sosabowski (I am including him because he was a Commander in the Polish Armed Forces in Exile). I would like to know of any AK/Partisan "heroes" from Kresy, any Polish citizens who helped to save Jewish people during the German occupation of Kresy etc Also Polish Airforce "Aces" from the Battle of Britain.
                        >
                        > Many thanks
                        >
                        > Kind regards
                        > Anna Pacewicz
                        > Sydney

                      • szypowska
                        Message 11 of 23 , Feb 23, 2013
                          Thank you Gianluca.

                          Thanks to you, we have the complete list of Polish Forces personnel buried at Cassamassima on the Kresy-Siberia Virtual Museum Wall of Names, including the pilots you mention.  Here is the link:   http://kresy-siberia.org/won/?page_id=13&lang=en&source=75

                          Kind regards,

                          Krystyna Szypowska - Winnipeg, Canada

                          ---------------------------

                          One group of Forgotten Heroes are those brave men in Polish Special Duties Squadron 1586 who flew supplies into Warsaw during the Warsaw Uprising from August 1 1944. After a long journey at night from Brindisi, Italy, they had to fly at heights of only 300 meters over Warsaw to drop their supplies, risking attack by Nazis from ground and air.
                          Many attacks occurred along the route from Brindisi by the German night fighters - and and many crews were shot down, some lucky enough to escape. Others were either incarcerated by the Nazis or tragically lost their lives.

                          In my father's crew of seven there were four men who had been arrested/deported to USSR, my own father included. After being released from labour camps under 'amnesty' they joined the Polish Air Force to fight for their homeland. Tragically they were shot down on their fifth mission to Warsaw - none of the crew survived.

                          Frances

                          --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, "annapacewicz" wrote:

                          > Dear group, please can you rack your brains and help me think of all the possible "Forgotten Heroes" from Poland in WW2 but with a link to Kresy.
                          >
                          > Examples from Western Poland would be Jan Karksi, Captain Pilecki, Irene Sandler.
                          >
                          > From a Kresy angle I can think of General Anders (not forgotten to us but probably still largely unknown in the West); Wojtek the Bear; General Maczek; General Sosabowski (I am including him because he was a Commander in the Polish Armed Forces in Exile). I would like to know of any AK/Partisan "heroes" from Kresy, any Polish citizens who helped to save Jewish people during the German occupation of Kresy etc Also Polish Airforce "Aces" from the Battle of Britain.
                          >
                          > Many thanks
                          >
                          > Kind regards
                          > Anna Pacewicz
                          > Sydney

                        • Frances
                          Message 12 of 23 , Feb 24, 2013
                            Hello Gianluca

                            Many thanks for sending the names of the Polish airmen buried at Cassimassa. As Krystyna has written, these names have been included on the Wall of Names among those of the Polish Forces lost in Italy.

                            Thank you for your interest in my father. I am happy to write about him - please let me know how much to write as there is a great deal to tell. I will write to you privately, also to give you links to others who have written about him, as links I put on the group site usually don't work. (I don't know why).

                            A book was published in 2010 about the loss of my father's aircraft and the mix-up between that and another aircraft - it was 'ODWAGA I NADZIEJA' written by Aleksander Gucwa. However it is available in Polish only but I hope it will be eventually translated into English.

                            By the way I will be in Bari for one day in May (by boat) - is it easy to get to Cassimassa from Bari?

                            With warm regards

                            Frances