RE: [www.Kresy-Siberia.org] "Forgotten Heroes"

  • Lenarda Szymczak
    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 15, 2013

      Anna from Sydney,

      Some Chmielewski (my family name but unknown if relative) names are listed, see quote of article below from Rawa Ruska.

      Only a few Jews from Rawa Ruska survived those who had escaped from the ghetto prior to the “aktions,” local Poles in Rawa Ruska hid some of them, one of them Bazyli Chmielewski who rescued two Jewish families, some nine people, constructed one of the biggest shelters in Rawa Ruska. After the Second World War Bazyli Chmielewski lived in Lublin and was decorated by Yad Vashem, he died in Lublin in 2004, almost 90 years old.The territory of the ghetto in Rawa Ruska was totally destroyed,all of the houses were burned and today stands unsightly Soviet-style blocks of apartments. The Jewish cemetery was demolished too and only a few tombstones can still be seen and no memorials have been built to remember this once vibrant Jewish community.

      Link to article - http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CDIQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.holocaustresearchproject.org%2Fghettos%2Frawaruska.html&ei=jvAeUfGANuH2mAXriYFQ&usg=AFQjCNHZH7IOvtnOiLCL4-dx9mSJx3uSHg&bvm=bv.42553238,d.dGY&cad=rja

      Regards,

      Lenarda, Sydney, Australia

      Message 2 of 23 , Feb 15, 2013

        One man underground organization – Stanislaw Chmielewski – Warsaw  - book -

        Secret City: The Hidden Jews of Warsaw, 1940-1945

        http://books.google.com.au/books?id=zhN3mYSNd2cC&pg=PA48&lpg=PA48&dq=chmielewski+rescue+of+jews&source=bl&ots=47qyRdu5th&sig=nlqya0dXKbowFqod3Xnwb3elFps&hl=en&sa=X&ei=jvAeUfGANuH2mAXriYFQ&ved=0CDoQ6AEwAg regards,

        Lenarda, Australia

        Dear group, please can you rack your brains and help me think of all the possible "Forgotten Heroes" from Poland in WW2 but with a link to Kresy.

        Examples from Western Poland would be Jan Karksi, Captain Pilecki, Irene Sandler.

        From a Kresy angle I can think of General Anders (not forgotten to us but probably still largely unknown in the West); Wojtek the Bear; General Maczek; General Sosabowski (I am including him because he was a Commander in the Polish Armed Forces in Exile). I would like to know of any AK/Partisan "heroes" from Kresy, any Polish citizens who helped to save Jewish people during the German occupation of Kresy etc Also Polish Airforce "Aces" from the Battle of Britain.

        Many thanks

        Kind regards
        Anna Pacewicz
        Sydney

      • Lenarda Szymczak
        Message 3 of 23 , Feb 15, 2013

          Polish Priest recues Torah and gives it to American Jew after WWII

          Quote –

          Richmond, 79, a bearded Boston native who also served in Germany, Austria, Laos, and the Soviet Union before

          retiring from the foreign service, was one of four Jews in his BC graduating class. He explained his gift of the scroll to

          the University by saying, “Catholic Poland sheltered its Jews for more than 500 years, a Catholic priest rescued the

          Torah from a synagogue torched by the Nazis in 1939 and sheltered it for 21 years, and Boston College sheltered me for

          four years and awarded me the degree that enabled me to make a start on a 30-year career.” …

          While the provenance of the Torah—its synagogue and town—are not known, an expert’s evaluation in September

          determined from various stylistic touches and dedicatory inscriptions that the Torah was of Polish origin, that its creator

          was Rabbi Shmuel Shveber, a highly regarded scribe of his time, and that it was completed in 1919.

          Lenarda, Australia

          Dear group, please can you rack your brains and help me think of all the possible "Forgotten Heroes" from Poland in WW2 but with a link to Kresy.

          Examples from Western Poland would be Jan Karksi, Captain Pilecki, Irene Sandler.

          From a Kresy angle I can think of General Anders (not forgotten to us but probably still largely unknown in the West); Wojtek the Bear; General Maczek; General Sosabowski (I am including him because he was a Commander in the Polish Armed Forces in Exile). I would like to know of any AK/Partisan "heroes" from Kresy, any Polish citizens who helped to save Jewish people during the German occupation of Kresy etc Also Polish Airforce "Aces" from the Battle of Britain.

          Many thanks

          Kind regards
          Anna Pacewicz
          Sydney

        • Lenarda Szymczak
          Message 4 of 23 , Feb 15, 2013

            THE POLISH RIGHTEOUS

            60 new Righteous' testimonies

            http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=14&ved=0CEQQFjADOAo&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sprawiedliwi.org.pl%2Fen%2Fcms%2Fnews-archive%2F117%2C60-new-righteous-testimonies%2F&ei=WfgeUcqWH8jUmAWj2IHADw&usg=AFQjCNEF6QkyUpy96yOcvBbl05O3CeewWw&bvm=bv.42553238,d.dGY&cad=rja

            Lenarda, Australia

            Dear group, please can you rack your brains and help me think of all the possible "Forgotten Heroes" from Poland in WW2 but with a link to Kresy.

            Examples from Western Poland would be Jan Karksi, Captain Pilecki, Irene Sandler.

            From a Kresy angle I can think of General Anders (not forgotten to us but probably still largely unknown in the West); Wojtek the Bear; General Maczek; General Sosabowski (I am including him because he was a Commander in the Polish Armed Forces in Exile). I would like to know of any AK/Partisan "heroes" from Kresy, any Polish citizens who helped to save Jewish people during the German occupation of Kresy etc Also Polish Airforce "Aces" from the Battle of Britain.

            Many thanks

            Kind regards
            Anna Pacewicz
            Sydney

          • Lenarda Szymczak
            Message 5 of 23 , Feb 15, 2013

              Self explanatory see reference below – BOOK

              Zaginiona lista sąsiada Schindlera 1 edition

              By Maria S. Młynarska

              Zaginiona lista sąsiada Schindlera

              Maria S. Młynarska

              Buy

              Alibris

              Amazon

              AbeBooks

              Biblio.com

              Book Depository

              Powells

              Lists

              You could add Zaginiona lista sąsiada Schindlera to a list if you log in.

              Well, gosh. There's no description for this book yet. Can you help?

              Subjects

              Righteous Gentiles in the Holocaust, Rescue, World War, 1939-1945, Jews

              People

              Józef Chmielewski (1878-)

              Places

              Poland

              There is only 1 edition record, so we'll show it here...  •  Add edition?

              Zaginiona lista sąsiada Schindlera
              Maria S. Młynarska.

              Published 2004 by M.S. Młynarska in Kraków .
              Written in Polish.

              Edition Notes

              Includes bibliographical references and index.

              Classifications

              Library of Congress

              D804.66.C56 M59 2004

              The Physical Object

              Pagination

              94 p. :

              Number of pages

              94

              ID Numbers

              Open Library

              OL21128006M

              ISBN 10

              8386219971

              History Created December 11, 2009 · 2 revisions

              Regards.

              Lenarda, Australia

              Dear group, please can you rack your brains and help me think of all the possible "Forgotten Heroes" from Poland in WW2 but with a link to Kresy.

              Examples from Western Poland would be Jan Karksi, Captain Pilecki, Irene Sandler.

              From a Kresy angle I can think of General Anders (not forgotten to us but probably still largely unknown in the West); Wojtek the Bear; General Maczek; General Sosabowski (I am including him because he was a Commander in the Polish Armed Forces in Exile). I would like to know of any AK/Partisan "heroes" from Kresy, any Polish citizens who helped to save Jewish people during the German occupation of Kresy etc Also Polish Airforce "Aces" from the Battle of Britain.

              Many thanks

              Kind regards
              Anna Pacewicz
              Sydney

            • Frances
              Message 6 of 23 , Feb 15, 2013
                Hello Anna

                One group of Forgotten Heroes are those brave men in Polish Special Duties Squadron 1586 who flew supplies into Warsaw during the Warsaw Uprising from August 1 1944. After a long journey at night from Brindisi, Italy, they had to fly at heights of only 300 meters over Warsaw to drop their supplies, risking attack by Nazis from ground and air.
                Many attacks occurred along the route from Brindisi by the German night fighters - and and many crews were shot down, some lucky enough to escape. Others were either incarcerated by the Nazis or tragically lost their lives.

                In my father's crew of seven there were four men who had been arrested/deported to USSR, my own father included. After being released from labour camps under 'amnesty' they joined the Polish Air Force to fight for their homeland. Tragically they were shot down on their fifth mission to Warsaw - none of the crew survived.

                Frances

                --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, "annapacewicz" <annapacewicz@...> wrote:

                > Dear group, please can you rack your brains and help me think of all the possible "Forgotten Heroes" from Poland in WW2 but with a link to Kresy.
                >
                > Examples from Western Poland would be Jan Karksi, Captain Pilecki, Irene Sandler.
                >
                > From a Kresy angle I can think of General Anders (not forgotten to us but probably still largely unknown in the West); Wojtek the Bear; General Maczek; General Sosabowski (I am including him because he was a Commander in the Polish Armed Forces in Exile). I would like to know of any AK/Partisan "heroes" from Kresy, any Polish citizens who helped to save Jewish people during the German occupation of Kresy etc Also Polish Airforce "Aces" from the Battle of Britain.
                >
                > Many thanks
                >
                > Kind regards
                > Anna Pacewicz
                > Sydney

              • Stefan Jackowski
                Message 7 of 23 , Feb 15, 2013

                  Hi Anna,

                  A summer time neighbour of our families during the inter-war years was a remarkable Polish patriot, Jan Karcz.

                  The connection to the Kresy is a bit tenuous, but I think he would be a "Forgotten Hero" by almost any standard:

                  http://www.andrzej21202.republika.pl/index_a.html

                  Kind regards,

                  Stefan Jackowski
                  os. woj. - Uscilug, Wolyn

                  Dear group, please can you rack your brains and help me think of all the possible "Forgotten Heroes" from Poland in WW2 but with a link to Kresy.

                  Examples from Western Poland would be Jan Karksi, Captain Pilecki, Irene Sandler.

                  From a Kresy angle I can think of General Anders (not forgotten to us but probably still largely unknown in the West); Wojtek the Bear; General Maczek; General Sosabowski (I am including him because he was a Commander in the Polish Armed Forces in Exile). I would like to know of any AK/Partisan "heroes" from Kresy, any Polish citizens who helped to save Jewish people during the German occupation of Kresy etc Also Polish Airforce "Aces" from the Battle of Britain.

                  Many thanks

                  Kind regards
                  Anna Pacewicz
                  Sydney

                • Eva
                  Message 8 of 23 , Feb 16, 2013
                    Hi Anna,
                    What about Inka and I've recently come across General Emil August Fieldorf (nickname 'Nil') - Warsaw Uprising?
                    All the best.
                    Eva Szegidewicz
                    Manchester

                    --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, "annapacewicz" <annapacewicz@...> wrote:

                    > Dear group, please can you rack your brains and help me think of all the possible "Forgotten Heroes" from Poland in WW2 but with a link to Kresy.
                    >
                    > Examples from Western Poland would be Jan Karksi, Captain Pilecki, Irene Sandler.
                    >
                    > From a Kresy angle I can think of General Anders (not forgotten to us but probably still largely unknown in the West); Wojtek the Bear; General Maczek; General Sosabowski (I am including him because he was a Commander in the Polish Armed Forces in Exile). I would like to know of any AK/Partisan "heroes" from Kresy, any Polish citizens who helped to save Jewish people during the German occupation of Kresy etc Also Polish Airforce "Aces" from the Battle of Britain.
                    >
                    > Many thanks
                    >
                    > Kind regards
                    > Anna Pacewicz
                    > Sydney

                  • Krystyna Mew
                    Message 9 of 23 , Feb 16, 2013
                      There is a DVD called 'General Nil' which was recommended to me.  I've not been brave enough to watch it yet as it is supposed to be pretty harrowing. It is in Polish with English subtitles. Available on amazon.co.uk

                      Krystyna Mew
                      France

                      --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, "annapacewicz" wrote:

                      > Dear group, please can you rack your brains and help me think of all the possible "Forgotten Heroes" from Poland in WW2 but with a link to Kresy.
                      >
                      > Examples from Western Poland would be Jan Karksi, Captain Pilecki, Irene Sandler.
                      >
                      > From a Kresy angle I can think of General Anders (not forgotten to us but probably still largely unknown in the West); Wojtek the Bear; General Maczek; General Sosabowski (I am including him because he was a Commander in the Polish Armed Forces in Exile). I would like to know of any AK/Partisan "heroes" from Kresy, any Polish citizens who helped to save Jewish people during the German occupation of Kresy etc Also Polish Airforce "Aces" from the Battle of Britain.
                      >
                      > Many thanks
                      >
                      > Kind regards
                      > Anna Pacewicz
                      > Sydney

                    • Eva
                      Message 10 of 23 , Feb 16, 2013
                        ...another one Krystyna Skarbek (Christine Granville) - Special Agent - but not sure if she is Kresy-related?
                        Eva

                        --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, "Eva" <eszegidewicz@...> wrote:

                        > Hi Anna,
                        > What about Inka and I've recently come across General Emil August Fieldorf (nickname 'Nil') - Warsaw Uprising?
                        > All the best.
                        > Eva Szegidewicz
                        > Manchester
                        >
                        > --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, "annapacewicz" <annapacewicz@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Dear group, please can you rack your brains and help me think of all the possible "Forgotten Heroes" from Poland in WW2 but with a link to Kresy.
                        > >
                        > > Examples from Western Poland would be Jan Karksi, Captain Pilecki, Irene Sandler.
                        > >
                        > > From a Kresy angle I can think of General Anders (not forgotten to us but probably still largely unknown in the West); Wojtek the Bear; General Maczek; General Sosabowski (I am including him because he was a Commander in the Polish Armed Forces in Exile). I would like to know of any AK/Partisan "heroes" from Kresy, any Polish citizens who helped to save Jewish people during the German occupation of Kresy etc Also Polish Airforce "Aces" from the Battle of Britain.
                        > >
                        > > Many thanks
                        > >
                        > > Kind regards
                        > > Anna Pacewicz
                        > > Sydney

                      • Frances
                        Message 11 of 23 , Feb 16, 2013
                          Yes, this film was harrowing - as is the story of Emil Fieldorf (General Nil) - played in the film by Olgierd Lukaszewicz. General Fieldorf was the Deputy Commander-in-Chief of Armia Krajowa after the Warsaw Uprising.

                          He was arrested by the NKVD in 1945 and banished to a labour camp in Siberia, eventually being allowed to return to post-war Poland under a sham 'amnesty'. However he was then arrested by the communists in Poland, tortured and executed by the Beirut government in 1953 - for alleged actions against 'soviet partisans' while in AK. The court which sentenced him was said to be a 'kangaroo court'

                          He was eventually posthumously awarded the Order of the White Eagle by Lech Kaczynski in 2006, coincidentally at the same ceremony where my father was also recognised with a posthumous award from President Kaczynski.

                          Frances

                          --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, Krystyna Mew <krystynamew@...> wrote:

                          > There is a DVD called 'General Nil' which was recommended to me.  I've not been brave enough to watch it yet as it is supposed to be pretty harrowing. It is in Polish with English subtitles. Available on amazon.co.uk
                          >
                          > Krystyna Mew
                          > France
                          >

                          > >________________________________

                        • Barbara Milligan
                          Message 12 of 23 , Feb 16, 2013
                            I would like to nominate Jan Kazimierski who was the first Polish airman to be airlifted into Warsaw.

                            Antoni, do please fill this out. The book is in Oxford and I have just arrived in Scotland.

                            Basia (UK)
                            On 16 Feb 2013, at 05:39, Frances wrote:

                            Hello Anna

                            One group of Forgotten Heroes are those brave men in Polish Special Duties Squadron 1586 who flew supplies into Warsaw during the Warsaw Uprising from August 1 1944. After a long journey at night from Brindisi, Italy, they had to fly at heights of only 300 meters over Warsaw to drop their supplies, risking attack by Nazis from ground and air.
                            Many attacks occurred along the route from Brindisi by the German night fighters - and and many crews were shot down, some lucky enough to escape. Others were either incarcerated by the Nazis or tragically lost their lives.

                            In my father's crew of seven there were four men who had been arrested/deported to USSR, my own father included. After being released from labour camps under 'amnesty' they joined the Polish Air Force to fight for their homeland. Tragically they were shot down on their fifth mission to Warsaw - none of the crew survived.

                            Frances

                            --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, "annapacewicz" wrote:

                            > Dear group, please can you rack your brains and help me think of all the possible "Forgotten Heroes" from Poland in WW2 but with a link to Kresy.
                            >
                            > Examples from Western Poland would be Jan Karksi, Captain Pilecki, Irene Sandler.
                            >
                            > From a Kresy angle I can think of General Anders (not forgotten to us but probably still largely unknown in the West); Wojtek the Bear; General Maczek; General Sosabowski (I am including him because he was a Commander in the Polish Armed Forces in Exile). I would like to know of any AK/Partisan "heroes" from Kresy, any Polish citizens who helped to save Jewish people during the German occupation of Kresy etc Also Polish Airforce "Aces" from the Battle of Britain.
                            >
                            > Many thanks
                            >
                            > Kind regards
                            > Anna Pacewicz
                            > Sydney

                          • Frances
                            Message 13 of 23 , Feb 16, 2013
                              Those men and women who were dropped into enemy-occupied territory were incredibly brave - especially as some of them, such as Jan Kazimierski had suffered in USSR.
                              They were trained by SOE and risked their lives by being dropped under cover of darkness to assist and support members of AK.

                              For new members who aren't aware of Cichociemni - as they are known in Polish, it's worth searching in our message bank for further information as there have been previous posts from members, including Antoni Kazimierski who is related to Jan.

                              There are at least two books published about this topic, with the names of these heroes; also much information on the web.

                              Frances

                              .--- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, Barbara Milligan <bwbm5@...> wrote:

                              > I would like to nominate Jan Kazimierski who was the first Polish airman to be airlifted into Warsaw.
                              >
                              > Antoni, do please fill this out. The book is in Oxford and I have just arrived in Scotland.
                              >
                              > Basia (UK)
                              > On 16 Feb 2013, at 05:39, Frances wrote:
                              >

                              > > Hello Anna
                              > >
                              > > One group of Forgotten Heroes are those brave men in Polish Special Duties Squadron 1586 who flew supplies into Warsaw during the Warsaw Uprising from August 1 1944. After a long journey at night from Brindisi, Italy, they had to fly at heights of only 300 meters over Warsaw to drop their supplies, risking attack by Nazis from ground and air.
                              > > Many attacks occurred along the route from Brindisi by the German night fighters - and and many crews were shot down, some lucky enough to escape. Others were either incarcerated by the Nazis or tragically lost their lives.
                              > >
                              > > In my father's crew of seven there were four men who had been arrested/deported to USSR, my own father included. After being released from labour camps under 'amnesty' they joined the Polish Air Force to fight for their homeland. Tragically they were shot down on their fifth mission to Warsaw - none of the crew survived.
                              > >
                              > > Frances
                              > >
                              > > --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, "annapacewicz" wrote:
                              > > >
                              > > > Dear group, please can you rack your brains and help me think of all the possible "Forgotten Heroes" from Poland in WW2 but with a link to Kresy.
                              > > >
                              > > > Examples from Western Poland would be Jan Karksi, Captain Pilecki, Irene Sandler.
                              > > >
                              > > > From a Kresy angle I can think of General Anders (not forgotten to us but probably still largely unknown in the West); Wojtek the Bear; General Maczek; General Sosabowski (I am including him because he was a Commander in the Polish Armed Forces in Exile). I would like to know of any AK/Partisan "heroes" from Kresy, any Polish citizens who helped to save Jewish people during the German occupation of Kresy etc Also Polish Airforce "Aces" from the Battle of Britain.
                              > > >
                              > > > Many thanks
                              > > >
                              > > > Kind regards
                              > > > Anna Pacewicz
                              > > > Sydney

                            • STEPHEN STELMASZUK
                              Message 14 of 23 , Feb 17, 2013
                                Google 303 sqaudron you will find plenty heroes.

                                Dear group, please can you rack your brains and help me think of all the possible "Forgotten Heroes" from Poland in WW2 but with a link to Kresy.

                                Examples from Western Poland would be Jan Karksi, Captain Pilecki, Irene Sandler.

                                From a Kresy angle I can think of General Anders (not forgotten to us but probably still largely unknown in the West); Wojtek the Bear; General Maczek; General Sosabowski (I am including him because he was a Commander in the Polish Armed Forces in Exile). I would like to know of any AK/Partisan "heroes" from Kresy, any Polish citizens who helped to save Jewish people during the German occupation of Kresy etc Also Polish Airforce "Aces" from the Battle of Britain.

                                Many thanks

                                Kind regards
                                Anna Pacewicz
                                Sydney

                              • Barbara Milligan
                                Message 15 of 23 , Feb 17, 2013
                                  Frances,  Jan Kazimierski was Antoni's brother.
                                  Basia (UK)

                                  .--- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, Barbara Milligan wrote:

                                  > I would like to nominate Jan Kazimierski who was the first Polish airman to be airlifted into Warsaw.
                                  >
                                  > Antoni, do please fill this out. The book is in Oxford and I have just arrived in Scotland.
                                  >
                                  > Basia (UK)
                                  > On 16 Feb 2013, at 05:39, Frances wrote:
                                  >

                                  > > Hello Anna
                                  > >
                                  > > One group of Forgotten Heroes are those brave men in Polish Special Duties Squadron 1586 who flew supplies into Warsaw during the Warsaw Uprising from August 1 1944. After a long journey at night from Brindisi, Italy, they had to fly at heights of only 300 meters over Warsaw to drop their supplies, risking attack by Nazis from ground and air.
                                  > > Many attacks occurred along the route from Brindisi by the German night fighters - and and many crews were shot down, some lucky enough to escape. Others were either incarcerated by the Nazis or tragically lost their lives.
                                  > >
                                  > > In my father's crew of seven there were four men who had been arrested/deported to USSR, my own father included. After being released from labour camps under 'amnesty' they joined the Polish Air Force to fight for their homeland. Tragically they were shot down on their fifth mission to Warsaw - none of the crew survived.
                                  > >
                                  > > Frances
                                  > >
                                  > > --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, "annapacewicz" wrote:
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Dear group, please can you rack your brains and help me think of all the possible "Forgotten Heroes" from Poland in WW2 but with a link to Kresy.
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Examples from Western Poland would be Jan Karksi, Captain Pilecki, Irene Sandler.
                                  > > >
                                  > > > From a Kresy angle I can think of General Anders (not forgotten to us but probably still largely unknown in the West); Wojtek the Bear; General Maczek; General Sosabowski (I am including him because he was a Commander in the Polish Armed Forces in Exile). I would like to know of any AK/Partisan "heroes" from Kresy, any Polish citizens who helped to save Jewish people during the German occupation of Kresy etc Also Polish Airforce "Aces" from the Battle of Britain.
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Many thanks
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Kind regards
                                  > > > Anna Pacewicz
                                  > > > Sydney

                                • annapacewicz
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Feb 18, 2013
                                    Dear all, a million thanks for so many wonderful suggestions (and I hope they keep coming). I'm going to keep a list of all these and follow-up what I can with the hope at some stage, we may be able to do something on this in the museum. When I have written up/researched the list I will post it back to the forum.

                                    Thank you so much again,
                                    Best regards
                                    Anna Pacewicz
                                    Sydney

                                      Message 18 of 23 , Feb 18, 2013
                                        Thanks Basia, I wasn't exactly sure of the family relationship.

                                        Frances

                                        --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, Barbara Milligan <bwbm5@...> wrote:

                                        > Frances, Jan Kazimierski was Antoni's brother.
                                        > Basia (UK)
                                        > On 17 Feb 2013, at 02:37, Frances wrote:
                                        >

                                        > > Those men and women who were dropped into enemy-occupied territory were incredibly brave - especially as some of them, such as Jan Kazimierski had suffered in USSR.
                                        > > They were trained by SOE and risked their lives by being dropped under cover of darkness to assist and support members of AK.
                                        > >
                                        > > For new members who aren't aware of Cichociemni - as they are known in Polish, it's worth searching in our message bank for further information as there have been previous posts from members, including Antoni Kazimierski who is related to Jan.
                                        > >
                                        > > There are at least two books published about this topic, with the names of these heroes; also much information on the web.
                                        > >
                                        > > Frances
                                        > >
                                        > > .--- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, Barbara Milligan wrote:
                                        > > >
                                        > > > I would like to nominate Jan Kazimierski who was the first Polish airman to be airlifted into Warsaw.
                                        > > >
                                        > > > Antoni, do please fill this out. The book is in Oxford and I have just arrived in Scotland.
                                        > > >
                                        > > > Basia (UK)

                                      • Gianluca Vernole
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Feb 23, 2013
                                          Dear  Frances, the pilots of Polish special squadron 1586 are not forget to you, at least here in Puglia. We have found their history, their missions of courage in order to carry the aids to Warsaw, some of they are buried in the Polish military cemetary of Casamassima and have had the pleasure and the honor to tell their history to the boys of the Polish schools of Rome that have come in visit.
                                          I would want to ask to you if you can write something to me on your father, what you know, for me is an honor to be able to insert it in my book in preparation and also in my exibition.

                                          Gianluca
                                          .

                                          One group of Forgotten Heroes are those brave men in Polish Special Duties Squadron 1586 who flew supplies into Warsaw during the Warsaw Uprising from August 1 1944. After a long journey at night from Brindisi, Italy, they had to fly at heights of only 300 meters over Warsaw to drop their supplies, risking attack by Nazis from ground and air.
                                          Many attacks occurred along the route from Brindisi by the German night fighters - and and many crews were shot down, some lucky enough to escape. Others were either incarcerated by the Nazis or tragically lost their lives.

                                          In my father's crew of seven there were four men who had been arrested/deported to USSR, my own father included. After being released from labour camps under 'amnesty' they joined the Polish Air Force to fight for their homeland. Tragically they were shot down on their fifth mission to Warsaw - none of the crew survived.

                                          Frances

                                          --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, "annapacewicz" wrote:

                                          > Dear group, please can you rack your brains and help me think of all the possible "Forgotten Heroes" from Poland in WW2 but with a link to Kresy.
                                          >
                                          > Examples from Western Poland would be Jan Karksi, Captain Pilecki, Irene Sandler.
                                          >
                                          > From a Kresy angle I can think of General Anders (not forgotten to us but probably still largely unknown in the West); Wojtek the Bear; General Maczek; General Sosabowski (I am including him because he was a Commander in the Polish Armed Forces in Exile). I would like to know of any AK/Partisan "heroes" from Kresy, any Polish citizens who helped to save Jewish people during the German occupation of Kresy etc Also Polish Airforce "Aces" from the Battle of Britain.
                                          >
                                          > Many thanks
                                          >
                                          > Kind regards
                                          > Anna Pacewicz
                                          > Sydney

                                        • Gianluca Vernole
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Feb 23, 2013
                                            The list of polish pilot buried in polish cemetery in Casamassima :

                                            Bohuszawicz Witold

                                             Pulczynski Antoni

                                            Kukmicki Mieczislaw

                                            Taczalski Zdzislaw

                                            Blazenski Romuald

                                            Drong Jerzy

                                            Finder Kazimierz

                                            Dunski Zygmunt

                                            Olkiewicz Franciszek

                                            Paszkiewicz Witold

                                            Domaradzki Tadeusz

                                            Halik Piotr

                                            Magdziarek Stefan

                                            Marchwicki Jozef

                                            Bucko Julian

                                            One group of Forgotten Heroes are those brave men in Polish Special Duties Squadron 1586 who flew supplies into Warsaw during the Warsaw Uprising from August 1 1944. After a long journey at night from Brindisi, Italy, they had to fly at heights of only 300 meters over Warsaw to drop their supplies, risking attack by Nazis from ground and air.
                                            Many attacks occurred along the route from Brindisi by the German night fighters - and and many crews were shot down, some lucky enough to escape. Others were either incarcerated by the Nazis or tragically lost their lives.

                                            In my father's crew of seven there were four men who had been arrested/deported to USSR, my own father included. After being released from labour camps under 'amnesty' they joined the Polish Air Force to fight for their homeland. Tragically they were shot down on their fifth mission to Warsaw - none of the crew survived.

                                            Frances

                                            --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, "annapacewicz" wrote:

                                            > Dear group, please can you rack your brains and help me think of all the possible "Forgotten Heroes" from Poland in WW2 but with a link to Kresy.
                                            >
                                            > Examples from Western Poland would be Jan Karksi, Captain Pilecki, Irene Sandler.
                                            >
                                            > From a Kresy angle I can think of General Anders (not forgotten to us but probably still largely unknown in the West); Wojtek the Bear; General Maczek; General Sosabowski (I am including him because he was a Commander in the Polish Armed Forces in Exile). I would like to know of any AK/Partisan "heroes" from Kresy, any Polish citizens who helped to save Jewish people during the German occupation of Kresy etc Also Polish Airforce "Aces" from the Battle of Britain.
                                            >
                                            > Many thanks
                                            >
                                            > Kind regards
                                            > Anna Pacewicz
                                            > Sydney

                                          • szypowska
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Feb 23, 2013
                                              Thank you Gianluca.

                                              Thanks to you, we have the complete list of Polish Forces personnel buried at Cassamassima on the Kresy-Siberia Virtual Museum Wall of Names, including the pilots you mention.  Here is the link:   http://kresy-siberia.org/won/?page_id=13&lang=en&source=75

                                              Kind regards,

                                              Krystyna Szypowska - Winnipeg, Canada

                                              ---------------------------

                                              One group of Forgotten Heroes are those brave men in Polish Special Duties Squadron 1586 who flew supplies into Warsaw during the Warsaw Uprising from August 1 1944. After a long journey at night from Brindisi, Italy, they had to fly at heights of only 300 meters over Warsaw to drop their supplies, risking attack by Nazis from ground and air.
                                              Many attacks occurred along the route from Brindisi by the German night fighters - and and many crews were shot down, some lucky enough to escape. Others were either incarcerated by the Nazis or tragically lost their lives.

                                              In my father's crew of seven there were four men who had been arrested/deported to USSR, my own father included. After being released from labour camps under 'amnesty' they joined the Polish Air Force to fight for their homeland. Tragically they were shot down on their fifth mission to Warsaw - none of the crew survived.

                                              Frances

                                              --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, "annapacewicz" wrote:

                                              > Dear group, please can you rack your brains and help me think of all the possible "Forgotten Heroes" from Poland in WW2 but with a link to Kresy.
                                              >
                                              > Examples from Western Poland would be Jan Karksi, Captain Pilecki, Irene Sandler.
                                              >
                                              > From a Kresy angle I can think of General Anders (not forgotten to us but probably still largely unknown in the West); Wojtek the Bear; General Maczek; General Sosabowski (I am including him because he was a Commander in the Polish Armed Forces in Exile). I would like to know of any AK/Partisan "heroes" from Kresy, any Polish citizens who helped to save Jewish people during the German occupation of Kresy etc Also Polish Airforce "Aces" from the Battle of Britain.
                                              >
                                              > Many thanks
                                              >
                                              > Kind regards
                                              > Anna Pacewicz
                                              > Sydney

                                            • Frances
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Feb 24, 2013
                                                Hello Gianluca

                                                Many thanks for sending the names of the Polish airmen buried at Cassimassa. As Krystyna has written, these names have been included on the Wall of Names among those of the Polish Forces lost in Italy.

                                                Thank you for your interest in my father. I am happy to write about him - please let me know how much to write as there is a great deal to tell. I will write to you privately, also to give you links to others who have written about him, as links I put on the group site usually don't work. (I don't know why).

                                                A book was published in 2010 about the loss of my father's aircraft and the mix-up between that and another aircraft - it was 'ODWAGA I NADZIEJA' written by Aleksander Gucwa. However it is available in Polish only but I hope it will be eventually translated into English.

                                                By the way I will be in Bari for one day in May (by boat) - is it easy to get to Cassimassa from Bari?

                                                With warm regards

                                                Frances