Re: [www.Kresy-Siberia.org] Travel to Belarus

  • tracey.ashworth@xtra.co.nz
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 11, 2013
      Hello there Stan,

      I can understand your concern! The place we wish to travel to is very tiny - virtually unpopulated, and is located in the Wilno area - now Belarus. The nearest main city happens to be Vilnius in Lithuania - Radizule is 50 km away across the border to the East of Vilnius.

      My cousin Mary-Anne Morgan visited Radizule four years ago, and we have google map coordinates plus Mary-Anne's handwritten map. I now wish to make the same trip and have been advised that we are best to hire a driver and car as obviously no buses are available, and as you quite rightly point out, the Belarussian authoriies can be a bit sticky!

      We plan to base our stay from Vilnius in Lithuania, and will probably only need to be in Belarus for a day.

      Regards,

      Tracey Ashworth
      Auckland, NZ

      --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, Stanislaw Zwierzynski wrote:

      > Dear Tracey!
      >
      > Thereis no village Radizule in Belarus. If you do not want to get into a difficult situation and that you are not charged with local authorities (they are very suspicious), that you - New Zealand spies, you have to know exactly where you are going.
      >
      > Please less optimism and more realism. Belarusians - very nice hospitable people, but very scared, everything is under control. You must make an accurate map of the route.
      > It is best to look for traces of your relatives on the crosses and monuments in the cemetery - it is necessary to know Polish language.
      >
      > Read on old maps, just as the name of your village. Approximately determine its location. Then go to Googl, find this place and find out what the name of this village now.
      >
      > On Belarus is best to move on the bus - they go on schedule, between large, medium and small cities and even villages. Then take a taxi in the town and drive around if it is necessary.
      >
      > Remember - change the currency in Minsk or another major city. If you are going to pay on the spot in dollars or euros - a chance to get in, may sit there with criminals and feel like your family feel in 1939-41.
      >
      > I'll go to Grodno region in July and August.
      > Stan from M.
      >

      > ________________________________

    • Stanislaw Zwierzynski
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 11, 2013
        Dear Tracey!

        Your explanation changes the whole thing! If you have accurate maps and even guidance, you can easily reach. I advise to get the bus to the nearest miastecko, and then take a taxi.
        Do not forget to walk to the nearest cemetery.
        If this place belongs to the Lida area, I recommend go to Lida  local museum - can there find any documents.
        Good luck to you!

        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 11, 2013
          Dear Stan and Jozef

          Thank you both for your posts.  Stan your advice about travelling to Radzyule/Radziule is wise.

          I am pleased to confirm there is indeed a village called Radziule/Radzyule in Belarus.  I visited there in 2008 with a Lithuanian driver and translator.   I found a living relative on the land  who was 78 at the time.  Before their deportation, my family lived there in a village of people related to each other.  I have located their records at the National Historical Archives of Grodno  in Belarus. What remains of the village is very small now and I believe there is a nuclear power plant being built nearby which is changing the area even further.

          Kind regards
          Mary-Anne
          (NZ)

          Sent: Tuesday, February 12, 2013 6:25 AM

          Hello Stan,

          There were even two hamlets Radziule, both In old powiat of Wilno.

          You may look here:

          http://dir.icm.edu.pl/pl/Slownik_geograficzny/Tom_IX/474

          Just my dwa grosze J

          Józef, Warsaw, Poland

          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 12, 2013
            Dear Stan,

            Thank you, the Lida museum looks to be a very good place to visit. I appreciate your suggestion.

            Regards,

            Tracey Ashworth
            Auckland, NZ

            --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, Stanislaw Zwierzynski wrote:

            > Dear Tracey!
            >
            > Your explanation changes the whole thing! If you have accurate maps and even guidance, you can easily reach. I advise to get the bus to the nearest miastecko, and then take a taxi.
            > Do not forget to walk to the nearest cemetery.
            > If this place belongs to the Lida area, I recommend go to Lida  local museum - can there find any documents.
            > Good luck to you!
            >

            > ________________________________

          • antoni530
            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 13, 2013
              Tracey,

              It might be a good idea to contact from Lida Roots Group (also Yahoo) who might help you with your trip.
              Contact the administrator.
              Antoni in UK

              --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, "tracey.ashworth@..." wrote:

              > Dear Stan,
              >
              > Thank you, the Lida museum looks to be a very good place to visit. I appreciate your suggestion.
              >
              > Regards,
              >
              > Tracey Ashworth
              > Auckland, NZ
              >
              > --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, Stanislaw Zwierzynski wrote:
              > >
              > > Dear Tracey!
              > >
              > > Your explanation changes the whole thing! If you have accurate maps and even guidance, you can easily reach. I advise to get the bus to the nearest miastecko, and then take a taxi.
              > > Do not forget to walk to the nearest cemetery.
              > > If this place belongs to the Lida area, I recommend go to Lida  local museum - can there find any documents.
              > > Good luck to you!
              > >

              > > ________________________________

            • Virginia Kuzmicki
              Message 6 of 20 , Feb 20, 2013

                Hello Tracy

                I travelled to Belarus in September of last year from London but with my sister from Australia .  (My NZ sister could not make it).  We are Scottish.

                We had a wonderful time and the people were as kind as they could be.

                We crossed the border in the wonderful Bialowieza forest, by foot.  The Belarusian guards were brilliant, the Polish guards were a disgrace and had it been the same ones on my return I would have made my thoughts known (back on European soil!!!).

                The border controls are generally trying to prevent cigarettes and fuel being shipped over.  Hire cars get an extraordinary amount of investigation and I would say not worth the trouble.  The roads I travelled on in Belarus were quiet but much better than the Polish roads.

                USD is king currency

                I would say Russian and Polish is useful depending on the age of the people you speak with.  The young do not speak Polish.

                You do need someone to read the grave stones.  For example, my name is Kuzmicki.  Because my Grandparents are in the same grave, the stone reads Jan and Ola Kuzmiccy.  I would not have recognised this as my family name without being told.

                In fact there are many different endings to your name depending on a number of factors and everyone will have a Christened name and the name they used.

                You are probably much more knowledgeable.

                The people, the food and the kindness was extraordinary.

                Like you, I was fortunate enough to find my family and roots only recently, hence my trip.  I am close friends with a priest there now so if you have any questions I can ask him for you.  I have already asked him if he knows your local priest as that can help. You may be Orthodox.  The local Girls (in their 80’s and 90’s) are your best source of knowledge as they will know everyone in the graveyard and the history of your family.  Undoubtedly they will still attend church as it is the mainstay of the community.   Our Girls were overwhelmingly wonderful.

                If you want to have a chat about my experience I am happy to speak with you.  Send me a direct email.

                Good Luck.  Enjoy the vodka!!!

                Virginia

                I can understand your concern! The place we wish to travel to is very tiny - virtually unpopulated, and is located in the Wilno area - now Belarus . The nearest main city happens to be Vilnius in Lithuania - Radizule is 50 km away across the border to the East of Vilnius.

                My cousin Mary-Anne Morgan visited Radizule four years ago, and we have google map coordinates plus Mary-Anne's handwritten map. I now wish to make the same trip and have been advised that we are best to hire a driver and car as obviously no buses are available, and as you quite rightly point out, the Belarussian authoriies can be a bit sticky!

                We plan to base our stay from Vilnius in Lithuania , and will probably only need to be in Belarus for a day.

                Regards,

                Tracey Ashworth
                Auckland , NZ

                --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, Stanislaw Zwierzynski wrote:

                > Dear Tracey!
                >
                > Thereis no village Radizule in
                w:st="on">Belarus . If you do not want to get into a difficult situation and that you are not charged with local authorities (they are very suspicious), that you - New Zealand spies, you have to know exactly where you are going.

                > Please less optimism and more realism. Belarusians - very nice hospitable
                people, but very scared, everything is under control. You must make an accurate map of the route.
                > It is best to look for traces of your relatives on the crosses and
                monuments in the cemetery - it is necessary to know Polish language.

                > Read on old maps, just as the name of your village. Approximately
                determine its location. Then go to Googl, find this place and find out what the name of this village now.

                > On Belarus
                is best to move on the bus - they go on schedule, between large, medium and small cities and even villages. Then take a taxi in the town and drive around if it is necessary.

                > Remember - change the currency in Minsk
                or another major city. If you are going to pay on the spot in dollars or euros - a chance to get in, may sit there with criminals and feel like your family feel in 1939-41.

                > I'll go to Grodno
                region in July and August.
                > Stan from M.
                >

                > ________________________________

                w:st="on">New Zealand

              • Virginia Kuzmicki
                Message 7 of 20 , Feb 20, 2013

                  One more thing, I think you will have to do your visas by post as there is not a Belarusian Embassy in NZ or Australia so don’t leave it too late to get you passport back.

                  Virginia

                  London

                  Message 8 of 20 , Feb 28, 2013
                    Antoni,

                    Thank you, could anyone assist me please by providing me with the contact details for the Lida Roots group?

                    Regards,

                    Tracey Ashworth
                    Auckland, New Zealand