Welcome Anne Kaczanowski

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 3, 2003
      Welcome Anne Kaczanowski Please welcome Anne Kaczanowski to the group.  Anne, my family also made its way from Archangielsk through Persia to England and Canada.

      Anne, there is a lot of information on our website (www.AForgottenOdyssey.com) that may be of interest to you, and when you have time you might surf the links there.

      There are also a number of routes to get specific information on your father.  As he was in the Polish Armed Forces under Allied command, his file at the Ministry of Defense in England will have lots of biographical and historical information (if you do not have it yet).  Other sources you need to go after include the Hoover Institution to see if he lodged an "Ankieta" (Testimony).  You can also ask the Memorial Society in Moscow to check for NKVD labour camp records to see if they have a record of his time there.

      All of the information on contacting these sources is found at http://www.aforgottenodyssey.com/reference.html

      Finally, please keep us up to date on your findings - they may be a source of information and inspiration to other members.. and please feel free to ask the group anything you want!

      Best regards
      Stefan Wisniowski

      From: Anne Kaczanowski <annekaczanowski@...>
      Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 20:17:40 -0700 (PDT)

      Hi Stefan,
      I came across your website and thought it might be useful to me in my own research.  My father was captured by the Russians the day they invaded Poland in 1939, as he was leaving Lutck.   He was taken to a prison in Kowel, then to a prison in Odessa, and finally to the dreaded  forced labour camps in Arkhangelska, and Workuta.   He later joined the Polish 2nd Corps and finally immigrated to Canada.  I am trying to fill in some missing blanks and hoped that through your site, someone might be able to help me.

      Anne Kaczanowski