Re: number in the military forces

  • annapacewicz
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 31, 2013
      Martin, that is a superb idea. My Dad was also in the Navy (I'm sure we have corresponded on this previously). He enlisted in Tockoje and by August 1942 was in UK. He was on Garland also pounding Italy in 1944.

      There is some great info on the National Archives under the archives for Churchill's War Cabinet. It makes reference to 800 men coming from "Russia" (I can send you this?).

      I have been in touch with a Polish Navy historian in the UK who has been enormously helpful - Wanda Troman - and there is also Martin Hazell from Plymouth who has just recently organised an exhibition/testimonial history at the naval museum in Gdansk.

      I do have a list of all the names of sailors from the Polish Navy in WW2. They are listed in the book "Polska Marynarka Wojenna" published in 1947. It is on my To Do list to scan this book for KSVM.

      Anyway I'm sure it is possible to set something up as you propose.
      For example we could start a collection on the KSVM Hall of Memories. There is a lady in Wollongong NSW I have been meaning to visit all year..: her father also served on Garland and she has dozens of photos which she will let me scan. I'm sure I connected with her via Martin Hazell / the Plymouth maritime museum. I have also found lots of photographs from PISM although apart from very senior officers there are no names attributed.

      What do you think?

      We would also like to do a special exhibition or gallery on the Polish Navy in KSVM but that is grant dependant and a bigger task. Setting up a photograph gallery would be easier perhaps with a link up to Wall of Names.

      Kind regards
      Anna Pacewicz
      Sydney
      (from Edinburgh)

      --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, martin stepek wrote:

      > Lucyna
      >

      > The Polish Navy was very small. Only 4,500. I know this because I have about a dozen to twenty photos of my father and naval friends and colleagues, most of whose identities I don’t know. If I get the time I’d like to set up a kind of “Search for wartime Polish sailors photographs” website. This would allow families of WW2 Polish Navy personnel to put up their photos and search others’ to see if they can find previously unknown photos of their relatives. After all if I have photos of Polish sailors in my possession it suggests that others will have photos of my father in their possession. Anyone who could help set this up please get in touch because I have the vision but neither the time nor the expertise to do it properly.
      >

      > I wonder if anyone has any stats on the number of Siberiaks who ended up being transferred to the navy. My Dad joined Anders Army on 10th Feb 1942 at Kermine, contracted typhus so couldn’t leave with the vast majority of the troops, eventually left in August 1942, promptly contracted dysentery twice then malaria so spend from August 42 to January 43 in hospital in Teheran before rejoining Anders in Basra, Iraq. There he promptly fell ill again. At that point a friend told him the Navy were recruiting and Dad thought of it as a way to leave the Middle-East and its tropical diseases. By March he was in Kirkcaldy here in Scotland training before being transferred to Poland Naval HQ near Plymouth. For the next two years he served as radar operator on Polish ships in Sicily, Italy (including pounding around Monte Cassino to distract the enemy from defending it in greater numbers), D-Day in Normandy and finally Germany itself.
      >

      > I think his war was quite rare for a Syberiak and would be interested to learn if there are many - any? - other examples of transferences of survivors of Siberia spending the war in the navy rather than army or civilian life.
      >

      > Martin Stepek
      >
      > Author, For There is Hope
      >
      > “tender and impassioned, it should be on every table where Poland is discussed and the brave dead remembered” Neal Ascherson
      >
      > Available from Amazon, Waterstones or directly from the publishers www.ettadunn.com
      >

      > Sent from Windows Mail

    • Vincent Geffroy
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 1, 2013

        Hi Martin

        This is a great idea. My late father, like yours and Anna's, served in the Polish navy. After  signing up in Tockoje (23/9/1941) & serving with the 17th Infantry Regiment, 6th Infantry  Division, he was sent to the UK on 15/8/1942. He arrived at Kinghorn in Scotland on 1/3/1943 & was also, I believe, in Kirkaldy. On 22/5/1943 he was transferred to Plymouth for naval training. He served on ORP "Dragon" from 17/8/1943 & took part in the Normandy Landings, where he was amongst the lucky survivors when the ship was torpedoed on 8/7/1944. After recovery he was assigned to ORP "Conrad" & later  ORP "Baltyk". In 1946 he served on ORP "Blyskevica" & was finally discharged from Witley Camp on 13/7/1948.

        I also have a few navy photographs & pictures of my father with unnamed naval "buddies", who other members may recognise. For some years my siblings & I have wondered who the nameless individuals are. Similarly other members may have photographs depicting my father, which would be of great interest to me.

        Kind Regards
        Karen Geffroy (Nikiel)
        Cape Town

        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 1, 2013
          Hi Anna

          I should like to know if the name of my late father, or any of his family, appears in your book "Polska Marynarka Wojenna".  The surnames NIKIEL & GERCYK/GIERCYK/HERCYK (or similar) would be of interest to me. My father was Edward Josef NIKIEL.

          Kind Regards
          Karen Geffroy (Nikiel)
          Cape Town

> [...]

          > I think his war was quite rare for a Syberiak and would be interested to learn if there are many - any? - other examples of transferences of survivors of Siberia spending the war in the navy rather than army or civilian life.
          >

          > Martin Stepek
          >
          > Author, For There is Hope
          >
          > “tender and impassioned, it should be on every table where Poland is discussed and the brave dead remembered” Neal Ascherson

        • Robert
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 1, 2013
            Dear Martin

            By the end of 1942, around 800 men evacuated from Russia were absorbed into the Polish Navy.
            In addition, say from March 1943 to say July 1943, there would have been recruits drawn from the Army (presumably some of them ex-Russia) and others that would have been enlisted into the Polish Navy.(Strength increased by about 300 between March and July 1943).
            Taking the number of ratings as of 1st December 1942 as approx 2,300 - the 800 ex-Russia represent about one-third of this strength.
            A large number of these men served on the cruiser, ORP Dragon.

            Best Wishes
            Robert Ostrycharz

            --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, martin stepek wrote:

            > Lucyna
            >

            > The Polish Navy was very small. Only 4,500. I know this because I have about a dozen to twenty photos of my father and naval friends and colleagues, most of whose identities I don’t know. If I get the time I’d like to set up a kind of “Search for wartime Polish sailors photographs” website. This would allow families of WW2 Polish Navy personnel to put up their photos and search others’ to see if they can find previously unknown photos of their relatives. After all if I have photos of Polish sailors in my possession it suggests that others will have photos of my father in their possession. Anyone who could help set this up please get in touch because I have the vision but neither the time nor the expertise to do it properly.
            >

            > I wonder if anyone has any stats on the number of Siberiaks who ended up being transferred to the navy. My Dad joined Anders Army on 10th Feb 1942 at Kermine, contracted typhus so couldn’t leave with the vast majority of the troops, eventually left in August 1942, promptly contracted dysentery twice then malaria so spend from August 42 to January 43 in hospital in Teheran before rejoining Anders in Basra, Iraq. There he promptly fell ill again. At that point a friend told him the Navy were recruiting and Dad thought of it as a way to leave the Middle-East and its tropical diseases. By March he was in Kirkcaldy here in Scotland training before being transferred to Poland Naval HQ near Plymouth. For the next two years he served as radar operator on Polish ships in Sicily, Italy (including pounding around Monte Cassino to distract the enemy from defending it in greater numbers), D-Day in Normandy and finally Germany itself.
            >

            > I think his war was quite rare for a Syberiak and would be interested to learn if there are many - any? - other examples of transferences of survivors of Siberia spending the war in the navy rather than army or civilian life.
            >

            > Martin Stepek
            >
            > Author, For There is Hope
            >
            > “tender and impassioned, it should be on every table where Poland is discussed and the brave dead remembered” Neal Ascherson
            >
            > Available from Amazon, Waterstones or directly from the publishers www.ettadunn.com
            >

            > Sent from Windows Mail

          • annapacewicz
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 1, 2013
              Hi Karen,

              Unfortunately the listing is not alphabeticised... it seems to go by a number coding for the Polish Navy (maybe by ship?). So it is hard to search but I have found:

              St. Mar. GIERKA Ludwik I I/43-40/42

              St. Mar. NIKIEL Edward

              I went through the list twice and could not find Josef Nikiel... but as the list is so laborious to search not being alphabeticized it's possible I missed it or else your father had a middle name Edward??? Let me know and if it's not him I will look again :)

              Martin I also found St. Mar STEPEK Jan - Is that your father? He is very close in listing to my father St. Mar PACEWICZ Wladyslaw. This seems to be under a general heading "Medal morski za - rzetelna sluzbe na morzu (z jednym okuciem)".

              Kind regards, Anna

              --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, "Vincent Geffroy" wrote:

              > Hi Anna
              >
              > I should like to know if the name of my late father, or any of his family, appears in your book "Polska Marynarka Wojenna". The surnames NIKIEL & GERCYK/GIERCYK/HERCYK (or similar) would be of interest to me. My father was Edward Josef NIKIEL.
              >
              > Kind Regards
              > Karen Geffroy (Nikiel)
              > Cape Town

            • Vincent Geffroy
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 1, 2013
                Hi Anna

                Thank you so much for taking the trouble to search the list for me. I am very excited that my late father is listed. St.Mar. NIKIEL, Edward must be him. His second name was Josef, not his first. If I may ask, what is the number assigned to him? From his MOD records he has a number. He also had an 8 digit number assigned to him when he signed up in Tockoje. Perhaps the numbers you mentioned are the individual's service number. I do not know the name GIERKA, Ludwik, but I am going to keep the information for future reference. Are there any other NIKIEL'S listed? My father apparently had a brother who served in the navy, but he did not survive.

                Hope your weather has eased off a bit in Australia. My son & his wife arrived last week from Sydney for an 18 day holiday & by all accounts you are having a torrid time with heatwaves & fires. He works as a Meteorologist in the extreme weather section of the NSW Weather Service, so has been kept very very busy over the last couple of months!!

                Best Regards
                Karen Geffroy (Nikiel)
                Cape Town

                Unfortunately the listing is not alphabeticised... it seems to go by a number coding for the Polish Navy (maybe by ship?). So it is hard to search but I have found:

                St. Mar. GIERKA Ludwik I I/43-40/42

                St. Mar. NIKIEL Edward

                I went through the list twice and could not find Josef Nikiel... but as the list is so laborious to search not being alphabeticized it's possible I missed it or else your father had a middle name Edward??? Let me know and if it's not him I will look again :)

                Martin I also found St. Mar STEPEK Jan - Is that your father? He is very close in listing to my father St. Mar PACEWICZ Wladyslaw. This seems to be under a general heading "Medal morski za - rzetelna sluzbe na morzu (z jednym okuciem)".

                Kind regards, Anna

                --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, "Vincent Geffroy" wrote:

                > Hi Anna
                >
                > I should like to know if the name of my late father, or any of his family, appears in your book "Polska Marynarka Wojenna". The surnames NIKIEL & GERCYK/GIERCYK/HERCYK (or similar) would be of interest to me. My father was Edward Josef NIKIEL.
                >
                > Kind Regards
                > Karen Geffroy (Nikiel)
                > Cape Town

              • annapacewicz
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 2, 2013
                  Hi Karen,

                  My pleasure! I did have another look and could not find another Nikiel... though it is possible I missed it because it is a hard list to search. However we are going to have the list scanned and digitalised with the names listed in KSVM. There was no number but I double checked and there was no number for my Father either. It seems that the listing is by medal and only the higher medals such as Virtuti Militari had the recipients numbers listed. The majority of the list come under the "sea medal" and have no number attributed. But within the sea medal listing I think the names may be by ship as well. I will keep you posted!

                  Yes it wild weather here in Australia so I am not at all surprised that your son in law has been kept busy.

                  Do keep in touch,

                  Kind regards
                  Anna Pacewicz
                  Sydney

                  --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, "Vincent Geffroy" wrote:

                  > Hi Anna
                  >
                  > Thank you so much for taking the trouble to search the list for me. I am very excited that my late father is listed. St.Mar. NIKIEL, Edward must be him. His second name was Josef, not his first. If I may ask, what is the number assigned to him? From his MOD records he has a number. He also had an 8 digit number assigned to him when he signed up in Tockoje. Perhaps the numbers you mentioned are the individual's service number. I do not know the name GIERKA, Ludwik, but I am going to keep the information for future reference. Are there any other NIKIEL'S listed? My father apparently had a brother who served in the navy, but he did not survive.
                  >
                  > Hope your weather has eased off a bit in Australia. My son & his wife arrived last week from Sydney for an 18 day holiday & by all accounts you are having a torrid time with heatwaves & fires. He works as a Meteorologist in the extreme weather section of the NSW Weather Service, so has been kept very very busy over the last couple of months!!
                  >
                  > Best Regards
                  > Karen Geffroy (Nikiel)
                  > Cape Town

                • Vincent Geffroy
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 5, 2013
                    Hi Anna

                    My father does have various medals, including the Virtuti Militari. My brother in the UK has all of them together, with a couple of the citations. The 2 British medals had either not been claimed by my father, or he did not know about them, as they were sent to my brother after he had requested my father's MOD records after his death. According to those records, he was awarded the following:

                    Polish Medals: Virtuti Militari (Polish VC) Africa France & Germany

                    Stryz Walezmyk (Polish DSC) Naval Campaign

                    Polish Naval Medal

                    French Medals: Croix de Guerre

                    British Medals: 1939-45 Star Atlantic Star France & Germany

                    1939-45 War Medal

                    According to my father, his Croix de Guerre was awarded for operations near Bordeaux.

                    Kind Regards                                                                                                                                                                                 Karen Geffroy (Nikiel)

                    My pleasure! I did have another look and could not find another Nikiel... though it is possible I missed it because it is a hard list to search. However we are going to have the list scanned and digitalised with the names listed in KSVM. There was no number but I double checked and there was no number for my Father either. It seems that the listing is by medal and only the higher medals such as Virtuti Militari had the recipients numbers listed. The majority of the list come under the "sea medal" and have no number attributed. But within the sea medal listing I think the names may be by ship as well. I will keep you posted!

                    Yes it wild weather here in Australia so I am not at all surprised that your son in law has been kept busy.

                    Do keep in touch,

                    Kind regards
                    Anna Pacewicz
                    Sydney

                    --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, "Vincent Geffroy" wrote:

                    > Hi Anna
                    >
                    > Thank you so much for taking the trouble to search the list for me. I am very excited that my late father is listed. St.Mar. NIKIEL, Edward must be him. His second name was Josef, not his first. If I may ask, what is the number assigned to him? From his MOD records he has a number. He also had an 8 digit number assigned to him when he signed up in Tockoje. Perhaps the numbers you mentioned are the individual's service number. I do not know the name GIERKA, Ludwik, but I am going to keep the information for future reference. Are there any other NIKIEL'S listed? My father apparently had a brother who served in the navy, but he did not survive.
                    >
                    > Hope your weather has eased off a bit in Australia. My son & his wife arrived last week from Sydney for an 18 day holiday & by all accounts you are having a torrid time with heatwaves & fires. He works as a Meteorologist in the extreme weather section of the NSW Weather Service, so has been kept very very busy over the last couple of months!!
                    >
                    > Best Regards
                    > Karen Geffroy (Nikiel)
                    > Cape Town

                  • annapacewicz
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 5, 2013
                      Hi Karen,

                      How wonderful for you! But really I cannot make sense of this book. I will scan the pages shortly and send them to you / post them.

                      There are 52 names under the Virtuti Militari but your father is not listed so I really don't know how it all works.

                      The title by this listing is "Kawalerowie Orderu Wojennego Virtuti Militari 1939-45: Stopnie przy nazwiskach wg. danych w chwili odznaczenia".

                      As this book is Polish, it only lists the Polish medals. My Dad has several British MoD medals in addition to Polish ones but these are not accounted for in the listing.

                      I will keep plugging away it.

                      Best regards
                      Anna Pacewicz
                      Sydney