Christmas in Poland 1939 and Soviet deportation

  • Lucyna Artymiuk
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 28, 2013
    • Lenarda Szymczak
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 28, 2013

        Lucyna, this is extraordinary and wonderful, especially as it is recorded in English and listening to Maria speak, I was able to relive my mother’s Helena Chmielewska from Niwna, journey. So emotional for me to almost being there, thank you. Now it gives me a greater sense of the hurt experienced by the family.  I will share this with my children so they can understand and know their grandmothers history and their own history.

        On 17.12.1937 the Soviet Soldiers came to mothers house, one stood at each window  and door, to prevent escape, the others came inside the house and my grandmother Kamila was cutting bread with a large knife, they took this away, ordered the family not to move, searched the house and took my grandfather  Mikolaj away, to the shouts from my uncle Kamilo  of “run father run” and the reply from my grandfather Mikolaj  “I am innocent, I did nothing wrong, they will see this and I will come back”.  The family was not allowed to cry or show emotion, especially Kamila his wife, as they would have taken her as well and she needed to stay with the children.  Mikolaj was taken away in a horse drawn sledge in the middle of winter, he never came back, being sentenced before a Troika to 6 years hard labour or death, sent off to Swierdlowsk na Urali and one year later 1938, he was reported deceased.  The family with only Kamila and her daughter (my mother) Helena, being the second oldest, were left to care for themselves and work in the collective farm.  My mother was only 12 years old and needed to care for her mother who was sick with Typhoid and three (3) younger siblings, being full time carer, working and bringing home food, otherwise they would all go hungry .  this is a common story for many but the video allowed me to personally feel the tragedy, so close, almost being there, in my mother’s journey.  Thank you again.

        Warmest regards,

        Lenarda, Sydney, Australia

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 28, 2013
          Can anyone tell me the name of the Christmas Carol at the end of the video?
          Sophia

          --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, "Lucyna Artymiuk" wrote:

          > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3fRdG6tXCc

        • Danuta Janina Wójcik
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 28, 2013
            Religious Hymn - Wsrod Nocnej Ciszy - In the Silence/Quiet of the Night

            Midnight Mass Hymn

            English Text

            http://ingeb.org/spiritua/wsrodnoc.html

            Sung by Budka Suflera

            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tur9Vtn_QYE

            Wsrod Nocnej Ciszy - Karaoke version

            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85GpmBdn5x4

            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 29, 2013
              W Srod Nocnej Ciszy - "In the quiet of the night"
              That recording is lovely!
              I wonder if the camp (wedding photos) is Fairford England. I remember walls like that around the camp I lived in
              --

              Basia (Sydney)

              From: alphadea <podrozny@...>
              Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 04:35:26 -0000
              To: <Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com>

              Can anyone tell me the name of the Christmas Carol at the end of the video?
              Sophia

              --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, "Lucyna Artymiuk" wrote:

              > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3fRdG6tXCc

            • Barbara Milligan