Re: [www.Kresy-Siberia.org] Re: NEIGHBOURS ON THE EVE OF THE HOLOCAUST (1939-1941)

  • Stanislaw Zwierzynski
    Message 1 of 76 , Jan 27, 2013
    • 774 KB
    Those Belarusians who became Catholic, began to call themselves Poles (this was in 21-39 and before KRESY), but the features of writing names confirms belonging to Belarusian ethnos.

    Those Belarusians who have remained in Orthodox Church, for years 1921-39 really depressing. And do not even discuss it. My extended family, now living there yet, it is confirmed. No need to refer to some "historians" who write works without reference to reality.

    Incidentally, this explains bitterness with which the Belarusians after arrival of the Red Army to destroy Poles in Kresy - certainly not as active as it did UPA in Ukraine.

    Older brother of my grandmother, Jan, Belarusian punitivewas killed in Koldychewo near Baranowicz - they killed about 22 thousand people, mostly Poles and Jews, living in Kresy.

    The camp was conceived specifically to destroy them. Killed - Belarusians, brutally, horribly. Read, what I quickly found.

    The file has an interview with a wonderful man - A. Titorenko, who wrote a truthful book that was going on in Belarus in 1939-35 years. Of course, this view of a Belarusian. You may not like it. But history should be studied from different perspectives, and not repeat the same thing.

    So - on KRESY was not monolithic people, as some want to argue here. Were Polish: Poles, Jews, Belarusians and Ukrainians. Estates division was great.

    By the way, how write Polish scientists, and in the Polish society was a great division in the 1921-39 years. For example, people in central Poland with disdain (if not - share contempt) are among those, who have lived on Kresy.

    Stan from M.

    Message 76 of 76 , Jan 29, 2013
      Akcja Wisla uprooted ALL Greek Catholics, not just Lemkos.
      From: Zenon Kuzik <zenon.kuzik@...>
      Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 20:16:19 -0800 (PST)
      To: "Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com" <Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com>

      Dear Basia,

      What a great reply - thank you!  Stanislaw from Moscow's contribution certainly gave food for thought as well.

      Another aspect that "distances" me from modern Poland is that I have come across recent immigrants from that country who are not at all interested in connecting with the older Poles of my parents' generation. They seem to regard them as foreigners!  Anyhow, I was heartened when a man in Wroclaw, whose family was originally from Volhynia, said that my father spoke much better Polish than most people in present-day Poland.  We multi-ethnics from the former Eastern Poland are the true heirs of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth.  What a shame that the Lithuanian lady referred to by Dan Ford in his recent post has such a narrow (blinkered?) view of the past.

      Gratefully,

      Zenon Kuzik
      Across the Ditch from Sydney