Re: [www.Kresy-Siberia.org] SevZelDorLag

  • Stanislaw Zwierzynski
    Message 1 of 31 , Jan 20, 2013
      Dear Basia!

      I have the same job - to find, in which camp (and beyond - camp punkt, item) was my grandfather. I only know that he spent 1.5 years in Komi, was exhausted to utmost and a miracle (as I now realize) was in reserve grade "C" in 3 DSK. I understand that he was helped by the fact that he fought and had a reward for  war 1918-20.

      So I will do everything possible to find traces of my grandfather. Resistance is great - I wrote 5 letters and everywhere one answer. But I'm not giving up. I breaking them.
      As I wrote after 2011 case of Professor Suprun from Arkhangelsk, MVD almost closed its archives. I am in contact with Mikhail Rogachev - head of the Memorial Society in Komi. But even for him archives are now closed.
      This year will be released the last, so call "people" tom of Memorial Komi, there may be something. This information is collected by different people literally bit by bit, went to homes, sat in the library. Tremendous work and voluntary.

      Basia, as I wrote in 1940-41, in Komi 5 large camps. UhtiZhemLag - one of them. But I think there must be sought in the last turn. There are several reasons
      1. Prisoners UhtiZhemLag are most revealed in the writings Rogachev with friends and made in Memorial Komi. This he told me  - the work was in the early 2000's, when archives were still open.
      2. According to my preliminary estimates, in UhtiZhemLage sat  minimum percentage of Poles.
      3. Some confusing town of Ukhta. But the center of this camp was in a different place.

      Basia, kindly tell me all known information about your father. Whether he was convicted (key word - sentence) or prisoners of war remained without penalty. When he was arrested. When released.

      Stan.

      Message 31 of 31 , Jan 20, 2013
        Hi John,

        Thank you so much for posting the translation. I have just finished reading it and printing it off. As you know, my father was there too.

        Best wishes,

        Basia (UK)
        On 20 Jan 2013, at 00:51, John Halucha wrote:

        Thank you very much for sharing this dissertation about construction of the Kotlas-Pechora railway in Komi, Stan.
        My father was enslaved in that region and helped to build that railway.
        For those who have not yet read the document but are interested in this location, I am attaching a raw Google translation to save you some time. I don't speak Russian, less say read Russian, so cannot speak to the accuracy of the translation. However, it seems to read quite well and no doubt we can extract at least the broad meaning. Someone with a working knowledge of Russian may find it useful as a preliminary stage and undertake to do a better translation.
        This is a scholarly work short on conditions in the camps and long on underlying political decisions. The main lesson I took from it is that slave labour for development of Komi, particularly the railway through the region, was the motivation for incarcerating people like my father - the "corrective" element of imprisonment was a cynical front. The author does not shy away from emphasizing the cruelty and violence inherent in the repressions.
        Again, thank you Stan for this interesting window into the minds of the perpetrators.

        John Halucha
        Sault Ste Marie, Canada

        PS Mark T. - A pox on the all their houses, or arenas. After shovelling the latest dump of snow here, I found this document a better way to spend my afternoon.